The Quotable Thanissaro

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
danieLion

The Quotable Thanissaro

Post by danieLion »

Licking Yourself Clean
Ajaan Fuang once said that meditators tend to be like little puppies. They go out and defecate and then come running to their mothers to have their mothers lick them off. They haven't learned how to lick themselves off yet. So as a meditator you need to learn how to lick yourself off. If things don't go well, learn how to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and then figure out what went wrong. Take responsibility for your meditation. Take responsibility for your insights. This is what the Buddha did. This is what every meditator has to do.

If you go to a teacher, saying you've had a certain experience, and the teacher identifies it as a level of jhana or a level of insight, can you be sure? Do you really want to hand those judgments over to somebody else? Or do you want to learn how to judge things on your own, so that you can trust yourself? If you let the other people do the judging, there's always going to be an element of doubt: Do they know what they're saying? At the same time, you're absolving yourself of any responsibility. Discernment becomes their duty and not yours. That's not a good attitude for a meditator to take. You've got to learn to look, to try a few things.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#licking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My idea in starting this topic is for myself and others to not only drop Thanissaro quotes we like, but also the ones we find controversial, provocative, or downright heretical :twisted:/ :stirthepot: . I have no way to enforce this, but I ask that this topic just be for quoting and if discussing is to happen that it be made a new topic of its own (I suppose a few words about if you agree with/like the quote or think the Reverend's full of it's fine if it's brief).

I'll try and drop a new quote every other day or so (we'll see how it goes).

Kind regards,
Daniel
Last edited by danieLion on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cittasanto

Re: The Quotable Thanissaro

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Daniel,
is this only for Thanissaro quotes?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
FatDaddy

Post by FatDaddy »

The following is from the introduction to Thanissaro's Wings to Awakening
Another example of an analogy drawn from modern science is the term "holographic," which I have used to describe some formulations of the Buddhist path. When a hologram is made of an object, an image of the entire object — albeit fairly fuzzy — can be made from even small fragments of the hologram. In the same way, some formulations of the path contain a rough version of the entire path complete in each individual step. In my search for an adjective to describe such formulations, "holographic" seemed the best choice.
This is my favorite description of faith in the Path based on preliminary experience.
Happy, at rest,
may all beings be happy at heart.
Whatever beings there may be,
weak or strong, without exception,
long, large,
middling, short,
subtle, blatant,
seen & unseen,
near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another
or despise anyone anywhere,
or through anger or irritation
wish for another to suffer.
— Sn 1.8
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Cittasanto wrote:Hi Daniel,
is this only for Thanissaro quotes?
That's the idea, but I'm not going to police it as it's ultimately not my call.
Best,
Daniel
PS: My back's in flare up so it might be a while before I can get back to this.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Thanks FatDaddy.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

REFUGE
Buddhism is not a theistic religion — the Buddha is not a god — and so a person taking refuge in the Buddhist sense is not asking for the Buddha personally to intervene to provide protection. Still, one of the Buddha's central teachings is that human life is fraught with dangers — from greed, anger, and delusion — and so the concept of refuge is central to the path of practice, in that the practice is aimed at gaining release from those dangers. Because the mind is the source both of the dangers and of release, there is a need for two levels of refuge: external refuges, which provide models and guidelines so that we can identify which qualities in the mind lead to danger and which to release; and internal refuges, i.e., the qualities leading to release that we develop in our own mind in imitation of our external models. The internal level is where true refuge is found.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... e.html#ch1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drifting cloud

Post by drifting cloud »

danieLion wrote:[Licking Yourself Clean
Ajaan Fuang once said that meditators tend to be like little puppies. They go out and defecate and then come running to their mothers to have their mothers lick them off. They haven't learned how to lick themselves off yet. So as a meditator you need to learn how to lick yourself off. If things don't go well, learn how to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and then figure out what went wrong. Take responsibility for your meditation. Take responsibility for your insights. This is what the Buddha did. This is what every meditator has to do.

If you go to a teacher, saying you've had a certain experience, and the teacher identifies it as a level of jhana or a level of insight, can you be sure? Do you really want to hand those judgments over to somebody else? Or do you want to learn how to judge things on your own, so that you can trust yourself? If you let the other people do the judging, there's always going to be an element of doubt: Do they know what they're saying? At the same time, you're absolving yourself of any responsibility. Discernment becomes their duty and not yours. That's not a good attitude for a meditator to take. You've got to learn to look, to try a few things.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .html#self" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh my. This is priceless. :rofl: And good advice, of course.

I don't really have any favorite quotes, per se, but I am going to start the Wings to Awakening soon and have found TB's commentary to be invaluable when it comes to sorting out the meanings of nibbana and kamma, so if I come up with any I will be sure to post them here.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Thanks drifting cloud.
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Great idea! I listen and re-listen to his talks every day. Its seems most of his talks have not been transcribed, though.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Kamran wrote:Great idea! I listen and re-listen to his talks every day. Its seems most of his talks have not been transcribed, though.
Thanks Kamran.
True, but the ones that have appear in his Meditations series which is up to five volumes and which I intend to draw on heavily. Next time you hear a good one quote, drop it on us.
Best,
Daniel
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

RETREAT?
Many people think that once the mind is in concentration you can't let it rest there; you've got to do vipassana right away. Well, yes, you do need to develop insight, but before you get to the really subtle work of insight, you've got other issues in your life that you have to sort out first. There's a tendency called spiritual bypassing, where people don't want to face the big issues in their lives, so they use the meditation as an escape, an avoidance strategy, claiming that if they can solve the subtle issues of insight, that'll solve their issues when they're off the cushion. But you can't really deal honestly with the subtle issues of inconstancy, stress, and not-self when you haven't sorted through the blatant problems you cause in daily life.

This is one of the reasons why traditionally they didn't have such things as meditation retreats. You went to monasteries. And in monasteries, there was time to meditate, but there were also other duties in the course of the day. There was work to be done. You had to interact with the other people in the monastery to at least some extent. And in the course of that work and those interactions, you learned a lot about the Dhamma: the Dhamma of generosity, the Dhamma of virtue, the Dhamma of patience, equanimity, goodwill — all these other virtues that are an essential part of training the mind.

The idea of creating meditation retreats came basically in the late 19th or early 20th century, the same time when the assembly line was invented, breaking jobs down into little tiny parts that you do repetitively. This approach to physical work was efficient and effective, so it became the model for a lot of meditation retreats and for the methods taught on those retreats. You take one method and you just apply it again and again and again. But a lot gets left out in that approach. It's like exercising only one muscle in your body, so that the muscle gets strengthened all out of proportion to the rest of your body. And that can't be healthy.

It's better to think of meditation as a training for the whole mind, as exercise for the whole mind. You have to train the whole mind in all the virtues of maturity and heedfulness. In other words, you need to develop the ability to anticipate dangers, particularly dangers in your own behavior, and to figure out what you can do to prevent them.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... kingathome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

BE YOUR OWN TEACHER
Sometimes you read about teachers who turn out to be major disappointments. They do really horrible things to their students, and the students complain that they've been victimized. But in nearly every case, when you read the whole story, you realize that the students should have seen this coming. There were blatant warning signals that they chose to ignore. You have to be responsible in choosing your teachers, choosing your path. Once you've chosen the path that looks likely, you have to be responsible in following it, in learning how to develop your own sensitivity in following it. Because after all, what is the path that the Buddha points out? There's virtue, there's concentration, and there's discernment. These are all qualities in your own mind. We all have them to some extent. Learning how to develop what's in your own mind is what's going to make all the difference. The Buddha's discernment isn't going to give you awakening; his virtue and concentration aren't going to give you awakening. You have to develop your own. Nobody else can develop these things for you. Other people can give you hints; they can help point you in the right direction. But the actual work and the actual seeing is something you have to do for yourself.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... dultdhamma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

danieLion wrote:BE YOUR OWN TEACHER
That's basically a more formal version of your first quote.
That's an observation, not a complaint - they are both good, both valid.
:namaste:
Kim
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

danieLion wrote:Learning how to develop what's in your own mind is what's going to make all the difference. The Buddha's discernment isn't going to give you awakening; his virtue and concentration aren't going to give you awakening. You have to develop your own. Nobody else can develop these things for you. Other people can give you hints; they can help point you in the right direction. But the actual work and the actual seeing is something you have to do for yourself.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... dultdhamma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IMHO, this is about learning from own experience, which requires learning how to learn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiential_learning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Gallwey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ven. Thanissaro explains this in detail:
Suppose that anger is interfering with your concentration. Instead of getting involved in the anger, you try simply to be aware of when it's there and when it's not. You look at the anger as an event in and of itself — as it comes, as it goes. But you don't stop there. The next step — as you're still working at focusing on the breath — is recognizing how anger can be made to go away. Sometimes simply watching it is enough to make it go away; sometimes it's not, and you have to deal with it in other ways, such as arguing with the reasoning behind the anger or reminding yourself of the drawbacks of anger. In the course of dealing with it, you have to get your hands dirty. You've got to try and figure out why the anger is coming, why it's going, how you can get it out of there, because you realize that it's an unskillful state. And this requires that you improvise. Experiment. You've got to chase your ego and impatience out of the way so that you can have the space to make mistakes and learn from them, so that you can develop a skill in dealing with the anger. It's not just a question of hating the anger and trying to push it away, or of loving the anger and welcoming it. These approaches may give results in the short run, but in the long run they're not especially skillful. What's called for here is the ability to see what the anger is composed of; how can you take it apart.

One technique I like to use — when anger is present and you're in a situation where you don't immediately have to react to people — is simply to ask yourself in a good-natured way, "Okay, why are you angry?" Listen to what the mind has to say. Then pursue the matter: "But why are you angry at that? " "Of course, I'm angry. After all..." "Well, why are you angry at that?" If you keep this up, the mind will eventually admit to something stupid, like the assumption that people shouldn't be that way — even though they blatantly are that way — or that people should act in line with your standards, or whatever the mind is so embarrassed about that it tries to hide from you. But finally, if you keep probing, it'll fess up. You gain a lot of understanding of the anger that way, and this can really weaken its power over you.

In terms of the positive qualities like mindfulness, serenity, and concentration, it's a similar sort of thing. First, you're aware of when they're there and when they're not, and then you realize that when they're there it's much nicer than when they're not. So you try to figure out how they come, how they go. You do this by consciously trying to maintain that state of mindfulness and concentration. If you're really observant — and this is what it's all about, being observant — you begin to see that there are skillful ways of maintaining the state without getting all tied up in failure or success in doing it, without letting the desire for a settled state of mind actually get in the way of the mind's settling down. You do want to succeed, but you need a balanced attitude toward failure and success so that you can learn from them. Nobody's keeping score or taking grades. You're here to understand for your own sake. So this process of developing your foundation of mindfulness or developing your frame of reference is not "just watching." It's more a participation in the process of arising and passing away — actually playing with the process — so that you can learn from experience how cause and effect work in the mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... cmind.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
danieLion wrote:BE YOUR OWN TEACHER
That's basically a more formal version of your first quote.
That's an observation, not a complaint - they are both good, both valid.
:namaste:
Kim
To be fair, I need to add some quotes of the tremendous faith he had in his own teacher (Rev. Fuang). When he was here in Portland last Autumn (during a talk at Friends of the Dhamma), someone asked him something about his dedication level and he solely attributed to, "faith in my teacher."
Best,
Daniel