Good Music

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Modus.Ponens

Re: Good Music

Post by Modus.Ponens »

L. Shankar (L. stands for Lakshminarayana) is not related to Ravi Shankar. L. Shankar plays a double violin and also has training in chanting. But I like Ravi Shankar too. I'll check Anoushka. :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
plwk

Post by plwk »

Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

I found this the other day. A couple of Iranian musicians got permission to rework Pink Floyd's Brick in the Wall as a protest song against the Ayatollah. I liked and thought I should share it here.

Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Also thought I would share Outasight, a young Hip-hop guy who does it right. Very enjoyable guy.

Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Oh yes, I wanted to share this song by another Thai band I really love, Bodyslam. This is really just a love song, but they made it an epic love song and connected it to the world, not sure how to explain that, but the video does a good job. I was able to find a version that had english lyrics, please enjoy!

Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Haunting, that's all the needs to be said.

Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

A very talented young man I found on Youtube. He also has written songs on Doctor Who.

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Here's one of fusion between western and indian music. Shakti with John McLaughlin:

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Here's one of fusion between western and indian music. Shakti with John McLaughlin:

Thanks, that was awesome. It reminds me of some of the work George Harrison did with Indian music, only I think this is better.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I don't know George Harrison but I'll check him out. :smile:
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Modus.Ponens wrote:I don't know George Harrison but I'll check him out. :smile:
He was one of The Beatles, but when they all broke up and did solo work he did alot of music that was India fused. I know he worked with Ravi Shankar, a sitar player. Ravi is also the father of Norah Jones.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Speaking of George Harrison, here's two versions of "Tomorrow Never Knows"... first, The Beatles...

Second, Dave Matthews with Herbie Hancock....

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

christopher::: wrote:Speaking of George Harrison, here's two versions of "Tomorrow Never Knows"... first, The Beatles...

Second, Dave Matthews with Herbie Hancock....

:smile:
The Matthews?Hancock version is good, but I like the Beatles better. That might be because I was raised on classic rock.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Fats Navarro...

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

here are some newer bands i'm nto now. take it or leave it.

best coast

wavves
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat