Rebirth of a Sotapanna

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Rebirth of a Sotapanna

Post by SarathW »

I have read very many ocations that the Sotapanna person will be reborne less than seven times. However
Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw said as follows. Can some one clarify this for me.
"The defilements and kammas are then done away with, once and forever. The yogis who attain sotapatti stage overcome the defilements and kammas that lead to the lower worlds, and those that may cause good rebirth for more than seven lifetimes, the yogis at the sakadagami stage overcome those that may cause more than two rebirths while the yogis at the anagami stage remove those that lead to rebirth in sensual worlds. Finally, the yogi who attains arahatta stage eradicates the remaining defilements and kamma. In other words, he becomes an Arahat, the Noble one who is worthy of honour because he is wholly free from defilements."
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/mahasi-patic ... cca-06.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Rebirth of a Sotapanna

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

SarathW wrote:I have read very many ocations that the Sotapanna person will be reborne less than seven times. However
"The defilements and kammas are then done away with, once and forever. The yogis who attain sotapatti stage overcome the defilements and kammas that lead to the lower worlds, and those that may cause good rebirth for more than seven lifetimes, the yogis at the sakadagami stage overcome those that may cause more than two rebirths while the yogis at the anagami stage remove those that lead to rebirth in sensual worlds. Finally, the yogi who attains arahatta stage eradicates the remaining defilements and kamma. In other words, he becomes an Arahat, the Noble one who is worthy of honour because he is wholly free from defilements."
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/mahasi-patic ... cca-06.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is saying is that a Sotapanna has purified their mind to the point where they will never do anything that would lead them to be reborn in a lower realm, or anything that would make them reborn more than seven times. The same goes for the other stages, except that they will be born even fewer times. Finally, an Arahant will never be born again because they are completely free from anything defiled.

Does that make sense?
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you for your clrification Lonesome. Do you know the reason or logic behind why that Sotapanna will be reborn for less than seven times?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Sarah,

The maximum of seven rebirths can be deduced from a few Suttas, such as:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, as far as I know, there are no suttas that describe a particular person being reborn in the human realm, whereas there are a number of suttas describing rebirth in higher realms.

:anjali:
Mike
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

SarathW wrote:Thank you for your clrification Lonesome. Do you know the reason or logic behind why that Sotapanna will be reborn for less than seven times?
Because, when one becomes a Sotapanna, or "stream-enterer," they have entered the stream that will take them to the ocean, i. e. Nibanna. They have cleared their minds of the defilements that could possibly lead to actions that cause rebirth in Hell. With Sotapannas, it's only "a matter of time" so to speak because they have changed their minds to the point where the seeds for destructive actions just aren't there anymore.

Do you have any experience with farming? Sometimes, if soil is bad, one crop might be okay one year but terrible the next; the quality just goes up and down forever. But when you take time to really enrich the soil with fertilizer or other means, when you remove the stuff that is holding your crop back, then it's only a matter of time before a great crop arises. It might take a little work, maybe a few seasons, but once the soil is really healthy, it can't go back to being bad until a great crop is born of it. That is what Sotapannas have done; they've made the soil of their minds wholesome to the point where they can't go back until the perfect harvest - Nibbana.

Does that make sense?

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Lonesome and Mike. The Sotapanna has eliminated the first three fetters and only seven more fetters to be eliminated. So I wonder whether “seven lives” is just a metaphor to show the small effort (in comparison) required to achieve the final goal.
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

SarathW wrote:Thanks Lonesome and Mike. The Sotapanna has eliminated the first three fetters and only seven more fetters to be eliminated. So I wonder whether “seven lives” is just a metaphor to show the small effort (in comparison) required to achieve the final goal.
You'll probably upset a lot of really conservative people by saying so, but I'm in agreement with you - I doubt a universal natural law keeps track of those lives.

gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote:Thanks Lonesome and Mike. The Sotapanna has eliminated the first three fetters and only seven more fetters to be eliminated. So I wonder whether “seven lives” is just a metaphor to show the small effort (in comparison) required to achieve the final goal.
Certainly, it might well be one of those random "quite large" (and prime) numbers. There are a lot of "sevens" in the Suttas (e.g. in the Satipatthana suttahttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .soma.html), as I realised when trying to find a sutta specifying seven lives...

site:http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka seven
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Parth

Post by Parth »

Dear Mike,

Lets not doubt things just because they are prime nos. more than this doubt lets put efforts for maintaining that required mindfulness for just 7 days. Mind you what Buddha means is keeping that mindfulness unbroken continuously for 7 days and intervening nights.

Metta

Parth
xtracorrupt

Post by xtracorrupt »

SarathW wrote:I have read very many ocations that the Sotapanna person will be reborne less than seven times. However
a sotapanna does not have to be reborn 7 times in order to attain nirvana, any sentient being can attain nirvana in any life, it all depends on the will
theres is no need for needing
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is this Theravada teaching?
=======
There are three types of sotapannas, depending on the number of
rebirths before they attain Arahantship and enter ibbana namely:
• Ekabiji-sotapanna = enters ibbana after one life.
• Kolamkola-sotapanna = enters ibbana after two to six lives.
• Sattakkhattu-parama-sotapanna = enters ibbana after seven
lives.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/PDF_Budd ... Truths.pdf
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

SarathW wrote:Is this Theravada teaching?
=======
There are three types of sotapannas, depending on the number of
rebirths before they attain Arahantship and enter ibbana namely:
• Ekabiji-sotapanna = enters ibbana after one life.
• Kolamkola-sotapanna = enters ibbana after two to six lives.
• Sattakkhattu-parama-sotapanna = enters ibbana after seven
lives.
AN 3.86: Sikkhā Sutta wrote: Taṃ vā pana anabhi­sam­bha­vaṃ appaṭivijjhaṃ tiṇṇaṃ saṃyojanānaṃ parikkhayā, rāgado­samohā­naṃ tanuttā sakadāgāmī hoti, sakideva imaṃ lokaṃ āgantvā dukkhassantaṃ karoti. Taṃ vā pana anabhi­sam­bha­vaṃ appaṭivijjhaṃ tiṇṇaṃ saṃyojanānaṃ parikkhayā ekabījī hoti, ekaṃyeva mānusakaṃ bhavaṃ nibbattetvā dukkhassantaṃ karoti. Taṃ vā pana anabhi­sam­bha­vaṃ appaṭivijjhaṃ tiṇṇaṃ saṃyojanānaṃ parikkhayā kolaṅkolo hoti, dve vā tīṇi vā kulāni sandhāvitvā saṃsaritvā dukkhassantaṃ karoti. Taṃ vā pana anabhi­sam­bha­vaṃ appaṭivijjhaṃ tiṇṇaṃ saṃyojanānaṃ parikkhayā sattak­khat­tu­paramo hoti, sattak­khat­tu­paramaṃ deve ca manusse ca sandhāvitvā saṃsaritvā dukkhassantaṃ karoti.

"With the wasting away of [the first] three fetters, he is one who has seven more times at most. Having transmigrated and wandered on among devas and human beings, he will put an end to stress.

"[Or] he is one going from good family to good family [i.e., rebirth in the human realm or any of the deva realms]. Having transmigrated and wandered on among two or three good families, he will put an end to stress.

"[Or] he is one with one seed. Having arisen only once more in the human realm, he will put an end to stress.

"[Or], with the wasting away of [the first] three fetters, and with the attenuation of passion, aversion, & delusion, he is a once-returner who — on returning only once more to this world — will put an end to stress.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks C
How do you separate this from once returner (Sakdagami)?
:thinking:
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

SarathW wrote: How do you separate this from once returner (Sakdagami)?
The difference in the text is that a once returner has attenuated passion, aversion, and delusion in addition to the wasting away of the first three fetters, while the one-seeder is not described in this way.
AN 3.86: Sikkhā Sutta wrote: Taṃ vā pana anabhi­sam­bha­vaṃ appaṭivijjhaṃ tiṇṇaṃ saṃyojanānaṃ parikkhayā, rāgado­samohā­naṃ tanuttā sakadāgāmī hoti, sakideva imaṃ lokaṃ āgantvā dukkhassantaṃ karoti.

[Or], with the wasting away of [the first] three fetters, and with the attenuation of passion, aversion, & delusion, he is a once-returner who — on returning only once more to this world — will put an end to stress.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sorry, I don't see the difference.
:juggling: