Perspectives on Satipatthana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
badscooter

Perspectives on Satipatthana

Post by badscooter »

I just received the Venerable Analayo's new book Perspectives on Satipatthana a few days ago. It might just be the most scholarly, in depth, and analytical book on the satipatthana that I have come across. The Venerable has done superb research and work of the suttas and the agamas. He has taken the oldest known documents of both and studied their similarities and difference (where they exist). This is a great book for all who are interested in the dhamma but is mainly directed at people practicing buddhist meditation. Especially for those who practice satipatthana meditation. It is written with the same intelligent, open-minded attitude that I have come to appreciate from the Venerable.

I highly recommend this book to all. It is a great read because of how well it was written and because of the overabundance of information given by the venerable.
It is not too lengthy, about 300 pages. I have read through it in only a couple days.
Has anyone else read this book?
If so what are your opinions about it?

maha metta

:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Ben

Re: Perspectives on Satipatthana

Post by Ben »

Thanks Billymac,
The publication has been in my amazon basket since it went up on pre-order some time ago.
Unfortunately, I'll just have to wait for my finances to improve and my current mountain of books is eroded somewhat before I order it. I am familiar with, and am a fan of, Ven Analayo's work.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Re: Perspectives on Satipatthana

Post by Cittasanto »

I have it also, got two books to read befor I open it though.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill