My buddhist hardcore punk band!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
withoutcolour

Re: My buddhist hardcore punk band!

Post by withoutcolour »

bodom wrote:
withoutcolour wrote:Yaaay! I love it!
Not so much into the vegan scene, but it's about time some rockin' Buddhist tunes came along.
Keep it up dude, looking forward to you posting more songs.

oi! oi!
Check out Shadows Fall, Dosa Jhana and The Firstborn.

:anjali:

Bodom,
Thanks for the recommendations. I looked those bands up on myspace and they're all pretty good. :)
It's funny hearing singers scream about the four noble truths, hehehhe. I love it.

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
convivium

Post by convivium »

http://www.thesick.com/mp3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
convivium

Post by convivium »

http://www.thesick.com/mp3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

Admiral, thank you, this is just great.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Anicca wrote:Feel free to email me anytime you have english questions - be glad t'help! (You can use that little envelope icon below the screen names on the left) Does the live band practice together much?
Thanks a lot for the help my friend, I'll keep your advice in mind ;)
The live band does practice like... one or two times a week!
We're about to do our first shows, then maybe a little tour in France :D
Tex wrote:Not quite a synonym, more like one type of shadow. A big shadow that blocks the sunlight is shade, as in the shade of a tree or a building. Sunglasses are also called "shades" here. But I don't think you'll hear someone describe a person's shade, or a cat's shade, instead of their shadow, you see? I guess the size makes the difference -- if the shadow is big enough that you can use it to get out of the heat, then it's shade.
But the lyric still works. I like the way it seems ambiguous, but once figured out it makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation ! Unfortunately I think I'll keep "shade" instead of "shadow" because of the rythm, "shadow" being 2 syllabas and "shade" only 1 ... :/
withoutcolour wrote:Yaaay! I love it!
Not so much into the vegan scene, but it's about time some rockin' Buddhist tunes came along.
Keep it up dude, looking forward to you posting more songs.
oi! oi!
Hey, thank you mate, I'll post on this thread an update when our first E.P will get released ;D
bodom wrote:Check out Shadows Fall, Dosa Jhana and The Firstborn.
I knew about The Firstborn, but... Shadows Fall, they have buddhist songs? :shock:
Awesome, I didn't know anything about them... :D
bodom

Post by bodom »

Admiral

Check out the lyrics to The First Noble Truth by Shadows Fall.
http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/S/shadow ... lyrics.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Here's my question:

(I'm sort of thinking aloud here)
At a Buddhist hardcore concert, do you thrash and mosh? Moshing can be so violent (especially if people are punching in the pit), so it would seem to contradict the message in the music.
HOWEVER, I've written about this before, how in the pit there is a sense of togetherness, oneness, and loss of a separate "self". Also, even though there's a lot of shoving and punching, if someone falls, people always make an effort to pick them back up.

So, not to get offtopic, but what do you guys think?

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Thanks a lot for these lyrics, bodom ;)
withoutcolour wrote:At a Buddhist hardcore concert, do you thrash and mosh? Moshing can be so violent (especially if people are punching in the pit), so it would seem to contradict the message in the music.
HOWEVER, I've written about this before, how in the pit there is a sense of togetherness, oneness, and loss of a separate "self". Also, even though there's a lot of shoving and punching, if someone falls, people always make an effort to pick them back up.
Moshin is definitly part of hardcore music to us, so when people start moshing at concert, the best to do is to take the mic and tell to everyone to mosh with RESPECT towards everybody. Not voluntary injuries... And as you said it, togethernes, oneness (:
But we're definitly against the "Better than you" system (as often seen in the straight edge community) and "hate" moshing.
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Admiral wrote:Thanks a lot for these lyrics, bodom ;)
withoutcolour wrote:At a Buddhist hardcore concert, do you thrash and mosh? Moshing can be so violent (especially if people are punching in the pit), so it would seem to contradict the message in the music.
Moshin is definitly part of hardcore music to us, so when people start moshing at concert, the best to do is to take the mic and tell to everyone to mosh with RESPECT towards everybody. Not voluntary injuries... And as you said it, togethernes, oneness (:
But we're definitly against the "Better than you" system (as often seen in the straight edge community) and "hate" moshing.
I'm glad you brought up the "better than you" attitude in the straight edge community. I am often hesitant to describe myself as "straight edge" and will say "drug free" instead because of the negative stigmas that come with being straight edge. There are so many obnoxious holier-than-thou straight edge kids out there.
I think straight edge needs to come back with a more positive attitude. I'm glad that you're a part of that scene, hopefully you'll bring some compassion to the scene.

Best of luck, Anko. I'm telling my buds about your band. Great stuff.

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

yeah to comment on the pit/moshing thing hardcore pits were always far more violent in my opinion, i liked punk shows better, people were just silly running around in circles bumping into each other, like a bunch of happy drunks, maybe you'd do some jumping jacks or run in place to make fun of the whole idea too or skank or do the twist. it was about camaraderie and good times.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

withoutcolour wrote:I'm glad you brought up the "better than you" attitude in the straight edge community. I am often hesitant to describe myself as "straight edge" and will say "drug free" instead because of the negative stigmas that come with being straight edge. There are so many obnoxious holier-than-thou straight edge kids out there.
I think straight edge needs to come back with a more positive attitude. I'm glad that you're a part of that scene, hopefully you'll bring some compassion to the scene.
Best of luck, Anko. I'm telling my buds about your band. Great stuff.
I must agree with you about the positive thinking in straight edge. But it seems that negative thinking starts to be no longer "trendy" in the hardcore scene nowadays... "wait & see" :D
And thanks again wc ! :namaste:
jcsuperstar wrote:yeah to comment on the pit/moshing thing hardcore pits were always far more violent in my opinion, i liked punk shows better, people were just silly running around in circles bumping into each other, like a bunch of happy drunks, maybe you'd do some jumping jacks or run in place to make fun of the whole idea too or skank or do the twist. it was about camaraderie and good times.
I see what you're talking about. I like "hardcore dancing" but only in moderate doses... When it's respectful and when the goal is not to hit the others.
I kinda looks like "katas" haha :shrug:
But there's nothing like punk shows, for sure. :|