Writings of Ajahn Mun?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
PsychedelicSunSet

Writings of Ajahn Mun?

Post by PsychedelicSunSet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 pm

I've begun reading Ajahn Maha Boowa's biography of Ajahn Mun, and am about halfway through. It's been bringing up a lot of questions/confusion in my mind (which others have discussed thoroughly elsewhere and needs no repeating) and has got me to wondering; are there any good/definitive writings by Ajahn Mun himself? I've read a lot of Ajahn Chah and Ajaan Lee's writings/dhammatalks, but I've never read anything directly from Ajahn Mun. Are there any "must reads" or definitive writings by Ajahn Mun with the heart of his teachings or methods of practice? Any suggestions or information would be much appreciated.

:anjali:
Metta

Mkoll

Re: Writings of Ajahn Mun?

Post by Mkoll » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 am

I've never seen any outside of that biography and snippets here and there in other authors' works. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever wrote a book or article for general publication.

I'd be interested as well.

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 am

I believe these are all there are.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/mun/index.html

However I do recolect one was thought to of been writen down by another, a search of topics on DhammaWheel may provide some light.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am

Cittasanto wrote:I believe these are all there are.

However I do recolect one was thought to of been writen down by another, a search of topics on DhammaWheel may provide some light.

I did some searches on each of those books and was unable to find anything definitive.

Metta

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 am

What about this?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

vishuroshan

Post by vishuroshan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm

AJAHN MUN lived in the forest, and the communication was not developed at that time. his students are also not living now. thats why we are not aware of his teachings. he had a master called AJAHN SAO. no one knows about him also. ajahn chah had a master (arahat) called Ajahn tong raat. there;s not even a photo of that monk.
but we have one enlighted monk in SRI LANKA stil living. he's one of the best arahats int he world. (most powerful out of everyone)

VEN. VAJIRA BUDDHI http://www.pathtonibbana.com

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:07 am

PsychedelicSunSet wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I believe these are all there are.

I did some searches on each of those books and was unable to find anything definitive.

Metta
Hi
I was thinking of this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21936656 which was discussed on DhammaWheel I believe.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill