Ten funniest scenes from the Pali Canon

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Anagarika

Re: Ten funniest scenes from the Pali Canon

Post by Anagarika »

Last edited by Anagarika on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The only reason I can think of as to why I found this funny is the rather quirky impression that I have of Ānanda; he stands out as one of the most human of all the people in the Canon.
'Ānanda, whoever has developed the four roads to power, practised them frequently, made them his vehicle, made them his base, established them, become familiar with them and properly undertaken them, could undoubtedly live for a century, or the remainder of one. The Tathāgata has developed these powers,...properly undertaken them. And he could, Ānanda, undoubtedly live for a century or the remainder of one.'

But the Venerable Ānanda, failing to grasp this broad hint, this clear sign, did not beg the Lord: 'Lord, may the Blessed Lord stay for a century, may the Well-Farer stay for a century for the benefit and happiness of the multitude, out of compassion for the world, for the benefit and happiness of devas and humans', so much was his mind possessed by Māra

And a second time..., and a third time...(as above)
-DN 16

:heart: Ananda
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
binocular

Post by binocular »

tiltbillings wrote:Some of the humor can only be seen as deliberate.
I don't see it that way, at least not in terms of trying to produce sit-com kind of humor.

This from Bhikkhu Sujato's page - "Come on. A huge troll smashing a shiny bald head in the moonlight? How is this not funny? The episode is pure slapstick". No, I don't find that funny.

Last week, I first read the sutta on celibacy, I quoted it earlier here. I don't recall when I last laughed so much as when reading that sutta. I often smile, and laugh, when reading suttas - but this is primarily out of admiration for insight and style.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is not funny but I could not stop laughing.
Sorry!
But I wanted to share it with you.
:)
===========

http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp/ve ... ?verse=037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Kusala wrote:
cooran wrote:Hello all,

Ten Funniest scenes from the Pali Canon
http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/ ... ali-canon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
One of my personal favorites from the canon is the Ariyapariyesana Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

The Buddha had a sense of humor... :lol:

"...Then, having stayed at Uruvela as long as I liked, I set out to wander by stages to Varanasi. Upaka the Ajivaka saw me on the road between Gaya and the (place of) Awakening, and on seeing me said to me, 'Clear, my friend, are your faculties. Pure your complexion, and bright. On whose account have you gone forth? Who is your teacher? In whose Dhamma do you delight?'

"When this was said, I replied to Upaka the Ajivaka in verses:

Buddha:

'All-vanquishing,
all-knowing am I,
with regard to all things,
unadhering.
All-abandoning,
released in the ending of craving:
having fully known on my own,
to whom should I point as my teacher?

I have no teacher,
and one like me can't be found.
In the world with its devas,
I have no counterpart.

For I am an arahant in the world;
I, the unexcelled teacher.
I, alone, am rightly self-awakened.
Cooled am I, unbound.

To set rolling the wheel of Dhamma
I go to the city of Kasi.
In a world become blind,
I beat the drum of the Deathless.'

Upaka the Ajivaka:

"'From your claims, my friend, you must be an infinite conqueror.'

Buddha:

'Conquerors are those like me
who have reached fermentations' end.
I've conquered evil qualities,
and so, Upaka, I'm a conqueror.'

"When this was said, Upaka said, 'May it be so, my friend,' and - shaking his head, taking a side-road - he left.
If this meeting had taken place online at a forum like DW nowadays, he would probably have had comments like: Avoid teachers that claim that they are the only one that know the path and the rest are wrong.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Ten Funniest scenes from the Pali Canon
http://sujato.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/ ... ali-canon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
For me this is the funniest from the list:

Dighanakha approaches the Buddha and without ado declares his doctrine to him. With a name like ‘Long-nails’, you know this is not going to end well. His doctrine is, ‘Nothing whatsoever is pleasing to me’. The Buddha responds with one of the best one-liners in the Suttas: ‘Well, this view of yours, is that pleasing to you?’

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

dhammarelax wrote:
Kusala wrote:

If this meeting had taken place online at a forum like DW nowadays, he would probably have had comments like: Avoid teachers that claim that they are the only one that know the path and the rest are wrong.

smile all the time
dhammarelax
I think Upaka is a quite an intelligent man.
He is not a gullible person. He join the order and became an Arhant latter on.
Buddha had to convince even his first five ascetics.

Buddha is our ultimate teacher.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”