The causes for wisdom

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
gendun

Re: The causes for wisdom

Post by gendun »

Dan74.
Many Dzogchen students have a well established practice of formal meditation before they encounter Dzogchen..but many don't.
And the latter may well have no practice that corresponds to formal vipassana, samatha, or Zazen.

In a sense it is based on Grace.

Just for interest.
Gendun P. Brownlow.
Karma Kagyu student.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gendun wrote:
Grace: unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Hi robertk
What would be the difference between "remember even the sotapanna still has wives and children : but they don't drink alcohol or steal or cheat or take other men's wives." and " did you see the cat sir"? http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 80#p228685
robertk

Post by robertk »

Not sure of your question. Could you explain a bit more
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

robertk wrote:Not sure of your question. Could you explain a bit more
Well one is a belief that you hold and one is a belief that a taxi drive holds.
They are both a product of the same function.
gendun

Post by gendun »

tiltbillings wrote:
gendun wrote:
Grace: unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
In this instance the definition needs to be widened in include the Grace that the Guru brings that moves us towards liberation.
Which in Dzogchen ( or in Mahamudra ) results in resting in Primordial Awareness.
Last edited by gendun on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gendun P. Brownlow.
Karma Kagyu student.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Mr Man wrote:
Sorry! I forgot about the cat in nepal thatmy taxi driver thought was an inauspicious omen.
Ok I see your question now.
I would say his belief is conditioned by micchadithhi, wrong view.
I think my comments weren't associated with wrong view but I am open to correction?
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

robertk wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
Sorry! I forgot about the cat in nepal thatmy taxi driver thought was an inauspicious omen.
Ok I see your question now.
I would say his belief is conditioned by micchadithhi, wrong view.
I think my comments weren't associated with wrong view but I am open to correction?
But who could correct you robertk? You can only correct yourself and you not in the position to do that.

You can only be where you are. Sometimes we act with micchadithhi and some times we act with silabataparamasa but that doesn't me we should not act.
robertk

Post by robertk »

It is like this, without hearing true Dhamma therecis no possibility of developong the right view leading to vipassana. Yet some people hear Dhamma and it means nothing to them or they misinterpret it.
For some it all makes sense and they see how life and every moment is just like the explanation s in the tipitaka amd commentaries. So they study more and gradually pariyatti turns into pattipati in the sense that that the nature of reality becomes clearer as it arises.

Why are some like this and some like that?
There is a factor called pubekkata punnata, the meritorious accumulated understanding and good deeds from the beginnless past..

So the Dhamma is the teacher, fortunately it is still preserved thanks to the great monks of the past. That is where guidance and correction lie.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

The trouble is it is all coming through you and (I imagine) that there is nothing that you can do to change this. This is our life, our tool. Sometimes by rejecting somthing we actually reinforce it (I'm thinking of silabataparamasa ).
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

robertk wrote:It is like this, without hearing true Dhamma
How do you know it is "true Dhamma" that you are hearing? And I would guess that there is non-"true Dhamma," which is what us meditators are hearing.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
robertk

Post by robertk »

Saddhdhamma, true Dhamma is a frequentvterm in the tipitika to refer to the Buddhas teaching.
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Mr Man wrote:What I find most interesting about robertk's practice is that it seems to be essentially faith based.
Hi Mr Man,

Thanks for bringing this up... one of the hindrances to the practice is actually doubt.

If the person doesn't trust the wisdom, or rather, the way that it is being apprehended (which in fact is the only way that we would encounter someone's wisdom), then he's not going to do the practice. It's one of the big hindrances.

:anjali:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

robertk wrote:You mean we quasi sokka gakkai :tongue:
So do you just work on panna, and leave aside sila and samadhi?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
robertk

Post by robertk »

When there is panna, for those brief moments one is free of illwill, lust and any harmful.factors. there is also samadhi at that time