Linear, holographic or gradual?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Linear, holographic or gradual?

Post by SarathW »

Following passage is from the book I am currently reading.
-----------------------
A quick review of the seven sets will show that all of them develop both in a linear and in a holographic way.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... part2.html

----------------------------
The way I remember is that Buddha once showed a monk a muddy stream caused by some animal crossing and said to a monk “Monk this muddy water will gradually will become clear water.
That is how you eliminate fetter and attain Nirvana” or words to that effect.

Can someone help me to find above in the Sutta? I also appreciate your input and your thoughts.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Martin Po

Re: Linear, holographic or gradual?

Post by Martin Po »

Gradual.
It's not the same sutta, but it show it clear:
MN 24 PTS: M i 145
Ratha-vinita Sutta: Relay Chariots

"So, my friend, I will give you an analogy, for there are cases where it's through analogies that knowledgeable people can understand the meaning of what is being said. Suppose that while King Pasenadi Kosala was staying at Savatthi, some urgent business were to arise at Saketa; and that between Savatthi and Saketa seven relay chariots were made ready for him. Coming out the door of the inner palace in Savatthi, he would get in the first relay chariot. By means of the first relay chariot he would reach the second relay chariot. Getting out of the first relay chariot he would get in the second relay chariot. By means of the second relay chariot he would reach the third... by means of the third he would reach the fourth... by means of the fourth, the fifth... by means of the fifth, the sixth... by means of the sixth he would reach the seventh relay chariot. Getting out of the sixth relay chariot he would get in the seventh relay chariot. By means of the seventh relay chariot he would finally arrive at the door of the inner palace at Saketa. As he arrived there, his friends & companions, relatives & kin would ask him, 'Great king, did you come from Savatthi to the door of the inner palace in Saketa by means of this chariot?' Answering in what way, my friend, would King Pasenadi Kosala answer them correctly?"

"Answering in this way, my friend, he would answer them correctly: 'Just now, as I was staying at Savatthi, some urgent business arose at Saketa; and between Savatthi and Saketa seven relay chariots were made ready for me. Coming out the door of the inner palace in Savatthi, I got in the first relay chariot. By means of the first relay chariot I reached the second relay chariot. Getting out of the first relay chariot I got in the second relay chariot. By means of the second relay chariot I reached the third... by means of the third I reached the fourth... by means of the fourth, the fifth... by means of the fifth, the sixth... by means of the sixth I reached the seventh relay chariot. Getting out of the sixth relay chariot I got in the seventh relay chariot. By means of the seventh relay chariot I finally arrived at the door of the inner palace at Saketa.' Answering in this way, he would answer them correctly."

"In the same way, my friend, purity in terms of virtue is simply for the sake of purity in terms of mind. Purity in terms of mind is simply for the sake of purity in terms of view. Purity in terms of view is simply for the sake of purity in terms of the overcoming of perplexity. Purity in terms of the overcoming of perplexity is simply for the sake of purity in terms of knowledge & vision of what is & is not the path. Purity in terms of knowledge & vision of what is & is not the path is simply for the sake of purity in terms of knowledge & vision of the way. Purity in terms of knowledge & vision of the way is simply for the sake of purity in terms of knowledge & vision. Purity in terms of knowledge & vision is simply for the sake of total Unbinding through lack of clinging. And it's for the sake of total Unbinding through lack of clinging that the holy life is lived under the Blessed One."
cooran

Re: Linear, holographic or gradual?

Post by cooran »

SarathW wrote: The way I remember is that Buddha once showed a monk a muddy stream caused by some animal crossing and said to a monk “Monk this muddy water will gradually will become clear water.
That is how you eliminate fetter and attain Nirvana” or words to that effect.

Can someone help me to find above in the Sutta? I also appreciate your input and your thoughts.
It wasn't the Buddha. It was Lao-Tzu
http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/salt/salt06.htm

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---