A place to combine intensive practice with worldly projects?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
spoke

A place to combine intensive practice with worldly projects?

Post by spoke »

Hi all,

For the past several years I've been trying to create an environment at home where I can dedicate the majority of my time to intensive dhamma practice, along with some non-dhamma related writing projects.

My attempts to dedicate my best efforts to these pursuits have unfortunately not really succeeded. I have more than enough free time in which to implement this program, but somehow I keep ending up lost in distractions, and falling into easy, quick temptations instead of doing the things that are really important and beneficial. I think one of the biggest obstacles is the fact that I'm trying to implement this on my own. Another problem is that my work requires an internet connection, which is the ultimate source of easy distractions.

So I was wondering, is there perhaps a place out there (anywhere in the world, although Europe would be extra nice as I'm based in Germany at the moment) that is designed for this purpose? A framework of some kind to provide mutual support and encouragement for intensive Dhamma practice in a Theravada tradition, while also allowing time and opportunity for creative pursuits?

It could be perhaps a monastery where it's OK to plug in and work a few hours a day, or maybe a retreat center or community of some kind, as long as it is really practice-based (as opposed to new-agey/hippie type communes), or maybe something else that I "don't even know that I don't know"...?

I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Many thanks in advance,
Gadi
Goofaholix

Re: A place to combine intensive practice with worldly projects?

Post by Goofaholix »

That's a hard ask, if there is such a place I'm sure there'd be a long waiting list.

I think you'd still have to summon up the self discipline to get the balance right.

I think you are likely to have more success scheduling periods of intensive retreat alternating with periods of hard work, as a writer you are probably luckier than most in not being required in the office 9-5.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Gadi,
spoke wrote:A framework of some kind to provide mutual support and encouragement for intensive Dhamma practice in a Theravada tradition, while also allowing time and opportunity for creative pursuits?
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Gadi,
spoke wrote:A framework of some kind to provide mutual support and encouragement for intensive Dhamma practice in a Theravada tradition, while also allowing time and opportunity for creative pursuits?
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

8-)

Metta,
Retro. :)
Indeed! Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, Gabi.
I hope you develop the adhitthana to maintain your self-discipline to make your ideal a reality in your own home.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

spoke wrote: It could be perhaps a monastery where it's OK to plug in and work a few hours a day, or maybe a retreat center or community of some kind, as long as it is really practice-based (as opposed to new-agey/hippie type communes), or maybe something else that I "don't even know that I don't know"...?
There are some retreat centers that offer work-study programs. You work in the kitchen or grounds or some other work that is needed and then also get to participate in the programs. You don't get any salary or it is very small but you get all room and board / meals paid-for with your service.

I am sure there are several, but one that I know of for sure that has that is Shambhala Mountain in Colorado.
http://www.shambhalamountain.org/jobs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

David N. Snyder wrote:There are some retreat centers that offer work-study programs. You work in the kitchen or grounds or some other work that is needed and then also get to participate in the programs. You don't get any salary or it is very small but you get all room and board / meals paid-for with your service.

I am sure there are several, but one that I know of for sure that has that is Shambhala Mountain in Colorado.
http://www.shambhalamountain.org/jobs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think he wants to be able to do his own work/activities, rather than work to help run a centre.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sign up for mobile broadband service with your cellular provider so you'll get high speed internet anywhere. Make sure all necessary hardwares are working (you'll need a laptop, and broadband card or receiver card). That's pretty much it. You'll be able to do your work and research anywhere. Good luck..
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

The world.
alan

Post by alan »

Several years of trying? You must not want it enough. Quality of intention is more important than location.
spoke

Post by spoke »

Thanks for the responses! I particularly appreciate the tip re: alternating meditation / work days, getting a cellular internet connection (got one - now to find the right community) and the Shambhala Center work/study program (I believe that IMS Forest Refuge has a similar work/study program - something like this may be the way to go).

It seems many responses were suggestions to simply do what I've already been trying, but better, or that this forum itself can serve as such an environment... certainly it's wonderful to have an online resource and community like this, but I really think I would benefit most from being in a physical environment where the people around me are striving for the same goal, and share similar values. Because although the quality of my intention may be very strong at times, it is still subject to wavering, substitution and distraction. I think a physical community would do a great deal towards keeping me heedful (and my practice more continuous) at times when I might otherwise let myself slip.

As the famous Upaddha Sutta goes:
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Sakyans. Now there is a Sakyan town named Sakkara. There Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."

"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.
alan

Post by alan »

You'll never find such a place.
BKh

Post by BKh »

You might want to consider moving very close to a monastery. Walking distance would be ideal. Then you can frequently participate in public events but go home to do the worldly things you need to do. It would also allow you to regularly practice dana in the form of meals and other services. I have seen several people benefit from this sort of a situation. It really is ideal in some ways because you get the benefits of contact with other practitioners without the difficulties of community life.

But you would want to spend time checking out the monastery very carefully.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

I do know of places like that.
meditation ctrs are always in need of volunteers.
you will welcome as long as you contibute sth and
live according to the rules.
spoke

Post by spoke »

BKh wrote:You might want to consider moving very close to a monastery. Walking distance would be ideal. Then you can frequently participate in public events but go home to do the worldly things you need to do. It would also allow you to regularly practice dana in the form of meals and other services. I have seen several people benefit from this sort of a situation. It really is ideal in some ways because you get the benefits of contact with other practitioners without the difficulties of community life.
I've considered this as well - this also may very well be what I end up doing.

Thanks again for the advice,
:anjali:
Gadi