The Most Amazing Photo Ever Taken (?)

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Laurens

The Most Amazing Photo Ever Taken (?)

Post by Laurens »

The Hubble Ultra-Deep Field (HUDF) is an image of a small region of space in the constellation Fornax, composited from Hubble Space Telescope data accumulated over a period from September 24, 2003, through to January 16, 2004. It is the deepest image of the universe ever taken, looking back approximately 13 billion years (between 400 and 800 million years after the Big Bang), and it will be used to search for galaxies that existed at that time. The HUDF image was taken in a section of the sky with a low density of bright stars in the near-field, allowing much better viewing of dimmer, more distant objects. The image contains an estimated 10,000 galaxies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra-Deep_Field" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So here it is:

Every single point of light in this photo is a galaxy made up of billions of suns.

This is an immensely important photo if you ask me, firstly it puts our tiny little rock into perspective, and makes our incessant fighting over small fractions of it seem incredibly pointless. In a more personal context, for me it makes my personal troubles seem rather insignificant also, and fills me with a deep sense of awe and amazement.

It also raises the question; how many billions of other worlds are there out there? How many planets of beings caught up in suffering just like us?

In my opinion this is the most important and amazing image ever taken by human beings...
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Dhammabodhi

Re: The Most Amazing Photo Ever Taken (?)

Post by Dhammabodhi »

I'll let Monsieur Sagan to continue your stream of thought: :soap:

"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

OK, I like the picture and appreciate the thought, but it seems to beg the question of where does it leave us with our day-to-day responsibilities?
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Dan74 wrote:OK, I like the picture and appreciate the thought, but it seems to beg the question of where does it leave us with our day-to-day responsibilities?
Approximately here...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Laurens wrote: It also raises the question; how many billions of other worlds are there out there? How many planets of beings caught up in suffering just like us?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like to hope we might get fusion power up and running before peak oil destroys us. Then maybe we can venture to the stars. Or, at least start harvesting some of that sweet sweet vespene gas.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
bodom

Post by bodom »

That is stunning Laurens! Thanks for posting.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Dan74 wrote:OK, I like the picture and appreciate the thought, but it seems to beg the question of where does it leave us with our day-to-day responsibilities?
It leaves us feeling like they are slightly less significant than we initially thought :P
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Dhammabodhi wrote:I'll let Monsieur Sagan to continue your stream of thought: :soap:

I think his Pale Blue Dot speech is perhaps one of the most profoundly moving things I have ever heard.

His message to deal more kindly with each other and look after our home, and the absurdity of our conflicts is something we should all take on board, but alas too many of us sadly do not.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Many astronauts and space travelers report of the awe and spiritual inspiration they have felt when seeing the earth from orbit. Many have noted the same type of feelings, how the petty conflicts shouldn't matter and don't matter.

The Iranian businesswoman who recently was a space traveler said she had the same feelings. She paid about $10 million to be a "space tourist".

Some of the reports about some of the formless jhanas are of similar vein. So we can spend $10 million to be a space tourist or we could just sit on the cushion. :tongue:
alan

Post by alan »

Thanks Laurens. Gotta love the Hubble!
I find this kind of thing totally fascinating, and have bookmarked this site:http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110520.html.
Some days have more interesting photos than others but it is a wonderful way to greet the morning. It's the first place I go when I get online. Check it out!
SeekingTruth

Post by SeekingTruth »

alan wrote:Thanks Laurens. Gotta love the Hubble!
I find this kind of thing totally fascinating, and have bookmarked this site:http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110520.html.
Some days have more interesting photos than others but it is a wonderful way to greet the morning. It's the first place I go when I get online. Check it out!
I have loved the site for some time, awesome :)
"Just go into the center of the room, and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come." —AJAHN CHAH
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

alan wrote:Thanks Laurens. Gotta love the Hubble!
Thanks for that Alan. It was the weirdest feeling, but as soon as I saw the picture I felt that same calm feeling that hits me after about five minutes into a sit.
David2

Post by David2 »

In 2014 or 2015 the James Webb Space Telescope is supposed to be launched into space.

Here is a comparance of the primary mirror size with the Hubble Telescope:

So scientists will be able to look even deeper into the universe in the near future. :)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

If you find watching stars and galaxies relaxing then maybe this is something for you: http://www.galaxyzoo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was active there in the past and I find it very relaxing to look at galaxies and classify them. And you help scientists with it too :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

David2 wrote:So scientists will be able to look even deeper into the universe in the near future. :)
So scientists will be able to look further into the past in the near future. :)