What is wrong release?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What is wrong release?

Post by SarathW »

What is wrong release?

MN 117: Maha-cattarisaka Sutta wrote:
In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge... In one of right knowledge, right release comes into being. Thus the learner is endowed with eight factors, and the arahant with ten.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

santa100

Re: What is wrong release?

Post by santa100 »

If the 2 factors of Right Knowledge, Right Liberation distinguish the arahant from the one in training, then the 2 factors of Wrong Knowledge, Wrong Liberation distinguish someone worse than an inferior person as described in SN 45.26:
"And what, bhikkhus, is the inferior person? Here someone is of wrong view ... wrong concentration. This is called the inferior person.

“And what, bhikkhus, is the one who is worse than the inferior person? Here someone is of wrong view ... wrong concentration, wrong knowledge, wrong liberation. This is called the one who is worse than the inferior person.
Ven. Bodhi's footnote:
The two additional qualities are micchañami and micchavimutti . Spk glosses the former as micchapaccavekkhama, “wrong reviewing,” on which Spk-pt says: “When one has done something evil, one reviews it with the idea that it was good.” Spk explains micchavimutti as a false liberation (ayathavavimutti), a non-emancipating liberation (aniyyanikavimutti ).

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks.
For example a person who kills his enemy and think I have released from my problems, am I correct?
Is right release means Nirvana?
So a person who attained Nirvana thinks “I release from bondage due to attachment, aversion and ignorance”.

santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote:For example a person who kills his enemy and think I have released from my problems, am I correct?
Is right release means Nirvana?
So a person who attained Nirvana thinks “I release from bondage due to attachment, aversion and ignorance”.
Anything that one did that was unwholesome and yet s/he thinks that it's wholesome would be Wrong Reviewing. Killing someone and thinking that one has ended his enemy's misery or his own misery would qualify.
Regarding Right Liberation, it doesn't mean "I've been released from bondage" for one has transcended all I, mine, and myself. S/he would just had the "experience" of liberation from all defilements that's called Right Liberation.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Great! :)