teachings to rahula

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

teachings to rahula

Post by befriend »

im am confused about the sutta that is a teaching to Rahula

Like unto earth, [29] Rahula, practise meditation. For, O Rahula, by practising meditation like the earth, the contacts that have arisen—agreeable and disagreeable—will not continue to obsess your mind. Just as pure and impure things, Rahula,—excrement, urine, saliva, pus and blood—are cast upon the earth, and yet the earth neither abhors, nor loathes, nor dislikes such things; even so yourself, Rahula, earth-wise, practise meditation. For, Rahula, by practising meditation like the earth, the contacts that have arisen—agreeable and disagreeable—will not continue to obsess your mind

it says earlier that the earth element, the hard parts of the body should be seen as non self and one would be disgusted with them. but it seems here in this excerpt from the same sutta its pointing more towards equanimity not disgust.

here is what is says first

This is not mine; this am I not; this is soulless’; Having seen with perfect knowledge that such is the case, one becomes disgusted with the element of earth, and one’s mind is detached from the element of solidity

any help? metta befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
DAWN

Re: teachings to rahula

Post by DAWN »

Hello my friend.

Similie have a fonction to describe some quality of some phenomena. Similie is the finger which shows a Moon, we have to watch on the Moon and not on the finger.

You have alredy respond on your own question.

In the first quotion, similie of earth is used to discribe the equnanimity. Here earth shows a relationship (between some phenomenas). Description of function.
In the second quotation, similie of earth is used to discribe the solidity. Here earth shows a quality (of some phenomenas). Description of quality.

Friendly.
Last edited by DAWN on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Each aspect of cultivation serves as an antidote to a particular defilement as mentioned toward the end of the sutta: ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
...Develop the meditation of good will. For when you are developing the meditation of good will, ill-will will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of compassion. For when you are developing the meditation of compassion, cruelty will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of appreciation. For when you are developing the meditation of appreciation, resentment will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of equanimity. For when you are developing the meditation of equanimity, irritation will be abandoned.

"Develop the meditation of the unattractive. For when you are developing the meditation of the unattractive, passion will be abandoned...
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

befriend wrote:im am confused about the sutta that is a teaching to Rahula

Like unto earth, [29] Rahula, practise meditation. For, O Rahula, by practising meditation like the earth, the contacts that have arisen—agreeable and disagreeable—will not continue to obsess your mind. Just as pure and impure things, Rahula,—excrement, urine, saliva, pus and blood—are cast upon the earth, and yet the earth neither abhors, nor loathes, nor dislikes such things; even so yourself, Rahula, earth-wise, practise meditation. For, Rahula, by practising meditation like the earth, the contacts that have arisen—agreeable and disagreeable—will not continue to obsess your mind

it says earlier that the earth element, the hard parts of the body should be seen as non self and one would be disgusted with them. but it seems here in this excerpt from the same sutta its pointing more towards equanimity not disgust.

here is what is says first

This is not mine; this am I not; this is soulless’; Having seen with perfect knowledge that such is the case, one becomes disgusted with the element of earth, and one’s mind is detached from the element of solidity

any help? metta befriend
I believe the word disgusted is a mistranslation. The verb in that sentence is the verb nibbindati (I think. I looked it up on the Pali page on ATI) which means to become disenchanted with something, not to be disgusted with something.

I think that resolves most of the issue because equanimity is one of the results of disenchantment. I hope that helps.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
befriend

Post by befriend »

yeah thanks that makes more sense thank you all
metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.