American Politics

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Hanzze

Re: American Politics

Post by Hanzze » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:35 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:30 pm

I had another thought about this, which is that my last post was only what we can see of the unethical side. One-sided! So because I can start to feel despondent about the direction of society at those observations, I remind myself of the seeds of ethical behavior being sown in America by the tree of Buddhism, which as far as I can tell is alive and growing! Still just a sapling, in the west, but with some impressive roots being laid down! So that's encouraging.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:21 am

kirk5a wrote:I had another thought about this, which is that my last post was only what we can see of the unethical side. One-sided! So because I can start to feel despondent about the direction of society at those observations, I remind myself of the seeds of ethical behavior being sown in America by the tree of Buddhism, which as far as I can tell is alive and growing! Still just a sapling, in the west, but with some impressive roots being laid down! So that's encouraging.
You can also remind yourself of all the good compassionate work being done by Christian charities and dedicated health care workers and so on, and the growing 'green' movements, freecycling, etc.
It's easy to get despondent by looking at only the negatives, easy to get too relaxed by looking at only the positives: find a middle way :tongue:
Really.

:namaste:
Kim

alan

Post by alan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 am

Obama caves to the plutocracy and allows tax cuts for the ultra wealthy. This is typical, but depressing nonetheless.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:14 am

alan wrote:Obama caves to the plutocracy and allows tax cuts for the ultra wealthy. This is typical, but depressing nonetheless.
Raise the taxes for the middle class and the rich instead and watch the economy crumble.

Kevin

alan

Post by alan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:26 am

Based on what economic theory?

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:37 am

alan wrote:Based on what economic theory?
The conservative wreck-the-fedearl-government-and-do-not-give-a-damn-about-anyone-else theory.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Hoo

Post by Hoo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 am

I don't often bother with politics and economics arguments, but this one deserves comment...

"When the businesses grow, they create jobs, not send people to the unemployment line for more handouts." That was true until the era when jobs and manufacturing could exported. Now when businesses grow they create jobs overseas as they export manufacturing to lower salary based countries, services to the lower income places, etc.

That old saw about growing local business to create local jobs hasn't worked since the local businesses could no longer compete with the larger global competition.

In case no one has noticed, the money at the top of the pyramid left. They took their gains and went to new pastures - leaving the rest of the pyramid to vote in the next elections :) The rhetoric is still there, but the winners have already left the game and taken the capital with them. The job of those who remain is to keep the wolves from nipping at the heels of those who left.

The next thing to happen will be incessant shrinkage of "higher" incomes as local business can no longer raise enough capital to support the owners and execs. This means less will flow uphill to the big money at the top of the pyramid....which makes the pyramid more expendable. In time, the rhetoric will be the only thing left and former members will begrudge giving - then it really begins to fall apart.

Just my two cents (before inflation),

Hoo

alan

Post by alan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:54 am

Ah Yes...exactly what the oligarchy desires.
It all started with Reagan. Before, we had a country that pretty much worked well for the middle class. The Reagan tax cuts blew a hole in the system, and the subsequent takeover of media has consolidated it. We are on our way to Banana Republic status. The Ultra-Wealthy, who control the Government, don't care. Why should they?
Goodbye, American Century--it was nice while it lasted.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 am

alan wrote:Based on what economic theory?
Based on the fact that people like my folks would have to pay 3k more in taxes every year from now on if the cuts weren't maintained. The middle class is very large and when you have that many people taking a hit like that, they have less money to spend, stimulating the economy less. Not to mention businesses take a bigger hit so they only cut hours (which causes less money to be spent by the populace) or at worse let more people go. In many cases, more small businesses would just shut down. Then we just have more people on unemployment. Take a look at economics please.

Kevin

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 am

Greetings,

The highest tax bracket in the U.S. was taxed at a much higher rate back in the 1960s, and everything was hunky dory for all. As Alan says... it changed with Reaganomics.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:44 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

The highest tax bracket in the U.S. was taxed at a much higher rate back in the 1960s, and everything was hunky dory for all. As Alan says... it changed with Reaganomics.

Metta,
Retro. :)
And if you've seen/read any recent interviews with David Stockman, Reagan's budget director from '81-'85, you can see what he now thinks about the current situation.

"The two parties are in a race to the fiscal bottom to see which one can bury our children and grandchildren deeper in debt."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/david-st ... z17Uos8C4u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

alan

Post by alan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 am

Last edited by alan on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooran

Post by cooran » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 am

Hello all,

As this thread is called ''American Politics'' - could someone please help me to understand Sarah Palin, and any talents and capabilites she may have?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

alan

Post by alan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:10 am

Hi Cooran
I deleted my last post because it was too partisan American.
But, since you asked:
Sarah Palin is one of those people who will pop up now and again in American politics. She is not serious. She is not worthy of attention. She will get a lot of attention from dumb people, and then fade away, perhaps hosting a TV show.
In other words, she is an idiot.