Mass panic at loveparade

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Mass panic at loveparade

Post by Annapurna »

15 young people killed in mass panic at the famous love parade, hundreds injured..

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... 15_Injured" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you ever been in a mass panic?

I have. I was watching, with many others, how in my village, a huge farm burned down, with cattle and pigs trapped inside....some men dared to go in and rescue some, but the poor animals had panicked, cattle was chained by the neck... and it was dangerous to come close to them to save them, horrible,

people wanted to help them but couldn't, so we were just outside, feeling horrible, while the firemen started blowing water in, oh man...

Then, 2 men came out of the flames,with a bull, they had managed to unchain him, and put a rope through his nosering, the bull ran with the men in tow, trying to slow him down, but he was too strong...he came back to where I was standing, watching this :jawdrop: ...with a crowd of others, and he came running at us, lowered his head so he could put something onto his horns, and picked up a heavy metal thing to hold several bikes, and simply threw it several meters into a garden, and then he saw us.

We all screamed at the same time and tried to get into the bakery.

Dozens wanted to get in at the same time....people pushed me so hard, trying to get in with me, that I got badly bruised on my left side, but I made it inside, then the bull jumped into the large window and broke one of
the 2 glasses, which were brandnew, the week before it was just one, and he would have been inside the bakery.

I was already looking where to run now, to the back door, when he stopped and turned around, and ran away...

I've been wary of masses of people since.

I felt so uncomfortable on big rock concerts I only went to a few, and stayed cautious...often close to exits...

Now, so many are dead.

I feel for them... :(

Have you been in a panic?
MJH

Re: Mass panic at loveparade

Post by MJH »

2 times....

The first was a few years back at Octoberfest (the real one in München). We had gotten there early to try and get into one of the halls. For those who have never been to Octoberfest there a number of large beer halls and most of the seating is 1st come 1st serve.
So, when the doors open the crowd that had been waiting rushed forward. And of course you can figure out how a couple hundred people can get trough a standard doorway...they can't. I just remember having no choice but to go where ever the crowd went.... heaving left, right, back and forth. If I would have fallen, that would have been it.... no way I could have gotten up. It was scary! I can kind of laugh about it now but I really do remember panic starting to creep in.

The second was this year... I was in Bhutan and we were lucky to be able to witness a huge tapestry of Guru Rinpoche being unveiled (Paro Tsechu). I think the thangka is 3 or 4 stories tall... really big. Anyway, people from all over Bhutan come to see it. And this year it started to rain... so people began to leave in mass. While at the same time the rumors started that the king had showed up. So others are trying to get back in while others are trying to leave. The main entrence/exit requires everyone to walk over a small (2 1/2 meter wide) covered bridge. It was madness! I tried 2 times to make my way through... no way. Babies were crying, people screaming and yelling. Some were actually wading across the river. I decided to take the long route.... at least 45 minutes out of the way by walking. I didn't care. I ended up hitchhiking and grab a ride with some Germans.

I really feel for everyone involved in the Loveparade tragedy.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

If we calculate human instincts in, how can we decide to attend any mass happening?

I am really unwilling to, as a result.

?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

19 are dead, 342 injured.

Love parade's organisator Schaller declares this is the end of the world's biggest techno party. :(
Potato

Post by Potato »

The closest I ever came to being in a panic was when a riot broke out in my town after one of the university sports teams won a national championship. I was at work in a third-floor office in a building in the center of the area where the riot broke out and I could see it begin from the office window, just an hour or so before I was to go home. Once it became clear that the crowd was out of control, I turned off all the lights in the office to make it look unoccupied from the street. I also locked the office door in case anyone managed to break into the building. After that, I had nothing to do but watch the riot and wait for things to calm down. I stayed in the office until nearly 4:00 AM.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Wow....scary.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwZ36QX9YM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mobile phone footage.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

It appears as if the security regulations were insuffient.

The city allowed the organisation, although the minimum access and escape routes were not fulfilled!

It seems as if the hospitals were excellently prepared.

They had prepared for both intoxicated people, as well as a 'terror attack' or trainaccident with many victims.

They had alos boosted their administration so that victims could be identified as quickly as possible to inform families, had priests already waiting in the hospitals, extra intensive care units, extra trained staff, extra heart lung machines, and so forth, everything for a catastrophe.

Which came to be.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Guys, are you getting any new coverage at all?

TV is of course talking about nothung else anymore here.

The details are too gruesome to imagine.

The panic started at 3 pm and people wwre trapped there at least until 6 pm, struggling to survive.

It was terribly hot in the tunnel, 50 or 60 degrees C, the air was thinning out, and people couldn't help but feel dizzy and pass out. They described how they knew that passing out might cost them their lives, as falling down meant people start to step on you, they almost had no other choice.

One young man told how he was lying on top of one guy, and another on top of him, and how all you could do was bite people in the legs, when they stood on you.

A girl who had fallen showed her bitemarks on the ears, when people beneath her starting biting her in their struggle for air...

During this whole thing, some few people stayed mindful and started to protect those who had fallen, so nobody would step on them, but some were already dead.

I'm sorry if this doesn't interest or impress you, that's ok, but it's in my land, and I feel so sorry.