Happy 4th July

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
plwk

Happy 4th July

Post by plwk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:46 am

To all of the American friends here...

http://www.basicbuddhism.org/index.cfm?GPID=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But what, sire, is the duty of an Ariyan wheel-turning monarch?"
"It is this, my son:
Yourself depending on the Dhamma,
honouring it,
revering it,
cherishing it,
doing homage to it and
venerating it,
having the Dhamma as your badge and banner,
acknowledging the Dhamma as your master,
you should establish guard,
ward and protect according to Dhamma
for your own household, your troops, your nobles and vassals,
for Brahmins and householders, town and country folk,
ascetics and Brahmins, for beasts and birds.

Let no crime prevail in your kingdom,
and those who are in need, give property.
And whatever ascetics and Brahmins in your kingdom
have renounced the life of sensual infatuation and are
devoted to forbearance and gentleness,
each one calming himself and each one striving for the end of craving,
if from time to time they should come to you and consult you as to
what is wholesome and what is unwholesome,
what is blameworthy and what is blameless,
what is to be followed and what is not to be followed,
and what action will in the long-run lead to harm and
what to welfare and happiness,
you should listen, and tell them to avoid evil and do what is good.
That, my son, is the duty of an Ariyan Wheel-Turning Monarch.
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address, Friday, January 20, 1961

cooran

Re: Happy 4th July

Post by cooran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:59 am

Happy Fourth of July! Happy Independence Day!

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:05 am

cooran wrote:Image

Happy Fourth of July! Happy Independence Day!

with metta
Chris
And down with the British. Well, not any more, I guess.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:06 am

Are you sure you don't want to come back ? Its never too late.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 am

Happy America day!
Enjoy a vegie-burger or vegie-hot dog for me!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:11 am

Sanghamitta wrote:Are you sure you don't want to come back ? Its never too late.
No, no, no.Thanks for the offer, but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite, and we certianly do not need this:

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Kenshou

Post by Kenshou » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:14 am

And what the heck IS that?

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 am

If I am not mistaken, that is Princess Eugenie, spawn of Prince Edward and Princess Fergie who gave the Queen an 'orrible anus.
The fascinator that Eugenie wore to William and Kate's wedding is a tribute to the Queen's anus horribulus as it is in the shape of a toilet seat.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:29 am

Kenshou wrote:And what the heck IS that?
It ios a royal silly hat:

plwk

Post by plwk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am

Uh Ben, not sure abt the anus part but it's annus horribilis :tongue:
But I tend to agree that some royalty members is oft associated with that 'a' word... :lol:
Last edited by plwk on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:31 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:Are you sure you don't want to come back ? Its never too late.
No, no, no.Thanks for the offer, but I think we, over here, could do without Marmite, and we certianly do not need this:
No you were doing quite well with Michael Jackson and Liberace and various other forms of pathology getting about as celebrity.
The distaste seems to be mutual. I was reading in today's paper, young Ms Emma Watson's (Hermoine Grainger from Potter movie franchise) complete distate for LA...
"LA scares the crap out of me. I feel if I have to work out four hours a day, and count the calories of everything I put in my mouth, and have Botox at 22, and obsess about how I look the whole time, I will go mad. I will absolutely lose it,"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/peop ... z1TwtDYh00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There you have it!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 am

plwk wrote:Uh Ben, not sure abt the anus part but it's annus horribilis :tongue:
Ah yes, but we know what she really meant, don't we!!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

cooran

Post by cooran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:40 am

anyway .....

Back to Happy 4th July. :group:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48 am

Ben wrote:No you were doing quite well with Michael Jackson and Liberace and various other forms of pathology getting about as celebrity.
Poor Michael Jackson. Started out as a good looking black kid, grew up to be a handsome black man, but his demons drove him to turn himself into a crazy looking white woman. Liberace is something else again. He was a man comfortable with his flamboyant gayness and had a lot of fun with it to the delight of little old ladies.
The distaste seems to be mutual. I was reading in today's paper, young Ms Emma Watson's (Hermoine Grainger from Potter movie franchise) complete distate for LA...
"LA scares the crap out of me. I feel if I have to work out four hours a day, and count the calories of everything I put in my mouth, and have Botox at 22, and obsess about how I look the whole time, I will go mad. I will absolutely lose it,"
Watson and Radcliffe strike me as two well-balanced, remarkably articulate young adults who obviously had parents who did an outstanding job of rearing them. As for LA, it is the good, bad, and ugly of the United States.

An interesting thing I have noticed is the British rock stars tend to be more articulate than American rock stars. What does it all mean? Damdifino other than aspect of British education is far better than American education. Actually, I tend to be an Anglophile, but after reading Irish history (and Scottish history is just as horrifying), it is surprising that anyone would like the English.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 am

cooran wrote:anyway .....

Back to Happy 4th July. :group:
And thanks. As a kid this is what was important to us on the fourth: