Effect of brutal or sex videos

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

Heard on TV a direct confirmation that kids ...

But let me begin at the start.

Six 13 year old boys got sexually abused and raped in a vacation camp by older boys, around 16.

The authorities said they hadn't heard any screams and had not noticed anything unusual.

Of course a big investigation is going on now as a result.

What sex crime experts already stated as a fact however was:

"We know that youths who watch porns are usually the ones who commit such offences."

I always thought it works this way.

The human monkey imitates everything he's watched and so I always warn of polluting the mind with brutality and porn, it changes our perception of what we think is normal as well as our reaction.

Being calloused is not what a modern man needs today, imo, and certainly doesn't make him more interesting for most women, on the contrary.

Just my 2 cents.

A

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 20161
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 am

Greetings Anna,
Annapurna wrote:What sex crime experts already stated as a fact however was:

"We know that youths who watch porns are usually the ones who commit such offences."

I always thought it works this way.
I'd question the causality at play here.

What started their interest in pornography? It was most likely an existing interest or disposition towards sex. Violence and sexual abuse existed well before the advent of internet and video pornography.

It reminds me of those studies that say that people on anti-depressants are more likely to commit suicide. Of course they are, they're depressed. It's not the pills that cause them to want to kill themselves.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 am

I will have to admit though I really like "Alien"... :lol:

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Anna,
Annapurna wrote:What sex crime experts already stated as a fact however was:

"We know that youths who watch porns are usually the ones who commit such offences."

I always thought it works this way.
I'd question the causality at play here.

What started their interest in pornography? It was most likely an existing interest or disposition towards sex. Violence and sexual abuse existed well before the advent of internet and video pornography.

It reminds me of those studies that say that people on anti-depressants are more likely to commit suicide. Of course they are, they're depressed. It's not the pills that cause them to want to kill themselves.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I'd question the causality at play here.
Well, then you are dismissing the experience of crime specialists who work with such issues a everyday, unlike you.

Who's likely to know more about the matter, you or them?

What started their interest in pornography?
Sexdrive, and that it is available.

We all have an interest in sex, with a very few exceptions. Only, in times i still remember u couldn't watch porn as a kid, porns that gave you ideas. You couldn't watch any.

In general, all you did was date other teens and slowly gain more experience.
That's a totally different start, at least for the majority of male teenagers, who derive their standards from watching porns, and that sure is a pity.
It reminds me of those studies that say that people on anti-depressants are more likely to commit suicide. Of course they are, they're depressed. It's not the pills that cause them to want to kill themselves.
We're not talking about studies here.

We're in talking about firsthand experience.

And about how we can trivialize things...

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by bodom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:11 pm

I have watched my fair share of both. Having said that, I have neither murdered or raped anyone as a result. Could it lead to it? Maybe. I guess it depends on the mental stability of the viewer.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo


With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Bodom,

the question is, have you ever analysed in depth what made you interested in those?

User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Disregard the Faults of Others

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 pm

At one time while the Buddha was receiving alms from a certain lady, an ascetic who regularly received alms from her was being fed by a servant in another room. The ascetic was cursing and scolding the Buddha and was feeling quite miffed.

The woman was embarrassed and could not concentrate on what the Buddha was saying. The Buddha advised her: “Do not regard the faults of others, the things done and not done by others. Regard your own faults, the things done and not done by yourself.”

At the conclusion of the verse, the woman attained to Stream-winning. Dhp v 50

I recall that a certain Rabbi likened having a television set to having an open sewer running through your living room. If you don't know where the off button is, then it is better to get rid of the television. I guess the same goes for a computer too, though at least with a computer we have a bit more control over what we see and hear.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

User avatar
bodom
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by bodom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Annapurna wrote:Bodom,

the question is, have you ever analysed in depth what made you interested in those?
Short and simple, lust, hate and delusion.

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo


With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Yeah, Bodom.

Thank you. A good reply. What can I say...

I sure have my lot of unwholesome stuff too.

Fortunately, "sinning" can be humbling and so propel towards progress.

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Disregard the Faults of Others

Post by Annapurna » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:At one time while the Buddha was receiving alms from a certain lady, an ascetic who regularly received alms from her was being fed by a servant in another room. The ascetic was cursing and scolding the Buddha and was feeling quite miffed.

The woman was embarrassed and could not concentrate on what the Buddha was saying. The Buddha advised her: “Do not regard the faults of others, the things done and not done by others. Regard your own faults, the things done and not done by yourself.”

At the conclusion of the verse, the woman attained to Stream-winning. Dhp v 50

I recall that a certain Rabbi likened having a television set to having an open sewer running through your living room. If you don't know where the off button is, then it is better to get rid of the television. I guess the same goes for a computer too, though at least with a computer we have a bit more control over what we see and hear.
Thank you, great post, good simile.

I love my TV, btw, well love is too strong.

But here I'm able to catch up with all the stuff I hated in school, mostly history.

It's so nice to watch something about history or geography while ironing. I used to hate ironing as well.

Now, I'm simply having a good time.

User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18442
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Disregard the Faults of Others

Post by Ben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:At one time while the Buddha was receiving alms from a certain lady, an ascetic who regularly received alms from her was being fed by a servant in another room. The ascetic was cursing and scolding the Buddha and was feeling quite miffed.

The woman was embarrassed and could not concentrate on what the Buddha was saying. The Buddha advised her: “Do not regard the faults of others, the things done and not done by others. Regard your own faults, the things done and not done by yourself.”

At the conclusion of the verse, the woman attained to Stream-winning. Dhp v 50

I recall that a certain Rabbi likened having a television set to having an open sewer running through your living room. If you don't know where the off button is, then it is better to get rid of the television. I guess the same goes for a computer too, though at least with a computer we have a bit more control over what we see and hear.
Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
Rui Sousa
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Disregard the Faults of Others

Post by Rui Sousa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:At one time while the Buddha was receiving alms from a certain lady, an ascetic who regularly received alms from her was being fed by a servant in another room. The ascetic was cursing and scolding the Buddha and was feeling quite miffed.

The woman was embarrassed and could not concentrate on what the Buddha was saying. The Buddha advised her: “Do not regard the faults of others, the things done and not done by others. Regard your own faults, the things done and not done by yourself.”

At the conclusion of the verse, the woman attained to Stream-winning. Dhp v 50

I recall that a certain Rabbi likened having a television set to having an open sewer running through your living room. If you don't know where the off button is, then it is better to get rid of the television. I guess the same goes for a computer too, though at least with a computer we have a bit more control over what we see and hear.
Wise words Venerable :anjali: .
With Metta

User avatar
OcTavO
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:27 am

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by OcTavO » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Anna, I can't weigh in on the porn aspect but I can weigh in on the "brutal".

I'm a horror writer and a practicing Buddhist. Most people think the two are mutually exclusive but I beg to differ. The genre of horror is a direct conduit to something I believe is hard-wired into every human existence - the need to come to terms with impermanence. I see little difference from the Buddha's many suggestions that we meditate on death in a charnel ground. Horror movies or books are a relatively "safe" way to get close to the suffering that is present and possible in the world and in our own bodies. Of course, some step over the line and glorify or promote violence but for the most part, when carefully considered, it's a quite meaningful art form.

I'm quite active in the horror community and there I have met some of the most caring, pacifist people I have ever encountered. Contrary to popular belief, horror is enjoyed by a large, mentally-stable, compassionate portion of the population and I'm willing to bet that for every horror film fan who commits a crime you'll be able to find a drama genre fan who did the same thing.

:anjali:

sattva
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by sattva » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 am

several good Buddha quotes and stories here. :anjali:

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Effect of brutal or sex videos

Post by Annapurna » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:22 am

OcTavO wrote:Hi Anna, I can't weigh in on the porn aspect but I can weigh in on the "brutal".

I'm a horror writer and a practicing Buddhist. Most people think the two are mutually exclusive but I beg to differ. The genre of horror is a direct conduit to something I believe is hard-wired into every human existence - the need to come to terms with impermanence. I see little difference from the Buddha's many suggestions that we meditate on death in a charnel ground. Horror movies or books are a relatively "safe" way to get close to the suffering that is present and possible in the world and in our own bodies. Of course, some step over the line and glorify or promote violence but for the most part, when carefully considered, it's a quite meaningful art form.

I'm quite active in the horror community and there I have met some of the most caring, pacifist people I have ever encountered. Contrary to popular belief, horror is enjoyed by a large, mentally-stable, compassionate portion of the population and I'm willing to bet that for every horror film fan who commits a crime you'll be able to find a drama genre fan who did the same thing.

:anjali:

Hi, Octavo....

you may not like my reply, but my intention is good.

I think the need to get or produce an external thrill comes from being bored.

It comes from living in safe circumstances in high civilisations, with leisure time on one's hands.

For people, who don't live in safe circumstances, their daily life is all the horror and the thrill they could ever imagine.

A man who works many hours a day to feed his family doesn't need an extra thrill....

Image

The Rikscha man will go through the horror-vision of becoming ill and old, so that he can't pull rich people through the hot stinking town anymore.

If he is healthy, he will think of the horror-vision of not having as many customers as he needs to pay the doctor bills for his ailing wife or children.

"If I don't have enough customers, how do I pay him tomorrow?
Will I have to send my children to this factory to sow cloths?"

Only people who are wealthy or unemplyed or the partner works, have enough time to passively sit in front of a screen and consume the images it produces.

They feel a lack of thrill, because they are not busy enough, or there is no tangible danger in their life.

So they try to get rid of 'boredom', by seeking external, artificial adrenalin kicks, because since our stone age days we are equipped to deal with stressa and danger, and this equipment makes itself felt, if it is underchallenged.

But I also see a waste of precious time in some activities like watching horror.

Why not do some voluntary work in homeless shelters?

I'm sure that is a real thrill too....and it would help people.

Horror is 'passing the time pleasantly' and --from a safe distance. It's fictional, artificial. Your life is not really endangered.

The real horror is on the streets, even in the neighborhood, if we take a close look, and it gives us a real thrill to meet it.

Would it not become a Buddhist to meet this horror ...?

Just some thoughts....

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests