A question (Parent permission and ordination)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Justin

A question (Parent permission and ordination)

Post by Justin »

The ordination ceremony for bhikkhus and bhikkunis stipulates that the candidate must have their parents' permission. Is the permission of both parents necessary, or does one suffice? What if one parent gives permission, while the other withholds it? Just seeking some clarification.

With metta,
Justin :namaste:
Last edited by retrofuturist on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic changed for clarity
Cultivate generosity, the life of peace,
and a mind of boundless love.

Itivuttuka 16
appicchato

Re: A question (Parent permission and ordination)

Post by appicchato »

Hi Justin,

Basically it's an issue only if it's made one...by that meaning if one is an adult, not in close contact, nor proximity (physically or mentally), without parental responsibility, than it's not...the opposite is if one's parents are dependent upon them, then it's to be considered one...the important thing is to have a clear conscience going into ordination that one is not going against one's parents wishes...either one...

Be well... :smile:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

how does it work according to the vinaya if one has children? (ie -has parental responsibility) -and also wive's wishes dont come into play?
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

To my knowledge wives and children, Vinaya wise, are not factors...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The suttas record many instances of people leaving wives and children as they go to the homeless life.

That said, I expect that it was socially more acceptable to do this back then than it is now.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

IIRC The Buddha left his wife and child

Anyway, the question on parents permission was one that's been rolling around my mind for a while now, so I'm glad it's been asked and answered well :smile:

With metta
Jack :heart:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks