Sutta about not listening to music

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Fede

Re: Sutta about not listening to music

Post by Fede »

Yes indeed....I, like Khalil Bodhi and Alohba, couldn't think of where the advice of not listening to music, as a sutta, exists....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote:Hi pedro1985,
I used to listen to music a lot. Now, if I'm not careful (practice some restraint) songs get stuck in my head and play like loops, including while I sit.
Sorry it's not a sutta reference.
Daniel :heart:
If a song gets stuck in your head while you are sitting, what do you do? Is it an occasion for negative feelings in response to the this bit of mental music?
I was very tire yesterday. Let's try again.
Not songs I don't like. And songs I do like I start not to like because they loop. But the loops are usually only a small part of the song--like the chorus for example--10-15 secs, then they start over. It's not the music, per se, that I feel negative about--when I feel that way about it--but the repetition and duration. Sometimes I get pro-active and use techniques to prevent or stop the loops, and sometimes I let them arise and pass. I used to always feel negative about them, but now I'd say I experience them more neutrally probably because I've trained myself to see them as conditioned phenomena.
Does that make sense?
D :heart:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

danieLion wrote: I used to always feel negative about them, but now I'd say I experience them more neutrally probably because I've trained myself to see them as conditioned phenomena.
Does that make sense?
Absolutely.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote: I used to always feel negative about them, but now I'd say I experience them more neutrally probably because I've trained myself to see them as conditioned phenomena.
Does that make sense?
Absolutely.
Oh good.
:anjali:
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

In DN 31 (Sigalovada Sutta: Basically the Buddha's advice to the lay practitioner) music is included as a sense desire that arises from habitual partying:
"These are the six dangers inherent in habitual partying: You constantly seek, 'Where's the dancing? Where's the singing? Where's the music? Where are the stories? Where's the applause? Where's the drumming?'
My understanding of music and drumming in this context is that we begin to conflate these sounds with chanting and drumming related to Buddhist practice. It causes conditioning that could arise upon hearing certain sounds that keeps us entertained instead of focusing on meditation.

The way we think about or listen to music has changed a lot since the times of the Buddha. The types of music we can find have a very wide range of subject matter which may or may not be in accordance with the other advice given by the Buddha. I personally listen to and make a lot of music. It has been a form of meditation for me and has set up an antithetical response in the case of my meditation in which the lack of created or chosen sensual experience helps promote the meditative state. Given this, I think it is important to keep in mind how the Buddha's advice intersects with the types of music and media that we intentionally expose ourselves to. If the music causes us to be angry or depressed we can sit with those emotions but its probably not a good idea to fall victim to those emotions. At that point the Buddhas advice seems pretty clear as we enter a state where the music becomes more than just music.
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

From one perspective, music rarely if ever improves upon silence.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

No Sutta reference, I'm afraid, but I do love this account from Ajahn Sucitto about music:
Before I went to Thailand I’d been very fond of music, I
listened to it all the time. For the first year or so when I was
living in the monastery every time I’d sit down I’d hear music
in my head — continually — until I hated it. But I couldn’t make
it go away. Eventually after about a year and a half of non-stop
noise in my head and fi ghting with it, and gradually cooling
down about it all, it began to die away. By the time I came to
England, my mind had cleared out, like a squeezed sponge.
But then one day I was walking down a street and there was
some music playing and my ear picked it up. I could feel the
experience of consciousness dancing around the music, so
much that it was diffi cult not to start physically dancing. The
mind was gyrating, stimulated by this auditory experience
and the consciousness fl uctuating with it. So I explored; I
listened deliberately and tried to go to what the sound really
was — and when I focussed very strongly on the sound, the
music and the listener stopped!
The music was dependent on a particular mode of
attention whereby consciousness wasn’t held clearly, fi rmly
or incisively onto an object, it was allowed to play on it. The
experience of music was this playing: not an external experience
nor an internal experience but the two coming together.
And I really saw that what one could do something about was
the stirring of consciousness, the stirring of the mind and
moods — when that stopped, the music stopped. There was
still the sound but it was empty, it was hollow. That was very
signifi cant for me because then that was it as far as music went.
I could see that the music was just the movement of the mind.
We can allow that movement to happen if we want to, but its
reality, its ability to grip, fades.
From Kalyana
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I suggest giving up music and entertainment for a day or a week, and then watching how your mind reacts when you re-expose yourself to music/ entertainment. I learn a lot about how media affects me when I engage in these experiments.

Remember Buddha's guidance to the "festival actor", whose teacher had told the actor that his actions would result in rebirth in the laughing deva realms. Buddha was not impressed, because the actor was "himself intoxicated & heedless, having made others intoxicated & heedless."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

In that case, Buddha was addressing the actor, but I infer advice to the consumer too. It seems like we are encouraged to take responsibility for how we allow entertainment to interact with our minds, and try not to become "intoxicated & heedless" as a result.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

from sigalovada sutta (lay code of discipline): "There are, young householder, these six evil consequences in frequenting theatrical shows. He is ever thinking:

(i) where is there dancing?
(ii) where is there singing?
(iii) where is there music?
(iv) where is there recitation?
(v) where is there playing with cymbals?
(vi) where is there pot-blowing?

on uposatha it is unacceptable to listen to music; the buddha says the uposatha vows should always be kept, not just here and there.
finally, you run into this more with other traditions, but it's very common, from gītassara sutta:
Pañc·ime, bhikkhave, ādīnavā āyatakena gīta·s·sarena dhammaṃ bhaṇantassa. Katame pañca?

There are, bhikkhus, these five drawbacks of reciting the Dhamma with a sustained melodic intonation. Which five?

Attanā·pi tasmiṃ sare sārajjati, pare·pi tasmiṃ sare sārajjanti, gahapati·kā·pi ujjhāyanti: ‘yath·eva mayaṃ gāyāma, evam·evaṃ kho samaṇā sakyaputtiyā gāyantī’ti, sarakuttim·pi nikāmayamānassa samādhissa bhaṅgo hoti, pacchimā janatā diṭṭhānugatiṃ āpajjati.

Oneself gets attached to that intonation, others get attached to that intonation, householders get angry: 'Those ascetics who are followers of the Sakyans' son sing in the same way that we do!',{1} there is a break in concentration for those striving [to produce] musicality, and the upcoming generations imitate what they see.

Ime kho, bhikkhave, pañca ādīnavā āyatakena gīta·s·sarena dhammaṃ bhaṇantassā·ti.

These, bhikkhus, are the five drawbacks of reciting the Dhamma with a sustained melodic intonation. (great website btw http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/angu ... 5-209.html)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.51.49.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.51.49.png (87.29 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

i'm of the mind there are practices that are for monks but also benefit laypeople; money is going to be likely unavoidable but listening to music is by and large by choice
images are from dn 4

btw, money is not completely unavoidable, and non-returners like citta and ghāṭīkāra refrained from its use
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.53.51.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.53.51.png (73.94 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.53.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 17.53.42.png (129.02 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

The benefits of not listening to music are that they give you a basis to eliminate sense pleasures (such as on the path to once or non-returning).

It isn't practiced by lay people, except for serious meditators on Uposatha days.

A lot of monks in Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions listen to music.

The majority of the suttas are addressed to Bhikkhus, and that is why there is an emphasis on sense-restraint.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

The benefits of not listening to music are that they give you a basis to eliminate sense pleasures (such as on the path to once or non-returning).
I found that over a period of time in the past when I was studying and practising regularly, my interest in listening to music every day just faded away naturally.
How do you know that anicca ?

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Aloka wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am
I found that over a period of time in the past when I was studying and practising regularly, my interest in listening to music every day just faded away naturally.
How do you know that anicca ?

I have found that to be true as well.

For the latter, this is from my communication with a Khenpo who studied in Nepal and India. He said the Dalai Lama, and other monks, had music on their MP3 players.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
jabalí

Post by jabalí »

The ear is burning, sounds are burning...
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.
form

Post by form »

There were two buddhist singers from taiwan. First i was impressed with their attitude cos they sang "buddhist songs". Recent few years, i was very surprised they became the guest singers of big scale sharing session of a fellow buddhist preacher that claim himself to be possessed by Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara.