Meditation Influence Diagram

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Meditation/Lineage Diagram

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Travis,

No concerns about active discrimination from me, just so long as you're aware that the lineage method may inherently involve passive discrimination if not handled carefully... but you seem to be across it. (I'll have a look at the Gunaratna video when I get a chance - I don't have access just at the moment. UPDATE: I have now seen the video, it would seem that the good monk falls in the same category as the two monks I mentioned in terms of who/what he takes as teacher).

The only extra info on Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero that comes to mind other than Wikipedia, is via this Blog Entry by Theravadin - http://tinyurl.com/mahamevnawa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - which should go some way as to making clear why I think it is very important that the Sutta Pitaka be acknowledged as a direct teacher for those who recognise it and identify with it as such.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Travis
I think it may be worth considering naming your project/diagram something like "connections" rather than lineage. I think the term lineage is rather misleading.
:thumbsup:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:
Or are you confusing Gnanananda with Gunaratna?
Of course I am.
The point still stands that in my view it would be ludicrous to say that some particular person is a "direct disciples of the Buddha/Suttas" and others are not.

:anjali:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,

Isn't it for the individual to define and explain their own influences?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sure. They can say what they like. I'm just expressing my opinion that all the above mentioned practice according to the suttas + various other influences. I know you think there is something useful about searching for dividing lines between the the "various other influences" but, as you know, I don't. Of course, one can discuss how this or that person seems to be more or less influenced by this or that, but in my view the Dhamma has been preserved by 2500 years of live Sangha, and all the above-mentioned are inextricably influenced by that.

It seems to me that the point of this thread was to discuss some of the major ways that this preservation continues.

Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:It seems to me that the point of this thread was to discuss some of the major ways that this preservation continues.
Yes, which is why I mention Vens. Gnanananda, Punnaji etc. who are involved in such preservation even though they don't fit into the original schematic in terms of taking the other monks listed thus far as teachers.

Metta,
tsurezuregusa

Post by tsurezuregusa »

Hello,

I am not able to open the pdf-file. It says, it is broken. Does anyone else encounter the same problem? And has a solution.

Kind regards,
Florian
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

tsurezuregusa wrote:Hello,

I am not able to open the pdf-file. It says, it is broken. Does anyone else encounter the same problem? And has a solution.

Kind regards,
Florian
I have the same problem, but no ideas for a solution.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Travis

Meditation Influence Diagram

Post by Travis »

Buckwheat wrote:
tsurezuregusa wrote:Hello,

Kind regards,
Florian
I have the same problem, but no ideas for a solution.
Not sure what is going on with the broken pdf. Here is a fresh copy with a new name for the sake of clarity of intent. It is only slightly different than v2. I listened to a talk from Analayo where he mentions having used the "Goenka technique" for a number of years. This version reflects that one addition.
Attachments
Meditation Influence Diagram-v3.pdf
Small change between v2>v3 Goenka is included as an influence for Analayo.
(82.03 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
tsurezuregusa

Re: Meditation Influence Diagram

Post by tsurezuregusa »

Hi Travis,

thanks for making the lineage diagram accessible again!

I have a question to all: Under the Mingun Jetavan Sayadaw we both find Mahasi Sayadaw and Soma Thera and Kheminda Thera. Are these two the Venerables that critized Mahasi Sayadaw and his "New Myanmar Satipaṭṭhānā Method"?

Kind regards,
Florian
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tsurezuregusa,
tsurezuregusa wrote: I have a question to all: Under the Mingun Jetavan Sayadaw we both find Mahasi Sayadaw and Soma Thera and Kheminda Thera. Are these two the Venerables that critized Mahasi Sayadaw and his "New Myanmar Satipaṭṭhānā Method"?
The Venerables Kheminda and Soma mentioned here:
Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā: Criticisms and Replies
Do seem to be the same as the Venerable Kheminda and Soma mentioned, for example, here:
http://pathpress.wordpress.com/2010/08/ ... d-nibbana/

Both the criticisms of Mahasi Sayadaw from Ven Kheminda and the book on PathPress involve quite technical discussions of the Commentaries.

Mike
tsurezuregusa

Post by tsurezuregusa »

I enjoyed reading Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā: Criticisms and Replies very much. I am quite fond of technical discussions.

But, did these two, Soma Thera and Kheminda Thera, really study under Mingun Jetavan Sayadaw? Why then would they critize Mahasi Sayadaw? Assuming Mahasi's teaching is in line with the Mingun Sayadaw.

Kind regards,
Florian
tsurezuregusa

Post by tsurezuregusa »

Addionally, does anyone know of a connection between Mahasi Sayadaw and Webu Sayadaw?

Kind regards,
Florian