Dalai Lama criticises anti-whaling protesters

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
cooran

Post by cooran »

AFP, June 19, 2010

TOKYO, Japan -- The Dalai Lama on Saturday criticised wildlife activists for staging what he said were violent protests over Japan's hunting of whales.
The rebuke came as the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader visited Japan for an 11-day lecture tour.
At a news conference, he said he had told the US-based Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to stop its violent harassment of Japan's whaling fleet.
"One time I wrote a letter...(saying) their activities should be stopping," he told reporters.
The Dalai Lama said he supported Sea Shepherd's goal of preventing whalers from harming the giant sea mammals but added that "their (activities) should be non-violent".
Japan's annual whale hunt -- carried out under a loophole to an international moratorium that allows killing for what it calls scientific research -- has long been criticised by conservationists.
Japanese prosecutors have demanded two years in prison for a New Zealand anti-whaling activist on trial for assault and charges relating to his boarding of a harpoon ship in Antarctic waters.
The Dalai Lama, who has no plans to meet government ministers during the visit, will give a public lecture Sunday in Nagano prefecture, hosted by monks of the Zenkoji Buddhist temple.
He will then offer a lecture on Buddhism Tuesday in Ishikawa prefecture, followed by a sermon and a speech on June 26 in Yokohama, south of Tokyo.
The Nobel Peace Prize winner escaped Tibet in 1959 in disguise on horseback to start life in exile in India after a failed uprising against Chinese rule.
He praised his host nation, saying he hoped to promote "harmony" which has been cherished in India for more than 1,000 years.
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 86,0,0,1,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have to say that I disagree for once with His Holiness.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Re: Dalai Lama criticises anti-whaling protesters

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:
I have to say that I disagree for once with His Holiness.
Maybe he needs to watch a few episodes of Whale Wars. What the Sea Shepards are doing is minimally "violent" compared to what it takes to kill a whale. Maybe he needs to see actual film footage of whales being killed by the Japanese. Maybe he needs to speak out far more strongly against totally the unnecessary Japanese killing of whales. He is simply wrong on this.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Agreed.
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

I am in no way in favor of whaling. Nor am I particularly invested in HH Dalai Lama. However, if this man did board a vessel without permission, that is act of unbridled aggression. For those of you who have not had the benefit of a career in the Navy, it is exactly the same as some one invading your home. Getting between the whales and the harpoons, a big thumbs up. :woohoo: Boarding a ship and coming just shy of piracy, go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass "Go", do not collect $200. :broke:
alan

Post by alan »

Are you sure "unbridled'' was the correct word?
alan

Post by alan »

And can it really be defined as "aggression"?
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

alan wrote:And can it really be defined as "aggression"?
What would you call it if I came into YOUR home without permission, because I didn't agree with a LEGAL activity you were conducting?
alan

Post by alan »

I'd be unhappy. But is the comparison accurate?
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

alan wrote:I'd be unhappy. But is the comparison accurate?
It is very accurate, except that if I invade your home on land, you have some where to run to (outside), but on a ship, there's nowhere else to go.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Of course it isn't. He did not board the vessel with a gun or anyother weapon; he did not hit or hurt anyone. It was, if I remember it accurately, to make a statement, a common non-violent protesting activity, used by Gandhi.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

tiltbillings wrote:
Of course it isn't. He did not board the vessel with a gun or anyother weapon; he did not hit or hurt anyone. It was, if I remember it accurately, to make a statement, a common non-violent protesting activity, used by Gandhi.
So provided they don't have a weapon, you're OK with people entering your home without your permission, to peacefully protest a LEGAL activity? They want to charge him with assault, so some one thinks he hit them. It is much easier to demonize the whalers and beatify the protesters, isn't it?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mukunda wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
So provided they don't have a weapon, you're OK with people entering your home without your permission, to peacefully protest a LEGAL activity? They want to charge him with assault, so some one thinks he hit them. It is much easier to demonize the whalers and beatify the protesters, isn't it?
Home? No, but outside the crew quarters, a ship is a place of business. One guy did this. It is not the modus operandi of the Sea Shepherds, and if I recall correctly, he took this action upon himself. He was not directed to do this.

alan

Post by alan »

So you are on the side of those who would kill these magnificent sea creatures? You're allowed to think that way, of course. Just strikes me as odd.
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

alan wrote:So you are on the side of those who would kill these magnificent sea creatures? You're allowed to think that way, of course. Just strikes me as odd.
Did you bother to read my first post? I am in NO way in favor of whaling. But there is right way and a wrong way to do things, and boarding a ship without permission is about as wrong as it gets.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

alan wrote:So you are on the side of those who would kill these magnificent sea creatures? You're allowed to think that way, of course. Just strikes me as odd.
seems a bit off doesn't it? to accuse him of being for the killing of whales simply because he thinks the whalers deserve rights as well... are you for the chinese genocide of the tibetan people because you disagree with the dalai lama?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat