Poll: Your sex or gender?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

What is your sex or gender

Man
71%
Woman
28%
Transgendered
2%

Total votes: 65

tiltbillings

Re: Poll: Your sex or gender?

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:Voted. Female.

Though I'm not sure just how the truthfulness of the posters can be verified - without a full medical. :tongue:

with metta
Chris
Some of us have lied through our teeth, or are confused, or do not see the issue as an issue.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

To be honest, I'm surprised Chownah hasn't voted 'transgendered' in an attempt to be funny or noticed.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I wanted to vote 'human' but that option wasn't offered.
Sigh.

Kim
chownah

Post by chownah »

Ben wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised Chownah hasn't voted 'transgendered' in an attempt to be funny or noticed.
I was practicing restraint but since you mention it I was going to say that there should be another category..."Does not apply".

If your post was meant to be 100% humor then stop reading here.....if there was even a small bit of non humor intended then read further.

Why would me voting "transgendered" be funny?...I don't get it. I live in Thailand....transgendered people are very common here...they wait on you in stores both small and large even in some of the most upscale shopping centers...you see high school age boys dressed in skirts being cheerleaders....they prepare your food in many restaurants and......need I elaborate more?

And if I did vote tranny who would know that it is me?...I thought that poll's were anonymous....hardly seems that someone would vote in an anonymous poll in an attempt to get noticed....does it?
chownah
Last edited by chownah on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

No matter how unpalatable or inconvenient, human beings come in a variety of colours, many shapes and sizes, and ( at least ) two genders. We start from what is.
In the sixties a friend of mine would say that she know longer noticed peoples colour. She told me one day in a state of some confusion and hurt that she had said this to an afro american woman, who had told her that she felt that her identity had been negated. That she was black and proud of the fact.
Women want to be seen as women. Not as honorary men or genderless.
There are good reasons why kammic and biological strands have come together to form men and women.
We start from where we are. Transcending that is some way down the way.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Speaking of racial/sexual delineations and identity, I've always thought this was quite thought provoking.

In an episode of South Park, the children did not see the following flag as racist.

It turns out that they did not see the colour of the person being hanged, and saw only that someone was being hanged.

Later, the flag was revised accordingly...

To quote from Wikipedia...
In the end, ethnic diversity is added to the flag: the black man is now being hanged by a group of people of all races, including another black man, hand-in-hand. Chef delivers the moral of this story: his inclination to anti-racism almost made him a racist himself; perceiving things according to race leads only to further racism.
Likewise with gender?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

retrofuturist wrote:
In the end, ethnic diversity is added to the flag: the black man is now being hanged by a group of people of all races, including another black man, hand-in-hand. Chef delivers the moral of this story: his inclination to anti-racism almost made him a racist himself; perceiving things according to race leads only to further racism.
Likewise with gender?
I think so, but it's tricky. Two more thoughts to throw into the pot:
1. Salman Rushdie, who ought to know, has said that only white people can afford the luxury of being blind to skin colour.

2. Neil Gaiman, one of my two or three favourite authors, wrote a novel set in London, the USA and one of the Caribbean islands (Trinidad? can't remember, doesn't matter anyway). He is white - English - which may have influenced what follows.
I loved it. I read it again a couple of years later and, part-way through, realised that every character in it, apart from a couple who are specifically but casually identified, is black. I still love the book and the characters - and I admire the author even more! - but the realisation changed the book for me. That surprised me a bit, since I don't see myself as being racist, but I put it down to racial differences being integral to the culture that those characters live in.

Again, likewise with gender?

:namaste:
Kim
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

If it stays at race or gender then no one is served. But neither are they served by not recognising our unique set of kammic and biological circumstances, including the melanin that shapes our ethnic identity.
It would be wrong to discriminate against anyone in terms or colour or gender...but we start from where we are and that includes a recognition of all that makes us unique and that must ultimately be transcended.
To suggest that we all see ourselves and each other as Ideals in an world that is Ideal is to go faster than is possible.
We start with this breath, in this body, at this moment. And we see no one as inferior or superior to us .
But it is a real man or real woman that we relate to with all their strengths and all their needs.
Not an abstract.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I think Kim, that without pushing it too far, it is not unreasonable to suggest that only men can afford the luxury of being blind to gender.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:I think Kim, that without pushing it too far, it is not unreasonable to suggest that only men can afford the luxury of being blind to gender.
I work in a profession that is still primarily female. I have no idea what being "blind to gender" would mean. It is simply a fact that those who are female are female and those who are male are male. I don't think I want to be blind to that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

tiltbillings wrote:
Sanghamitta wrote:I think Kim, that without pushing it too far, it is not unreasonable to suggest that only men can afford the luxury of being blind to gender.
I work in a profession that is still primarily female. I have no idea what being "blind to gender" would mean. It is simply a fact that those who are female are female and those who are male are male. I don't think I want to be blind to that.
It would mean treating men and women exactly the same. The more I think about that, the less achievable (and less desirable) it seems to be, at least in meatspace ... but I'm too tired to to work through it now. Late evening here/now ... back tomorrow.

:namaste:
Kim
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Ben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:female.
I bet your real name is Britney.

you're so HOT!!
She's a fox, alright.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Chownah,
chownah wrote:
Ben wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised Chownah hasn't voted 'transgendered' in an attempt to be funny or noticed.
I was practicing restraint but since you mention it I was going to say that there should be another category..."Does not apply".

If your post was meant to be 100% humor then stop reading here.....
You can relax! I was half expecting it given the tenor of some of your irreverent posts of late.
And for the record - I am not making any aspersions about you nor do I think there is anything wrong with being transgendered. One of my friends was a transgender male who applied to go on the gender reassignment program to become a woman. Whatever one's gender or sexual orientation is irrelevant to me.
Everyone is beautiful (except the trolls of course!).
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
It would mean treating men and women exactly the same.
Exactly the same. Well, given that one really can not do that with anyone, I am sure that that is a meaningful criteria.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Female.

Tilt - I had no idea about your feminine tendancies - perhaps you'd like to go shopping with me and we can choose some nice dresses for each other to wear.