On the authority of the suttas.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
danieLion

Re: On the authority of the suttas.

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:I've been on and off this page. It's nice to communicate ideas, and share thoughts with like minded people. But one thing that turns me off is the basic lack of reason I sometimes find.
Please, people, use reason when you respond, and speak from your understanding. Don't try to impress me with odd words. And let it be known that I see through self-indulgent nonsense. Our job is to learn. We do it by reading the suttas, practicing, and hearing from others who are honestly on the path.
Who are you addressing?
danieLion

Re: On the authority of the suttas.

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:Why do you revere the suttas, DanieLion?
1) They're books. I'm bookish and nerdy.
2) They're ancient, religious texts, the study of which (along with the study of religion) has occupied my attention for years.
3) Because of 2, I've noticed how they outshine other religious texts in terms of sheer bulk (although they might have some Eastern rivals) but more importantly in their accompanying history of handlers making good faith gestures to preserve them as close to the "original" as possible.
4) They aid me in keeping on the path, and are top-notch contemplative aids.
5) Despite the unnecessary excess, I believe they contain the Buddha's "core" teachings.
6) The continuing scholarship on them excites me.
7) They are a living tradition of which I can participate in.
8) They give me a starting point for my investigation of the silly things people constantly say about the Buddha and Buddhism.
9) I usually get a good feeling just from reading them.