Teachers Fee

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bhante dhamma

Teachers Fee

Post by bhante dhamma » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am

Im sure Tthere is whole thread on the topic of ‘lay Dharma teachers/Dharma books,’ but what about this, it’s from SN 7.14, it sounds like the brahmin is asking for a fee for someone else but in the end seems to be offering it to the Buddha (after having received a teaching)?!

“…We brahmans, Master Gotama, look for a teacher’s fee for our teacher. May Master Gotama accept this teacher’s portion from me.”

The Blessed One accepted it out of sympathy…"

What do you make of this?

SarathW

Re: Teachers Fee

Post by SarathW » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 am

Greetings bhante,
bhante dhamma wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am
What do you make of this?
It looks like they gave the Buddha a set of robes?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am

It reads to me as if the Buddha helps the brahmin by restoring him to his rightful position. The brahmin explains that in his tradition, such good deeds are paid for by offering the benefactor a gift or fee. He has been given a pair of robes, and offers one to the Blessed One. The Buddha accepts the gift, and the sutta gives the detail that the acceptance was "out of sympathy" (i.e. to avoid offending the Brahmin's tradition or to allow him to express gratitude) rather than expected payment.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

How can we differentiate a fee from the gift?
Generally, the fee is agreed before completing the transaction.
In Sri Lanka, certain Ayurvedic doctors and some teachers do not charge a fee for their service but they accept voluntary gifts.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am
How can we differentiate a fee from the gift?
Generally, the fee is agreed before completing the transaction.
In Sri Lanka, certain Ayurvedic doctors and some teachers do not charge a fee for their service but they accept voluntary gifts.
Good question! A fee is normally a specified amount, and the expectations of the people concerned are important. I would be wary of calling something a gift if the person being given to has an expectation that something will be given, no matter how small.

In a couple of weeks I am going to a retreat centre. They make much of not charging fees, but their literature and standard post-retreat talk mention Dana several times, and how valuable a part of practice it is, and participants are told how much the centre costs per week to run!

Conversely, at the local monastery there is a very discreet box for Dana, and in 20 years I have never heard so much as a hint about giving.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 pm

participants are told how much the center costs per week to run!
I think this is an important statistics to be communicated to the members.
For instance, Wikipedia says that if every member who uses give $2.00 donation they will have enough money to cover their costs.
But the local Buddhist temple needs at least 250 members each contribute $200.00 per annum.