Generosity

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Caraka

Generosity

Post by Caraka »

A treasurehttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html

"And what is the treasure of generosity? There is the case of a disciple of the noble ones, his awareness cleansed of the stain of stinginess, living at home, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms. This is called the treasure of generosity."

With mind I reconice the importance to train awareness of generosity, when a such situation occur. There is much happiness in such awareness, but is it possible to act like this in this modern world?

E.g with all the demand for attention and requests it is just not possible to help everyone you meet..., or is it?
befriend

Re: Generosity

Post by befriend »

give so you dont regret it either way. dont give so you end up saying oh i wish i didnt give so much, and dont end up thinking oh no i gave to little. you can be generous with your time, like volunteering, your friendliness talking about the dhamma, and abhaya which is the gift of giving beings freedom from fear by being virtuous
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Caraka

Post by Caraka »

This is what I can say about generosity so far:

Past actions can not be changed. Action with good intent for the future should not be tried carelessly. It has not yet happen, so it is not possible to know how other will response. It can lead to ignorance of situation when it actual occur (I think the road to hell is full of bad Khamma made from good intensions for future situations).

The only thing left is the moment.

And when the moment happens we can do merit and be generous, if we are aware.
Last edited by Caraka on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
befriend

Post by befriend »

this is an interesting post. what are others take on this?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.