Kill the Buddha- save the world

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Buckwheat

Re: Kill the Buddha- save the world

Post by Buckwheat »

Viscid wrote:The problem is that we've learned the word 'faith' first in the context of Christianity, so we associate it with an irrational belief in God.
My Christian friend is fond of saying, "Belief is built on trust, not blind faith."
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
danieLion

Re: Kill the Buddha- save the world

Post by danieLion »

Ñāṇa wrote:
danieLion wrote:... as a sufficient but not necessary condition to fabricate The Path.
Saddhā is necessary. It is one of the five faculties (indriya) and one of the five strengths (bala) which are requisites of awakening (bodhipakkhiyā dhammā).
Well, that supports my contentions. The indriya/bala are GROUPS, not things in themselves. Because pasada ALONE is an insufficient condition, it cannot be necessary ALONE. Also, the Buddha was very redundant. We tend to draw distinctions between his teachings that aren't there. That's why we have these silly discussions about the "essential" or "core" teachings.
danieLion wrote:The Buddha was clearly aversive to stupidity. I'm merely following his example.
Like I've said, I have faith in the three jewels. Devotion as well. So let me ask you: Do you think that's stupid?
Does my opinion on this really matter that much to you?