Online Sangha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
FairyFeller

Online Sangha

Post by FairyFeller »

I live in the depths of conservative England and my nearest access to a centre for Theravada is more than two hours away by car via a complicated route into the middle of nowhere serviced by no public transport. I only feel myself drawn down the Theravada path so wouldn't feel comfortable going to any of the other branches of Buddhism.

Can anybody point me in the direction of an online sangha please? I am very happy travelling the two hour car journey every now and then to visit and drop off my donations but I like to contemplate when I learn something or talk to somebody and it can be quite distracting on a long care journey. It's also an awful lot of fossil fuel to burn just for little old me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope somebody can offer some advice.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Online Sangha

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think you already found it .
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

FairyFeller wrote:I live in the depths of conservative England and my nearest access to a centre for Theravada is more than two hours away by car via a complicated route into the middle of nowhere serviced by no public transport. I only feel myself drawn down the Theravada path so wouldn't feel comfortable going to any of the other branches of Buddhism.

Can anybody point me in the direction of an online sangha please? I am very happy travelling the two hour car journey every now and then to visit and drop off my donations but I like to contemplate when I learn something or talk to somebody and it can be quite distracting on a long care journey. It's also an awful lot of fossil fuel to burn just for little old me.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope somebody can offer some advice.
I did a google.com search about Buddhist London, and it seems that I got a lot of results. London has a lot of public transportation.

I visited Amaravati in England. I read a booklet about monk's on Tudong in England. My reading also indicated that the monks are developing, like more branches, more places for monks to reside.

It is easy to find a monk who speaks English at Amaravati. Maybe you could give them a call, or an Email, of visit there sometime.
Last edited by Ananda26 on Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paribbajaka

Post by Paribbajaka »

Ananda26 wrote:
I did a google.com search about Buddhist London, and it seems that I got a lot of results. London has a lot of public transportation.

England is more than just London. Perhaps the original poster lives somewhere else in the country.
May all beings be happy!
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Paribbajaka wrote: England is more than just London. Perhaps the original poster lives somewhere else in the country.
I would be inclined to agree.

I would think 'Depths of conservative England' is about as far removed from London as one might get!
When I tell people I come from Scotland, they always mention Edinburgh, forgetting that there is a huge area of Scotland that is nowhere near Edinburgh....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
x1404

Post by x1404 »

FairyFeller wrote:Can anybody point me in the direction of an online sangha please?
Dharma Overground occasionally organizes online sits and meetings via Google Hangouts. That might suit you.