Journey Of Self-Discovery: Man Realizes He Doesn't Care

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jhana4

Journey Of Self-Discovery: Man Realizes He Doesn't Care

Post by Jhana4 »

FLAGSTAFF, AZ—Three months after setting off down a long spiritual path to find himself, 38-year-old Corey Larson arrived at the conclusion Tuesday that he does not care. "I spent many long hours meditating, studying the works of great thinkers and spiritual leaders, and delving deep within myself for some kind of answer, and then it hit me: I couldn't care less," Larson said of his soul-searching journey. "f*** it. f*** it all." Larson briefly considered writing a self-help book to make the journey easier for others, but decided that he also didn't give two shits about whether other people arrived at the same conclusion he did.

Journey Of Self-Discovery Leads Man To Realization He Doesn't Care
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
mlswe

Re: Journey Of Self-Discovery: Man Realizes He Doesn't Care

Post by mlswe »

first it was sad, then i saw it was the onion and i laughed
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The key is " three months "........
ground

Post by ground »

He has come to a conclusion that may be valid for himself after 3 months. That's okay. Others come to the same conclusion after years or do never ever harbor the idea of "Self-Discovery" or "spiritual path" or similar.

If he is lucky then he lives happily ever after if not then either his conclusion or his approach has been ill-founded.

Kind regards
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

neither the OP nor me clarified that The Onion is a satire web magazine
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

:jumping: :clap:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
ground

Post by ground »

mlswe wrote:neither the OP nor me clarified that The Onion is a satire web magazine
Well then its actually about human life isn't it?

Kind regards
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

the onion being a satire magazine and the story being about human existance are not mutually exclusive. Just found the clarification compassionate because the uninstructed worldling might unconscsiously increase doubt while reading about other people giving up, laughing about it and believing it to be real.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

This stuck in my mind. I think alot of folks would do well to give up, at least in moderation, if thats possible. There is way to much respect for words and letters and name and form. Internet buddhist boards especially are full of folks that, when you read their posts, seem to be stuck on their own intelligence, and knowledge of buddhism to the exclusion of anything human or practice oriented.

Some i think need to take their religion a little more lightly, with a little more humor and let some air and light into it. The words are not the path, just a conceptual representation of it, from what i have read on internet forums the past few years, i wonder if some know that. If someone is suffeciently stuck on textual buddhism, giving up might actually be the healthiest alternative.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

thank you for the rounding of perspective one might feel when reading such things, there are two sides to be out of balance from so to speak. Doubt and fearlessness of wrongdoing did in my experience increase with real life attitudes of other people expressing cynicism about spiritual endeawors. I agree that humour and joy is a central key to see the dhamma. Humours "surprising because of misdirection" aspect could in a way point to the experience of awakening
Last edited by mlswe on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlswe

Post by mlswe »

and also, there is the sceptical doubt which can energize inquiry, action and experimenting and the doubt that makes you immobile
ground

Post by ground »

mlswe wrote:Doubt and fearlessness of wrongdoing did in my experience increase with real life attitudes of other people expressing cynicism about spiritual endeawors.
Precise observation. That is why the Buddha taught to consider carefully with whom to socialize and whom to avoid.

Kind regards