Spelling/translation please?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Spelling/translation please?

Post by Annapurna » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 pm

If you are referring to your Ex, is it capitalized as I did or not?

If you are talking about a person that is dominant, and you talking about him as "the Dominant", does he become capitalized like a name? :thinking:

Ty.
Last edited by Annapurna on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bodom

Re: Spelling please?

Post by bodom » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:33 pm

To my knowledge (28 years speaking, reading and writing english) neither one is capitalized.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

Fede

Post by Fede » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Agreed.
Proper nouns, titles and first letters of a sentence, carry capital letters.

if you wish to give something prominence and emphasis, particularly in on-line communication, capital letters are used to drive the point home...

"Do Not Do This!!"

That indicates that the writer is really emphasising their advice.
But it is not proper grammatical accepted practice.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

octathlon

Post by octathlon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:14 pm

Annapurna wrote:If you are talking about a person that is dominant, and you talking about him as "the Dominant", does he become capitalized like a name? :thinking:
I think in this case we would say "the dominant one", meaning "the one who is dominant".

:smile:

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:12 am

Oh, cool!

Thanks a lot.

I sometimes question my proofreader, but there is a limit to what is wise.... :mrgreen:

Annapurna

Re: Spelling/translation please?

Post by Annapurna » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:46 pm

I need my Native speakers again!!

First:

How do you call a relationship that is only about sex? (sorry, I'm translating a website about relationships :embarassed: )

How do I say it when women are in love, but always end up in affairs, that are only aboUt sex, and end up in a box?

The male equivalent would be the nice guy who always ends up in the "buddy box".

Can I say it like this? :?

We call it : Put somebody in a drawer. You can 't get out of a drawer anymore. .

Thanks! :anjali:

dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Annapurna wrote:I need my Native speakers again!!

First:

How do you call a relationship that is only about sex? (sorry, I'm translating a website about relationships :embarassed: )

... ... Can I say it like this? :?

We call it : Put somebody in a drawer. You can 't get out of a drawer anymore. .

Hi, Anna -

No, I am not a "native speaker". But won't you allow me to give a comment?
[Assuming that you will allow me,] I think a big trouble of sex craving is not to end up in one drawer.
The big trouble is when the man or the woman ends up ceaselessly moving from one drawer to another one, and then another one ...
The biggest problem about sex in people younger than 55 these days (in my well-informed opinion) is to have several sex partners at the same time, while busily jumping from one drawer to another [being unaware of the danger]. :shrug:

Dhamma_spoon.
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:45 pm

:anjali:

Interesting thought. Thank you.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:59 am

First:

Sex affair?

How do I say it when women are in love, but always end up in affairs, that are only aboUt sex, and end up in a box?

The male equivalent would be the nice guy who always ends up in the "buddy box".

Can I say it like this? :?

We call it : Put somebody in a drawer. You can 't get out of a drawer anymore. . But what is the idiom in english?

No suggestions? :(

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:43 am

Not many suggestions, Anna -
I can't think of any common phrase for what you want to call 'Sex affair'. I understand what you want it to mean, but 'Sex affair' is not a term that is ever used in English.
The nearest English phrase to 'put someone in a drawer' is probably 'put someone in a box'. There are some near-equivalents - look up 'stereotyping' or 'type-casting' - but they are more formal.
As for the woman looking for love and only finding sex, it's a familiar scenario but I can't think of any shorter way of saying it.
:shrug:
It's not very useful but my guess is that no-one else answered because they couldn't come up with anything better.
:namaste:
Kim

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Oh....

thnak you . Hm....now I've got a problem... :thinking:

Anicca

Post by Anicca » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Maybe casual relationship is close : wiki-nonsense

Metta

Thales

Post by Thales » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:05 am

First:

Friends with benefits or just f*** buddies
Beats me :shrug:
Nice Guys call it getting put in the "friend zone." Once a girl thinks of you like a brother she will never think of you as a potential romantic partner.
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:28 am

Thank you.

Meanwhile, I came across "coffee date", and thought "sex date" sounds good, at least to me.

It's not vulgar, and so not attracting all the wrong folks to the website of a psychologist.

But I'll see what my American proofreader will say/choose.

We have to keep in mind that it's not what both sides want.

The guy is not in love, and only wants girlfriend for sex dates. She, however, is in love with him and wants to do other as well. But he's not available for cinema, dinner, a walk in the park, etc.

She finds herself in a situaion that she is unhappy about and so seeks the advice if a relationship counselor. She doesn't want to be reduced to an unpaid sexworker, but he put her in that box, and she doesn't know how to get out of it.

I thought there may be an equivalent for the German term, which was also a new word, a word compound.

So a new english word compound is fine too, it should just be something people understand ad hoc.

Fede

Post by Fede » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Annapurna wrote:Thank you.

Meanwhile, I came across "coffee date", and thought "sex date" sounds good, at least to me.

It's not vulgar, and so not attracting all the wrong folks to the website of a psychologist.

But I'll see what my American proofreader will say/choose.

We have to keep in mind that it's not what both sides want.

The guy is not in love, and only wants girlfriend for sex dates. She, however, is in love with him and wants to do other as well. But he's not available for cinema, dinner, a walk in the park, etc.

She finds herself in a situaion that she is unhappy about and so seeks the advice if a relationship counselor. She doesn't want to be reduced to an unpaid sexworker, but he put her in that box, and she doesn't know how to get out of it.

I thought there may be an equivalent for the German term, which was also a new word, a word compound.

So a new english word compound is fine too, it should just be something people understand ad hoc.
Apparently, Annapurna is ignoring me (and that's ok, that's her prerogative), but maybe somebody would like to give her the following information, as it might be useful to her translation:

IF YOU GO onto any relationships forum (and I'm a member of 2, and a Moderator on one of them) the conventional, much-used and very well known term for this:

The guy is not in love, and only wants girlfriend for sex dates.

- is a FWB. Friendship (or Friend) With Benefits.

She, however, seeks commitment. He may therefore be called a "commitment-phobe".

A man (or woman, for that matter) who ends up in the 'buddy-box' has been "Friend-Zoned"

These are all conventional, used, habitual and very common terms on relationship websites and forums.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;