Sutta about not listening to music

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
_anicca_

Re: Sutta about not listening to music

Post by _anicca_ »

The benefits of not listening to music are that they give you a basis to eliminate sense pleasures (such as on the path to once or non-returning).

It isn't practiced by lay people, except for serious meditators on Uposatha days.

A lot of monks in Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions listen to music.

The majority of the suttas are addressed to Bhikkhus, and that is why there is an emphasis on sense-restraint.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

The benefits of not listening to music are that they give you a basis to eliminate sense pleasures (such as on the path to once or non-returning).
I found that over a period of time in the past when I was studying and practising regularly, my interest in listening to music every day just faded away naturally.
How do you know that anicca ?

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Aloka wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am
I found that over a period of time in the past when I was studying and practising regularly, my interest in listening to music every day just faded away naturally.
How do you know that anicca ?

I have found that to be true as well.

For the latter, this is from my communication with a Khenpo who studied in Nepal and India. He said the Dalai Lama, and other monks, had music on their MP3 players.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
jabalí

Post by jabalí »

The ear is burning, sounds are burning...
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.
form

Post by form »

There were two buddhist singers from taiwan. First i was impressed with their attitude cos they sang "buddhist songs". Recent few years, i was very surprised they became the guest singers of big scale sharing session of a fellow buddhist preacher that claim himself to be possessed by Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara.