British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Re: British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Talk of whether someone "deserved it", assumes working knowledge of kamma and its vipaka to a level explained by the Buddha as unconjecturable. Such talk is speculative idle chatter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Talk of whether someone "deserved it", assumes working knowledge of kamma and its vipaka to a level explained by the Buddha as unconjecturable. Such talk is speculative idle chatter.
Yes, that was part of my point.

:anjali:
Mike
manas

Post by manas »

Just to clarify (I wish I had not originally gotten caught up in this now, but it's too late...) :|

Neither I, nor (I believe) any of the others here who were concerned about a perceived lack of compassion regarding the death of this pop singer (whose music isn't really to my taste btw), see her death as any more significant than, say, that of a child who has just starved to death in Africa, for example. Just today, it is most likely that somewhere in that Continent, some little boy or girl (or maybe hundreds, or thousands?) will lose their life (lives?) due to starvation - a painful way to die, so I've heard. Every one of those children is another 'universe' in the same way that we all are - all seeing life from their own perspective, wanting life, not wanting death. And I'm sorry if some will be irritated by a perceived sentimentality on my part, but for most parents, their children are like 'the light of their lives', and you have to be a parent to understand this. There are most probably alot of grieving parents all around the world today...so no, neither I nor anyone else would pretend that the death of a pop singer is any more significant than the death of any other human being. Accuse me of being a softie, but I feel for all those parents who have lost children today. Most of them don't have the dhamma for guidance as we do. For them, there is little solace in their pain. Maybe I'm a fool for feeling sadness over them. But so far, it doesn't seem to impede my meditation practice if I occassionally shed a few tears over the numberless grieving parents around the world.

Ok, I got that off my chest...peace for everyone here, truly. There is no conflict here, we all have the dhamma. I do feel for those who don't, however. How much harder it must be for them, when they lose someone!

:namaste:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mike,
mikenz66 wrote:
retrofuturist wrote: Talk of whether someone "deserved it", assumes working knowledge of kamma and its vipaka to a level explained by the Buddha as unconjecturable. Such talk is speculative idle chatter.
Yes, that was part of my point.
Yes, I know (and concur).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."