Did Arthur C. Clarke say this?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
soapy3

Re: Did Arthur C. Clarke say this?

Post by soapy3 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:33 pm

tiltbillings wrote:I am not making out that Clarke was pro-Buddhist; rather, he had a rather interesting insight into the Buddhist origins, in that they were dependent upon the teachings of a particular man without the need for resurrections, miracles, and ascensions into heaven and such.
Rebirth and nibanna for most people would seem to fit into the same boxes as resurrections and ascensions. More life than this one, and a spiritual evolution to be had.

It is not to say that the supernatural stuff is not to be found in the suttas, but one can strip it away and still be left with something deeply profound.
That seems like a fantastic way to distinguish Theravada from other religions. What is left once you strip out all of the supernatural? I think many other religions would at least collections of stories/myths that would contain valuable life advice if those stories were taken as metaphors. I don't know enough about world religions, but it seems that Theravada would have a unified message left after the other elements were burned off. Maybe Christianity too if people decided to burn everything away, consider Christ to be a man or a collection of men, keeping only his ethical advice.

soapy3

Post by soapy3 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:35 pm

David Snyder posted a summary of Pew research data in another thread that is projecting that Islam will become the dominant religion in the world in the years to come.

soapy3

Post by soapy3 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I read the summary of Childhood's End on Wikipedia. I think I might have read it as a small child. I remember reading a story about aliens who resembled demons who couldn't spiritually evolve themselves. It seems like Rodenberry ripped off some big elements of this story for his series "Earth: Final Conflict". Benign alien invaders solving the world's problems, but people getting uppity about humanity stagnating.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

I was an acquaintance of Arthur C. Clarke in the late 80s. He was basically Sri Lanka's only international celebrity and people were also grateful for his contributions to Sri Lanka's use of technology. He was not a Buddhist in any way (not that anyone claims he was). He told me, rather amusedly, that the hierarchy was not terribly pleased and was rather nonplussed by him and the statements about Buddhism in the books.