Supernormal Powers

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Supernormal Powers

Postby Tom » Fri May 19, 2017 10:28 am

Can supernormal powers be used to fulfill worldly desires?
And if so, is it necessarily bad kamma to do so?

SarathW

Re: Supernormal Powers

Postby SarathW » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 am

Sutta discusses only the supernormal powers related to the ending of the mental effluents.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

However, I believe that you can develop these powers through Samatha practice as well.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

form

Postby form » Fri May 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Theravadian will not be able to give a clear answer on this. Those people that play magic will be able to give an answer on the price to pay. Nothing is free in their world.

Masht

Postby Masht » Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Liberated beings likely to have super-normal powers. However, lord Buddha prohibited monks to demonstrate super normal power to general Public. One of the main reasons likely to be general public will be attracted super normal power of a monk rather than the Dhamma.

Senior Vipassana practitioners and teachers do not disclose the level of their practice and attainments. If disclosed it will create jealousy or craving to the listeners.

Jojola

Postby Jojola » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Tom wrote:Can supernormal powers be used to fulfill worldly desires?

Supernormal powers could be used in an attempt to gratify/fulfill worldly desires I suppose; however there aren't any desires (worldly or otherwise) which can be absolutely gratified/fulfilled, which is why The Awoken One taught for the release of them.

As for the kammic results of attempting to satisfy desire via supernatural power I imagine it would be the same as any other action intended for the same purpose- it'll just lead to renewed existence, whether that existence goes up into the heavens, down to the lower realms, or somewhere in the middle would depend on the aspects of the intention behind the action pertaining to greed/lust, hatred/anger, delusion/ignorance.
Regards,

- :heart:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha’s Teaching." - Nanavira Thera (1920-1965) :candle:

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 pm

form wrote:Theravadian will not be able to give a clear answer on this. Those people that play magic will be able to give an answer on the price to pay. Nothing is free in their world.

Where do I look to find such people?

2600htz

Postby 2600htz » Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 am

Hello:

Its all about intention: if u go around reading other peoples minds to find out their secrets, or u fly in the air throwing eggs to your neighbors, no good.
The Buddha taught "mundane" supernormal powers to his disciples because they where helpful, if u lets say make a body double, it shakes your notion of the body, and makes u think "maybe i am not this body".

Regards.

form

Postby form » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:43 am

Tom wrote:
form wrote:Theravadian will not be able to give a clear answer on this. Those people that play magic will be able to give an answer on the price to pay. Nothing is free in their world.

Where do I look to find such people?

Some tibetan or thai monks are better in this area. That is not to say they are more superior. Theravada is more focus on liberation.

Will

Postby Will » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Tom wrote:Can supernormal powers be used to fulfill worldly desires?

Yes and Yes.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.
Only I or someone like me can assess a man. --- Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

ieee23

Postby ieee23 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Having had incidents where hard things happened to me life, causing me to feel overpoweringly unpleasant emotions, then using the dhamma to learn something, then those feelings dissipating I think you are looking for pennies on the floor of an open bank vault.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”