Documentary : Burma, the dictatorship of the absurd

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Adrien

Documentary : Burma, the dictatorship of the absurd

Post by Adrien » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 pm

A short documentary (30 minutes) about all the (unbelievable) absurdities of the burmese military junta :

Teaser : http://vimeo.com/16550602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full documentary : http://www.happy-world.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; At the top of the page, you can choose your langage (french or english), and the subtitles (english or italian).
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to

Adrien

Re: Documentary : Burma, the dictatorship of the absurd

Post by Adrien » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 pm

The making of is also interesting, as it explains some of the fearful situations they had (where they thought they would be caught) :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7CZxi ... mbediframe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to

Bankei

Post by Bankei » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 am

Very interesting documentary about a very interesting country.

Thanks for sharing.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei

householder

Post by householder » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:10 am

In Myanmar at the moment.

Some of the information in this documentary is outdated.

For example, every time I've used an internet cafe, I've not been asked for my passport details. The speed is fairly decent and I've accessed every website without restriction, including Hotmail, Gmail, FB etc.

The general sense here, supported even by Aung San Suu Kyi, is that the new government has already made small but comparatively significant concessions (allowing Aung San Suu Kyi photos to be used on the front pages of publications, allowing GSM to be used in the country - though I still can't get a roaming signal here) and there seem to be promising signs of an inclination towards greater openness and reform. You'll note the caveats in the preceding sentence - it's going to be a very slow, long process, but it will happen. There is a general air of optimism here. People are even more willing to talk about the new government and offer opinion. A degree of tact and caution is still advised, however.

The UN Human Rights envoy recently visited and was more encouraged than he was in his previous visit. However, there are still many human rights issues that need to be resolved, but for an independent observer to also sound a note of optimism is also encouraging.

The black market exchange rate is still a strange one - the Kyat/USD was 680 last week but 6 days later I was offered 750...

bazzaman

Post by bazzaman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 am

householder wrote:In Myanmar at the moment.

The black market exchange rate is still a strange one - the Kyat/USD was 680 last week but 6 days later I was offered 750...
I've always found the rates listed on this website to be current:
http://www.irrawaddy.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One could probably get today's rate of 771/USD for a pristine $100 note.

This website is one of the best windows on Burmese current events. It also features lots of articles on Thailand (where they are based) which give a very different point of view than that taken by the Thai media.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 am

Actually, I found the Irrawaddy as much of a source of misinformation and exageration as I did reliable information.
As for the USD/Kyat exchange rate it fluctuates everyday and there is considerable difference between the rate you get from the black market rate from the money changers at somewhere like the Bogyoke Mkt in Yangon then one's hotel reception. Also, the further north you go, the less kyat you'll get for your dollar. The official exchange rate is so low to be ridiculous.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..