We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The suttas are cool.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
alan

Post by alan »

Damn straight they are Retro!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

alan wrote:So we all agree that reading the suttas is important? Great. And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
Yes, the suttas are the best thing since sliced bread.
:woohoo:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

:candle: :buddha1: [D][M][_S_][_A_][__K__] :buddha1: :candle:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
cbonanno

Post by cbonanno »

alan wrote:I'm astonished to see any argument otherwise. Where would we be without them?
You don't have to revere them, but if you are a Buddhist, everything you know, or think you know, comes from the original teachings. We can argue about points, we can disagree about how best to practice. But we all owe a debt of gratitude to the Buddha for teaching. Where best to find that? In the suttas, of course. They are the best representation of his teachings, and you should read them.
While we know the Dhamma because of the suttas, we do not need the suttas to know the Dhamma.

The Suttas are like a raft, yes? :) Just know that you are using them to cross the stream rather than be pulled by its currents.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

:candle: :buddha1: [D][M][..S..][1..11][K] :buddha1: :candle:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

santa100 wrote::candle: :buddha1: [D][M][..S..][1..11][K] :buddha1: :candle:
?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Oh sorry, guess my decoding of Dave's message makes it worse... :smile: They're the 5 Great Books: Digha, Majjhima, etc..
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
No. The Buddha is the basis of his teachings. He's on record (in the Vinaya) saying he didn't want his teachings written down. Add this to the message of the Kalama Sutta and you have a powerful reason not to invest absolute faith in the suttas, but rather to read them critically.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

danieLion wrote:
alan wrote:And we all agree that the suttas are the basis of all teachings. And I won't hear any disagreements, right?
No. The Buddha is the basis of his teachings. He's on record (in the Vinaya) saying he didn't want his teachings written down. Add this to the message of the Kalama Sutta and you have a powerful reason not to invest absolute faith in the suttas, but rather to read them critically.
Well, the Buddha's dead, so if you would kindly show me the writing where the Buddha says he doesn't want his teachings written down I would appreciate it.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

polarbuddha101 wrote:
danieLion wrote:
Well, the Buddha's dead, so if you would kindly show me the writing where the Buddha says he doesn't want his teachings written down I would appreciate it.
Vinayapitaka Cullavagga V, 33
cbonanno

Post by cbonanno »

danieLion wrote:
Vinayapitaka Cullavagga V, 33
I will read that sutta verse critically. :)

Do you have the text for that, or a link?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

You must be referring to the idea those monks had of having the teachings formally put into Sanskrit, rather than local dialects. The Buddha ruled as follows:
You are not, O Bhikkhus, to put the word of the Buddhas into (Sanskrit) verse. Whosoever does so, shall be guilty of a dukkata. I allow you, O Bhikkhus, to learn the word of the Buddhas each in his own dialect.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
alan

Post by alan »

Perhaps this is just my prejudice, but I'm of the opinion that a basic understanding of the suttas is a necessity for anyone who is serious about the path.
Ignoring them, or, even worse, assuming you know better, is just a sign of ignorance.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:Perhaps this is just my prejudice, but I'm of the opinion that a basic understanding of the suttas is a necessity for anyone who is serious about the path.
Ignoring them, or, even worse, assuming you know better, is just a sign of ignorance.
Did you have someone specific in mind, and/or something particular he/she/they did, said or believe?

I agree that a basic understanding of the suttas is necessary for anyone serious about the path. But such and understanding is impossible without a basic agreement as to which parts are authentic and which parts are not.