This election: DON'T VOTE

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Shonin

Re: This election: DON'T VOTE

Post by Shonin »

Democracy is the worst form of government until you consider the alternatives. We are fortunate to live in democracies. We have a responsibility to support democracy.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote: But, all in all, somewhere above 95% of adults do cast valid votes. What's the percentage in the US, I wonder?
The home of the brave, land of the free, bastion of democracy? Low to mid 60's.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Kim O'Hara wrote:What's the percentage in the US, I wonder?
Somewhere (as best as I can recollect) around 50%...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Well, yes, but once they are at the polling booth and have lined up to get their names crossed off, nearly everyone does vote.
They do, indeed.
Kim O'Hara wrote:And once you're in the voting cubicle with your ballot papers, you can leave your papers blank or vote for Mickey Mouse or scribble rude messages to the politicians, but nearly everyone does make a valid vote - even on our ridiculously complicated federal Senate ballots.
Absolutely.
Kim O'Hara wrote:Before even getting to the polling booth there are other non-participating strategies - staying off the electoral roll, which is breaking the law but easy to get away with, or being on the roll and not turning up to vote, risking a (small) fine.
I agree
Kim O'Hara wrote:But, all in all, somewhere above 95% of adults do cast valid votes.
I thought it was a little less than that, but it doesn't matter.
Kim O'Hara wrote:What's the percentage in the US, I wonder?
My understanding is that the voting participation rate is a lot less than in Australia.
Just to be clear, I am not advocating Individual's position of choosing not to vote. I am just pointing out that 'compulsory voting' in Australia is really a misnomer.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote: But, all in all, somewhere above 95% of adults do cast valid votes. What's the percentage in the US, I wonder?
The home of the brave, land of the free, bastion of democracy? Low to mid 60's.
But the quantity of the votes is irrelevant. It's the quality.

Stupid people shouldn't vote.

If they didn't, our economy would be much more efficient because we wouldn't be wasting trillions on political advertising.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Individual wrote:Stupid people shouldn't vote.
So are you suggesting that stupid people shouldn't vote or that the thoughtful, intelligent readers here shouldn't vote?
chownah

Post by chownah »

bodom wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:What election?
Oh you know, the one with those candidates who all promise change, less taxes, better healthcare, and then when elected do nothing as promised and all the problems remain....wait, wasn't that last years electoral candidates, or the ones before those...or....?

:anjali:
There is a candidate you might start supporting but it must be written in as this candidate will never be affiliated with any political party...who is it?......Nobody...
Who keeps their political promises?.....Nobody!
Who actually works for the interests of the common person?....Nobody!
Who runs a totally truthful and ethical campaign?.....Nobody!
Who will run the country with fiscal responsibility?.....Nobody!
Who will work to promote goodwill to all people internationally?....Nobody!

This election and in the future....vote for Nobody!!!! Just write "Nobody" on your ballot in the write in slot.

This is not a paid political advertisement.

chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

If voting could actually change things it would be illegal.
chownah
bodom

Post by bodom »

My vote is for the Wheel Turning Monarch for this is what he brings to his country:
Whosoever there be in the king's realm who devote themselves to keeping cattle and the farm..give food and seed-corn..who devote themselves to trade..give capital.. who devote themselves to government service..give wages and food.. then those men, following each his own business, will no longer harass the realm, the king's revenue will go up; the country will be quiet and at peace; and the populace, pleased one with another and happy, dancing their children in their arms, will dwell with open doors."
http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Kutadanta_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Cakkavattisihanada_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there such a candidate in this years election?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hmmm, in the UK the turnout is pretty bad at 65.1% [http://www.ukpolitical.info/Turnout45.htm]. "Stupid people shouldn't vote"? :( How sad. Half the population has an IQ of 100 or below*, and everybody had the right to have their opinion heard in a democracy.

I didn't even know there was an election due in the USA until 2012, I must be wrong.

*It's amazing how many people are shocked by this, presumably those with a double-figure IQ
Guy

Post by Guy »

Individual wrote:Stupid people shouldn't vote.
:soap:

"Should"s and "shouldn't"s are endless once we get started thinking about the way things "should" or "shouldn't" be. Why not focus instead on the way things are?

We should take the responsibility to educate ourselves about political candidates, their histories, who their friends are, what they stand for, etc.
We should have politicians who engage in intelligent discussion rather than slander campaigns
We should have politicians we can trust to live up to their promises
We shouldn't have biased media
We shouldn't have corruption in politics, business, law and banking
We shouldn't have to worry about our basic rights

But...

These things are not necessarily the way things are. That doesn't mean that this is the way it always will be, but if we are looking to politicians to solve all our problems we are looking in the wrong place, IMO. If you can do something about it, great, good luck to you. But for me, I think my energy is much better spent on changing my mind in a more positive direction than trying to change the world in a positive direction. By working on the mind, we are in fact making the world a better place in the most direct way possible.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

chownah wrote:If voting could actually change things it would be illegal.
In many countries it effectively is. Our ancestors and predecessors fought hard for a democratic system. And even if elections (or even candidates) not turn out to our liking, generally democracies are more stable and have better human rights records.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

chownah wrote:If voting could actually change things it would be illegal.
chownah
In 1984 in New Zealand a government was elected on the promise to ban nuclear powered,nuclear capable or nuclear armed warships from New Zealand waters.This promise was kept and New Zealand today is still nuclear free.
Sometimes we can change things with our vote,although I will admit too often the opposite is true.
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

I disagree Individual, having a decent IQ doesn't guarantee a person is capable of thinking for themselves. Voting should be limited to people who can critically analyse political bs, and thus vote with their minds instead of their hearts.

That's because instead of weighing things up with discernment, most people hear an idea or doctrine that is pleasant to them and then they take it up and hold onto it, and so it becomes an identification, it's like putting on a mental set of clothes that one likes. Everything that politicians say in public is geared towards convincing you to put on their set of clothes and reject the other sets.

Same applies to religion actually it's mostly an emotional attachment that gives a degree of comfort. To return to the clothes analogy, if someone were then to come along and tell this person the flaws of what they're wearing, they'd almost always tell them to bugger off. Because they identify the clothes that they've put on with themselves, more so they identify with their decision, their cetana to put the clothes on - It's upādāna, and you'll find it everywhere.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote: Just to be clear, I am not advocating Individual's position of choosing not to vote. I am just pointing out that 'compulsory voting' in Australia is really a misnomer.
Hi, Ben,
Thanks for all your agreements. To abolish the last shred of apparent difference of opinion between us: 'compulsory' voting was not originally my phrase but Individual's which I just ran with. Voting here is no more - but also not much less - compulsory than abiding by the speed limits on the roads.
:namaste:
Kim