Does unwholesome thinking generate bad kamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aloka

Re: Does unwholesome thinking generate bad kamma?

Post by Aloka »

Strive4Karuna wrote:
Aren't I suppose to live in the present moment and not think about what kind of kamma each action will bear? Nothing seems authentic anymore. I dont even know who I am or if any of my actions are genuine or not, it is causing me suffering. Yes I can try and shape it, but cant I do it without worrying about kamma & rebirth.
I like what Gil Fronsdal says from page 27 of "The Issue at Hand - Essays on Buddhist Mindfulness Practice".
Central to Buddhist spiritual practice is a deep appreciation of the present moment and the possibilities that exist in the present for waking up and being free of suffering. The present is the only place our creativity exists. The Buddhist notion of karma is closely tied to that creativity.

The concept of karma is not some idea about past lives; nor is it a law of predetermination. If you believe that your happiness is predetermined, it leaves no space for you to affect your happiness and your suffering. Spiritual practice includes choice. The Buddha stressed that if you have too strict an idea of karma, there is no room for choice.

The Buddha said, “What I call karma is intention.” In other words, the teaching of karma is about the intentional choices we
make in the present. The present moment is to be appreciated mindfully and relaxed into, as we do in meditation. But it is also where we choose how to step forward into the next moment. The more clearly we see the choice, the greater the freedom and creativity we have in making it.

The present moment is partly the result of our choices in the past and partly the result of our choices unfolding in the present.Our experience of the next moment, the next day, the next decade, is shaped by the choices we make in relationship to where we find ourselves right now. Intended acts of body, speech and mind have consequences; taking these consequences into account offers important guidance in our choices for action. But these consequences are not fixed or mechanical.

Continued :http://ebooks.borekingdom.com/wp-conten ... AtHand.pdf
:anjali: