Cut off feeling.

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
theravada_guy

Cut off feeling.

Post by theravada_guy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Greetings all,

I've been looking online at various Thai amulets (pendants, bracelets, yants, etc.) plus I found a video of a Thai temple. I've been reading (inculding the suttas), doing puja, meditating, collecting various Buddhist things. But, the thing is, I don't have a community. I don't know if anyone else ever feels like this, but I feel cut off from the wider Theravadin community. Yes, I am taking formal Refuge this Thursday, and there are plans to get a full scale meditation center going, but I still feel this way. I don't know, maybe it will change once I have had face to face contact with Bhante Rahula and the other meditators.

These things, like yants for example, I at one point was like..."Wait a minute, that's kinda odd" (as can be evidenced from one of my other posts), but honestly, I've taken a liking to such objects. I don't know how to use the one I've got or what it even means, but I like it and I plan on buying some more. These bracelets, which I'll post below, I don't know what they mean either, but I like them. I would like to wear one. If any one could give me more of an idea of these bracelets, yants, Buddha pendant amulet things, I would be much obliged. I do have a Buddha amulet pendant, but I pretty much only bought it as a Buddha to wear. Now I realize it may be more than that. I'll post the one I have below as well. What does it mean to wear the amulet of Monday (I was born on a Monday)?

I apologize, this seems like two posts in one, which, I guess it kinda is. But regarding the second part, please don't tell me anything like "we shouldn't put faith in such things". I want to understand what it all is and the meanings behind it. The first part, of course, anyone can dive in there.

Sai sin (bracelets):

http://www.thai-amulet.com/Buddha-brace ... c69797b8a8

Exact same amulet pendant I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHRA-BUDDHA-SOTHORN ... ltDomain_0
With mettā,

TG

jcsuperstar

Re: Cut off feeling.

Post by jcsuperstar » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 pm

thats not a monday buddha

but anyways, its all just superstition and thai culture. if you like it fine. i do too (i've got lots of amulets, leklai, a sakyant etc). but it's not the dhamma i like this quote here
After 2,600 years, Buddhism has accumulated a whole lot of impediments. Extraneous clutter that never was taught by the Buddha. Rites and rituals, prayer beads, holy threads, mandalas and mantras, holy footprints, and all kinds of superstitious beliefs. If you know them for what they are you can use them in your practice, but if you mistake the inessential for what is essential your practice will lead nowhere." - bhikkhu pesala
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Greetings jc,

I know it's not a Monday Buddha. But, what is the significance of wearing one, because I intend on getting one. I also found a Monday stupa. I like that quote too, actually. I do know it's not the Dhamma. I know the Buddha didn't teach these things. But, it's still interesting. However, I do note that the Vajrayana stuff I tend to totally disregard. I think it's the fact that these items are "Theravadin" is what makes me like them. Thailand is a Theravadin culture, so that's why I say they're Theravadin. That, and I saw it described as such on one of the sites. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I still disregard all the Mahayana Buddhas/Bodhisattvas, but I did some more reading on it, namely a book on Chinese Buddhism, and, I've come to respect the Mahayanists much more than I used too. The core teachings are all the same I realize now. There are obviously differences, but the core is the same. So, that's fine by me. Live and let live.
With mettā,

TG

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 am

my Monday Buddha
(well the main one)
i need to take an updated picture though, my altar has changed. these things, being Thai, probably date back to pre Theravada Thailand, when it was under control of the khmer and practiced that type of Mahayana, there is also a mix of animism in all of this. one of the monks i study with teaches me things from time to time about different amulets of guru monks, different practices (fire kasina, how to chant for lucky stuff etc) and like i said i have a lot of "things" my wife just rolls her eyes sometimes being a modern college educated Thai woman from the city and all :tongue: i'm kinda sorta in the process of translating a text of chants, katha from Thai into English dealing with days of the week. but who knows when that will get done. it was written by a monk (now exmonk) that is a friend was a teacher.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 am

wow. i love that shrine. i love the cat too! how much pain is involved with a sakyant?
With mettā,

TG

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 am

theravada_guy wrote:wow. i love that shrine. i love the cat too! how much pain is involved with a sakyant?
i felt no pain, a little itching though, I'm not being tough or anything either, i thought it would hurt, but a modern tattoo is far far more painful.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 am

Are there any bhikkus in America that do this? I highly doubt I'd get one, but it's still cool to know.
With mettā,

TG

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 am

theravada_guy wrote:Are there any bhikkus in America that do this? I highly doubt I'd get one, but it's still cool to know.
i heard of one once in pennsylvania or something, a Cambodian monk, but no real confirmation.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ