Dhammasukha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
steve19800

Dhammasukha

Post by steve19800 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever been to this temple or participate in the retreats?
I'm considering to visit this temple but if the resident monk there also generally accept appointment for interview? If anyone has been there before, mind to share a little bit? Thanks a lot!
Dhammasukha.org.au

nameless

Re: Dhammasukha

Post by nameless » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:21 am

I went to the Manohara centre for a one-day retreat once, it's a nice place, good environment. Sayadaw Pandita teaches what I suppose is commonly called the Vipassana method, with the mental noting of all things that you do. On the website it says that there are interviews and a dhamma talk, but I guess maybe because there were only two of us there that day and the other person seemed to be just borrowing the place for her own practice, they didn't happen as on the schedule, but the teacher gave me a short talk at the end of the day with a chance to ask questions. Overall a good experience for me.

steve19800

Post by steve19800 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 am

nameless wrote:I went to the Manohara centre for a one-day retreat once, it's a nice place, good environment. Sayadaw Pandita teaches what I suppose is commonly called the Vipassana method, with the mental noting of all things that you do. On the website it says that there are interviews and a dhamma talk, but I guess maybe because there were only two of us there that day and the other person seemed to be just borrowing the place for her own practice, they didn't happen as on the schedule, but the teacher gave me a short talk at the end of the day with a chance to ask questions. Overall a good experience for me.
Thanks nameless. Did you just go there recently?
Have you been there on other occassions, I'm wondering if the monk available most of the time or we need to make appointment to talk to them? I rang them but no one answered. Have you participated in Goenka retreat? If yes, what is your overall experience between two of them? Thanks.

nameless

Post by nameless » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 pm

I went there around two years ago, you need to make an appointment for the day retreat so either way you have to call first, you can probably ask any questions you have then. If you have trouble contacting them maybe you can try the email address on the website?

I haven't been to a Goenka retreat, I considered it but found it too intimidating because you have to commit to a 10-day course, whereas for this it's just one day.

Dan74

Post by Dan74 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 pm

I've met the monk U Pandita and been to several of his talks. He is a lovely monk (then again I have a fondness for the Burmese in general), somewhat on the scholarly side, it seemed to me but again I've only been to several talks. Perhaps you can write to him and ask for the best time to come?

They have a regular program there and his English is fine.
_/|\_