Happy 4th July

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 6508
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Aloka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:20 am

Ben wrote:If I am not mistaken, that is Princess Eugenie, spawn of Prince Edward and Princess Fergie .....
You are mistaken Ben dear, she's the daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Fergusson (Duke and Duchess of York)


:tongue:

User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18442
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 am

Aloka wrote:
Ben wrote:If I am not mistaken, that is Princess Eugenie, spawn of Prince Edward and Princess Fergie .....
You are mistaken Ben dear, she's the daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Fergusson (Duke and Duchess of York)


:tongue:
Ahh thank you, Aloka.
In my frission-like excitement I lost all inhibition about exposing my ignorance.
In future I'll keep my composure and maintain my moderator-like gravitas.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
Spiny O'Norman
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 am
Location: Suffolk, England

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Spiny O'Norman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 am

tiltbillings wrote: but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite,
At least marmite doesn't make you obese - not like all those fast-food chains and cola that you sent us... :jumping:

Spiny

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23045
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:44 am

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite,
At least marmite doesn't make you obese - not like all those fast-food chains and cola that you sent us... :jumping:

Spiny
And you are dumb enough to eat there? I have never had a McDonald's humburger. (Actually, I like Marmite or do I like Vegemite?)
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Spiny O'Norman
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 am
Location: Suffolk, England

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Spiny O'Norman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Spiny O'Norman wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite,
At least marmite doesn't make you obese - not like all those fast-food chains and cola that you sent us... :jumping:

Spiny
And you are dumb enough to eat there? I have never had a McDonald's humburger. (Actually, I like Marmite or do I like Vegemite?)
I don't eat that stuff but a lot of people here do. Mind you there's nuffink like a good portion of greasy chips from a lovely British chip shop, it always brings out the cockney in me, gawd stone the crows and bless the queen mum... :jumping:

Spiny

chownah
Posts: 8631
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by chownah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite,
At least marmite doesn't make you obese - not like all those fast-food chains and cola that you sent us... :jumping:

Spiny
Not to mention maize, peppers, squash, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, turkeys, and last but not least...TOBACCO!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHACKHACKHACKHACOUGHCOUGH....
chownah

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by manas » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 pm

May Americans take back control of their great Land from corrupt oligarchs, and once again teach the rest of the world about the value of personal liberty.

:namaste:
Seeking your own happiness,
you should pull out your own arrow:
your own lamentation, longing, & sorrow.

With arrow pulled out,
independent,
attaining peace of awareness,
all grief transcended,
griefless you are
unbound.


(excerpt, Sn 3:8)

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 6508
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Aloka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 pm

manasikara wrote:... oligarchs....
Blimey, I had to look that up in the dictionary !

:D

User avatar
Tex
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by Tex » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks for the all the kind words from other countries. It's a refreshing change from the America-bashing we so frequently hear (though some of it is surely valid).

These days, I just hope July 4th comes and goes without a terrorist attack.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

User avatar
octathlon
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:06 am
Location: USA

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by octathlon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 pm

manasikara wrote:May Americans take back control of their great Land from corrupt oligarchs, and once again teach the rest of the world about the value of personal liberty.

:namaste:
Amen!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 107 guests