Who was Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Saengnapha

Re: Who was Phra Acariya Thoon Khippapanno?

Post by Saengnapha »

Anandapanyo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 pm
Paul Davy wrote:Greetings,

Although I've not heard of this bhikkhu before, his writings make for interesting reading.

http://www.knowbuddhism.info/search/lab ... hippapanno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know anything about him?

Metta,
Retro. :)
I know I am late to the party, but my family and I studied Dhamma practice with Acariya Thoon since 1999 and have been faithful followers of him ever since. I attended his cremation ceremony along with 500,000 other people and we all witnessed his remains become relics. It was a miraculous event. I was so affected by his passing that I ordained five months later on his birthday (May 20) and have been a monk ever since. I have since traveled the world teaching Acariya Thoon's wisdom based contemplation style and have learned a lot myself in my journey. My sister and I have also translated many of his books and are working on translating more.

I would be happy to answer any questions about Acariya Thoon Khippapanyo if anyone has any.
Where are you located now?
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm Where are you located now?
http://watsanfran.org/

Here you go.

Ryan
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
binocular

Post by binocular »

ryanM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pmhttp://watsanfran.org/
Can anyone click the "Engage your mind during our daily sermons and weekly dhamma talk discussions. Check out our books and media resources available online." section?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
bodom

Post by bodom »

binocular wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 pm
ryanM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pmhttp://watsanfran.org/
Can anyone click the "Engage your mind during our daily sermons and weekly dhamma talk discussions. Check out our books and media resources available online." section?
It wouldnt open for me either.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,
retrofuturist wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm Greetings,
bodom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm I was wondering where you were able to find this book? I am trying to find a physical copy to buy but can only find one on Amazon for $56 !!
I can't remember now to be honest! I'll try to remember to dig out my archival box of Dhamma books next time I'm at home and see if I can work it out.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Apologies, I forgot to do this last night. My eldest son has a sprained foot, and it threw things slightly out of whack.

Do you have an electronic copy, or no copy at all?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 pm Greetings Bodom,
retrofuturist wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm Greetings,
bodom wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm I was wondering where you were able to find this book? I am trying to find a physical copy to buy but can only find one on Amazon for $56 !!
I can't remember now to be honest! I'll try to remember to dig out my archival box of Dhamma books next time I'm at home and see if I can work it out.

Metta,
Apologies, I forgot to do this last night. My eldest son has a sprained foot, and it threw things slightly out of whack.

Do you have an electronic copy, or no copy at all?

Metta,
Hey Retro

No problem at all, hope hes ok.

Im actually looking to find a paperback copy of the book. Ive read it online through the link you shared but am trying to find a physical copy for my library. I very much prefer reading books to ebooks, plus I am a sucker for trying to track down and obtain hard to find Dhamma books!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,
bodom wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 pm I very much prefer reading books to ebooks, plus I am a sucker for trying to track down and obtain hard to find Dhamma books!
I understand. I was incredibly delighted to source a hardcopy of Nanananda's Nibbana Sermons. Particularly when a book is especially relevant to one's practice it's great to have it electronically for searchability purposes and physically, for general reading purposes. Were that not the case, I doubt I would have read from the Nibbana Sermons on the train this morning.

:reading:

(... and yes, my son will be fine. It's good it wasn't a break or a fracture.)

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

binocular wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am I was curious, so I looked up the books:
http://traderoption.org/book/1227962637 ... apanyo.pdf (requires registration, free)

http://www.dhammatalks.net/ (scroll down)
Thank you. Dhammatalks.net is a treasure trove.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

I understand. I was incredibly delighted to source a hardcopy of Nanananda's Nibbana Sermons. Particularly when a book is especially relevant to one's practice it's great to have it electronically for searchability purposes and physically, for general readin
Exactly.
(... and yes, my son will be fine. It's good it wasn't a break or a fracture.)

Metta,
Glad to here. Sprained ankles are a common thing in my house with my two being as active as they are.

- BB