full Buddhavamsa in English

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Will

full Buddhavamsa in English

Post by Will » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm

I think there are 3 or 4 complete translations out there, with or without the Cariyapitaka.

Kindly advise me as to which versions are competent translations, that you have read. Or give a thumbs up or down based on reviews you trust.

I would prefer not to have one that is overloaded with scholarly apparatus & notes (if such exists).
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1

JamesTheGiant

Re: full Buddhavamsa in English

Post by JamesTheGiant » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 pm

I didn't know what the Buddhavamsa is, so I googled it....
The Buddhavamsa (also known as the Chronicle of Buddhas) is a hagiographical Buddhist text which describes the life of Gautama Buddha and of the twenty-four Buddhas who preceded him and prophesied his attainment of Buddhahood. It is the fourteenth book of the Khuddaka Nikāya,

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am

Will wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm
I would prefer not to have one that is overloaded with scholarly apparatus & notes (if such exists).
Of the “translations” listed on the Wikipedia page....

1. Rev. Morris’s isn’t a translation at all but rather the PTS romanised Pali text.

2. U Vicittasārābhivaṃsa’s is the writer’s own narration of the lives of the twenty-four Buddhas. It happens to be an extremely good narration, but it’s not a translation of the Buddhavaṃsa.

3. M.V. Takin’s I’m not familiar with.

4. Those of Law and Horner are earlier and later PTS translations, respectively. As far as scholarly apparatus goes there isn’t much to choose between them; both translators were capable Pali scholars and both were fond of footnotes. Though I haven’t compared the two renderings against the Pali text, I suspect that Horner’s will be the better one, both because it was done later than Law’s and because Horner had also translated the commentary to it: published as Clarifier of the Sweet Meaning. Law’s translation got a slightly unfavourable review from E.J. Thomas in the Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, though this seems to have been prompted more by the reviewer’s aversion to the content of the text than by the quality of the translation.

Will

Post by Will » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Then Horner it will be - prostrations Bhante :bow: :bow: :bow:

Will

Post by Will » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Now have & am reading Horner's translation. The first section about the Jeweled Walkway is amazing, Buddha's iddhis or powers are not written about much.

I have looked online and not found any image of that Jeweled Walkway. Surely there are some, paintings or sculpture or another artistic rendering. If anyone knows of one, please share this buddha path among the aethers.