Help! How to raise a child in an inter-faith marriage?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
puppha

Help! How to raise a child in an inter-faith marriage?

Post by puppha »

Dear all,

My wife turned fundamentalist/born-again Christian about a year ago, and started to (moderately) indoctrinate our 6 years old daughter. My initial reaction was to want to educate our daughter also in the religion of her father, by bringing her to the vihara and Sunday Dhamma school.

But somewhere, I didn't think that's right. I also heard recently Ven. Brahmavamso talking against faith schools, and saying that imposing a religion on a child is akin to child abuse because they don't have the maturity to make their own choices and to make up their minds. I have to admit I think the same, although there is probably a difference between presenting a religion to a child and indoctrinating a child.

At this stage, I think I will bring my daughter to the vihara a couple of times, just so she gets an idea of her father's religion. My main issue really is that in our household, everything is Christian now. The TV is constantly tuned on Christian channels, all the books she gets are Christians books for children, my wife brings her to church every Sunday, etc. There is no "presence" of Buddhism in our household. So my daughter only gets the "Christian" point of view.

On the other hand, I think I should not worry about that, and let things happen... But I am concerned with the well-being and the future of our daughter. Ideally, I would like her to know about all religions, so she can make a choice when she's grown up. But my wife's point of view is very different; she wants our daughter to see and hear only about Christian things so she will not turn away (and go to hell of course!) I also think that subconsciously, my wife is coercing our daughter in believing in the same things she believes in.

Still, I started to talk to my daughter about the importance of being kind, and that all actions have consequences. I try to adapt my speech to her age of course! Sometimes, when she says things I disagree with, I ask her some questions to make her think. For example, she said that only Jesus can heal bad people; then I told her that some bad people became good by themselves, etc.

I would like to know if there is anyone who know about a similar situation? or if someone wants to comment?
:juggling:

Thank you very much!
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Help! How to raise a child in an inter-faith marriage?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Giving my children the tools provided by the Dhamma-vinaya are, in my opinion, the best inheritance and patrimony I can leave them. I think it is irresponsible to assume that raising our children in absence of a faith allows them to choose for themselves when they are more "mature." It seems to me that while we are offering them no alternatives they will pick up what the dominant culture has to offer: oodles of greed, hate and delusion. I speak from experience having been the child of lapsed Catholics and almost killing myself with sex, drugs and rock'n'roll until I found the Dhamma. I understand that you will have the spousal issue to contend with but I would definitely recommend providing as much Buddhadhamma as you can to your kids. I'm in a somewhat similar situation where my kids are being raised as culturally Muslim but spiritually Buddhist. Weird I know but that's my life. If you want links to good children's books for Buddhist kids I can provide them in a PM. Best of luck to you! Mettaya. :heart:

KB
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Zom

Post by Zom »

Can happen to turn into a quite bad situation in a perspective.
I would advise you to make a compromise with your wife - that is - not dragging child into any religion at all. If your wife will resist that idea - explain her that you have the same right as a parent to teach your daughter your own religion too.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Also introduce her to the beautiful world of math and sciences. These disciplines require one to use logic and reasoning to investigate phenomena instead of blind faith. They also help your child to develop an inquisitive and open-minded attitude. Equipped with these postitive attributes, she'll much less likely to fall into the trap of unreasonable beliefs and superstition..
Fede

Post by Fede »

A few points:

In my opinion, you should have followed your gut instinct and done something when you originally thought of it.
This seems (to your wife) to indicate that you do not take your calling as seriously as your she takes hers.
she doesn't take your faith seriously, otherwise she might have consulted you on how best to raise your daughter together.
we have no 'God' in Buddhism, so obviously, our devotion to our practice is not as intense..... is it?

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that her intentions are benign, and she wants nothing but the best for your daughter.
But it's the best according to her, and in her eyes.

You must discuss this sensibly and logically with your wife - out of your daughters' earshot.

On the plus side, raising your daughter from a Buddhist PoV is the easiest thing in the world:
If you study the 4 noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the 5 precepts, there is nothing anywhere that explicitly states "The Buddha spoke thus:"....
What you would be teaching her is how to be an upright, moral, fine citizen.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zom

Post by Zom »

By the way, there is one more option:

you can make an agreement with your wife to teach daughter only those religious things that you both do share. Certain moral principles, for example ,) And dismiss all teachings that you don't share, like "sin, God, kamma, rebirth, ect".

Oh, and, of course, a third option: you can convert her (wife) to Buddhism -) Though this requires some intuition, skill, wisdom.
Fede

Post by Fede »

...whatever you decide to do, you should do it in complete agreement and with the whole-hearted co-operation and consent of your wife.
conflict should not arise.
You must seek compromise and do what you both agree on.
For one of you to have to sacrifice what you believe, and dumb down your principles for the other, is no agreement at all, and shouldn't happen....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I say this with good intention: beware of the born again christians. I have a (not first) cousin who is a born again christian and he turned into a mentaly retarded person (with no offense to those who are mentaly retarded). He is now a fascist, a supporter of absolute monarchy, a supporter of the inquisition, against the right to religious freedom, a believer in Adam and Eve, a believer that the earth is 6000 years old and thus an evolution denier, he doesn't have romantic relationships with women who don't have enough posessions, a supporter of arranged marriages and who knows what else...

In short, beware of the bad influences that your wife recieves. And, of course, don't let her teach any of this crap to your daughter.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

I am in a very similar situation. About a year ago, my wife rediscovered her faith, and it's been a god-fest around here ever since. Of course, my wife and I have a long history of not seeing eye to eye, so this is not much of a departure for us. I make it simple: she may teach them what she wants, but I am going to do the same. My only limit is that they cannot go to church. Binding up their peer group and their religion, it seems to me, would certainly preclude them from having a free thought of their own, for fear of exclusion (I have seen a lot of such fear among my friends while in school).

My wife doesn't always like what I say, since I answer my kids questions without bolstering her beliefs the way she would like me too. When my opinion is in order, I give my opinion. When facts seem to be in order, they get facts. When my wife presses me to believe as she'd like, I tell her what I think about God and god worship.

Will my kids become Christian? Possibly. But there is one thing they will certainly be: well informed on the Buddhadhamma and my relationship to it.

Hmm. Khalil Bodhi, please post a list of child books here. I've been wondering what would be a good. Thanks.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi Everyone,

Please find the list of books here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 59#p167218
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Fede

Post by Fede »

we have to be careful that we don't cling so stringently to what we perceive as fair play, that we simply create antagonism and hostility.

We married tour spouses for better or for worse.... no matter what our opinion of their beliefs and methods, we should not allow our view to be so fractured, prejudiced and judgemental that we forget that (in a different guise) they feel equally as fearful, concerned and righteous as we do.

Remember: a theistic religion is about "putting it all 'out there for God' to do with as he sees fit".

Buddhism is about "owning it all 'in here' and taking full responsibility for thought, word and action".

So - be responsible.

Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Zom wrote:By the way, there is one more option:

you can make an agreement with your wife to teach daughter only those religious things that you both do share. Certain moral principles, for example ,) And dismiss all teachings that you don't share, like "sin, God, kamma, rebirth, ect".
This certainly is an recommendable idea. Emphasising similarities is a good way to go.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

puppha wrote:There is no "presence" of Buddhism in our household. So my daughter only gets the "Christian" point of view.

On the other hand, I think I should not worry about that, and let things happen... But I am concerned with the well-being and the future of our daughter. Ideally, I would like her to know about all religions, so she can make a choice when she's grown up. But my wife's point of view is very different;
Having belonged to one of these groups myself for several years I'd be more worried about your marriage.

Sounds like you are being very reasonable about it and keeping things harmonious but understand this issue won't go away unless you convert or she does.

As for your daughter I wouldn't be worried about exposing her to Buddhism rather show her the difference between an apoproach that tells you what to think and an approach that shows you how to think. If she knows how to think for herself she will be able to see through the religious hype and make her own decisions, if she knows your approach is open rather than narrow minded she'll value your advice.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Fede

Post by Fede »

Didn't want to go down that road, but I'm afraid I agree with Goofaholix....
Having belonged to one of these groups myself for several years I'd be more worried about your marriage.

Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Through my work I have sometimes seen people invest themselves suddenly and deeply in Christian conservative "faith" and practice when there are indications of depression, and sometimes when the person is struggling internally and requires the black and white certainty that those Xtian practices seem to provide. I don't mean to overanalyze this, but I would feel remiss if I simply said nothing at all in response to your thoughtful and caring post.

It may be helpful to assess with your wife whether she is experiencing any emotional turmoil, instability, or depression. I do not mean this in the sense of a deep clinical depression, but I am concerned that she wishes not only to practice this "faith" but demands that your children be immersed in it as well, over your objection and concerns.

If these issues really begin to create some issues for your family, consider finding a good family therapist (secular) who might work with the two of you and the family as a whole to explore healthy ways to deal with this internal concern in your family system.

My personal expereince has been that there are many Xtians who have a balanced view of their faith and do not allow it to become an obsessive aspct of theoir lives. I do see, though, that the obsessive and "black and white thinking that some Xtians present can be indicative of an underlying clinical or emotional concern. All of this is amenable to therapy, but you wife must be willing to meet you in the middle and work with a good independent clinical therapist (LCSW or Ph.D level) and not require that you meet only with her pastor or church family group.

I repeat your concerns are correct and there is a pathway forward for your family to be healthy. I wish you the best in sorting out a problem that here in the US has become a concern for some families.