aggunna, asteroids, cosmos, intentions, space/time

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
makarasilapin

aggunna, asteroids, cosmos, intentions, space/time

Post by makarasilapin »

this morning i asked my dad, "do you think NASA would ever alert us if we were about to be hit by an asteroid or something?" to which he replied, "probably not; there would be mass hysteria and hey, there wouldn't be rebirth for eons!" i thought for a second and said, "...maybe not on earth."

because hey, i doubt we're the only beings in the cosmos and what would prevent us from being born on a different planet, in a different solar system, on an asteroid, or somewhere else that we haven't discovered yet? also, if an asteroid did hit earth would that be our collective kamma? if it would be our collective kamma, does our kamma extend beyond our atmosphere into space and beyond? if strong moral fibre were to prevail on a planet and an asteroid did hit it would that be due to the collective kamma of that entire solar system or of other solar systems, or of all solar systems? for me, these are excellent questions.

OK so, intention (all action originates in a mind) leads directly to either a linear or non-linear result dependent on its purity, neutrality, or impurity affecting not only oneself but, either directly or indirectly, other beings and non-beings linearly or non-linearly. it is clear that non-beings are not only found on earth but beyond, as it is my belief that beings exist elsewhere in the cosmos. i strongly suggest that our intentions here on earth have cosmological implications, as do the intentions of other beings that exist elsewhere, and therefore an asteroid could hit earth at any time.

i also believe this is what Siddatta was getting at in the Aggunnya Sutta.

thoughts?
Last edited by makarasilapin on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makarasilapin

Re: aggunna, asteroids, cosmos, intentions, space/time

Post by makarasilapin »

this is actually a crazy breakthrough for me as it helps me understand cosmological events and the implications of my actions! also, i think most, if not all, events has a moral underline. another thing to ponder would be whether or not the energy of all action that has ever taken place on earth is able to influence that which exists beyond our solar system (as our influence has gone beyond our atmosphere: satellites, the moon, mars, etc.).
Zom

Post by Zom »

Perhaps yes. Kamma niyama is interconnected with other niyamas (natural laws).
i think most, if not all, events has a moral underline. another thing to ponder would be whether or not the energy of all action that has ever taken place on earth is able to influence that which exists beyond our solar system (as our influence has gone beyond our atmosphere: satellites, the moon, mars, etc.).
But this is a pure speculation. May be yes, but may be no. No one will answer.
makarasilapin

Post by makarasilapin »

Zom wrote:
Speculation is the first step to discovery.
Zom

Post by Zom »

I doubt you will ever discover that .)
chownah

Post by chownah »

makarasilapin wrote:
Zom wrote:
Speculation is the first step to discovery.
Indeed it is especially if one keeps an open mind about what will be discovered. Many times a person may find that the thing they are speculating on has little to do with what is discovered....for instance by speculating on the cosmos you might end up discovering something about yourself.
chownah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
chownah wrote:for instance by speculating on the cosmos you might end up discovering something about yourself.
Like the mind's insatiable capacity for conceptual proliferation, perhaps?
makarasilapin wrote:if an asteroid did hit earth would that be our collective kamma?
No.
makarasilapin wrote:i strongly suggest that our intentions here on earth have cosmological implications, as do the intentions of other beings that exist elsewhere, and therefore an asteroid could hit earth at any time.
And what other than speculation and superstition is this "strong suggest[ion]" based on?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
makarasilapin

Post by makarasilapin »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
chownah wrote:for instance by speculating on the cosmos you might end up discovering something about yourself.
Like the mind's insatiable capacity for conceptual proliferation, perhaps?
makarasilapin wrote:if an asteroid did hit earth would that be our collective kamma?
No.
makarasilapin wrote:i strongly suggest that our intentions here on earth have cosmological implications, as do the intentions of other beings that exist elsewhere, and therefore an asteroid could hit earth at any time.
And what other than speculation and superstition is this "strong suggest[ion]" based on?

Metta,
Retro. :)
a) you guys make it out like speculating about the cosmos is foolish. i strongly suggest that you speculate on that.

b) please explain why your answer is no.

c) it is based on observing that my intentions have results that either happen now or in the future and that they affect myself and/or non-beings and/or other beings now or in the future. if other beings' intentions can also affect me then our intentions can affect each other. if beings' intentions can affect one another and there are 7 billion+ people on earth + an insane amount of other sentient beings with intentions affecting then who's to say that all this created kamma is only affecting us here on earth? why can't it also be affecting that which is beyond, ie. the cosmos?