An open letter.

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sanghamitta

An open letter.

Post by Sanghamitta »

I address this to all..members.. moderators..casual droppers in..everyone.

Why are we here on this forum ?
I will start by saying that I am here to glean what is necessary to deepen my practice..which is Vipassana and the Brahma Viharas.
I am not at all interested beyond what is pragmatic, in Buddhist philosophy personally.
Although I know that for some that is a way of approaching Dhamma .
So philosophical debates are not likely to involve me..which is ok.
I can understand that some people might find it interesting to approach the Theravada through their exsisting philosophical view, and to then see how that fits the Theravada or not.
I do get the feeling, perhaps wrongly, that some are exploring the Theravada as a way of testing or exploring their own tradition.
Which is fine if it is useful. Certainly having dropped in to some other Buddhist forums there is a depth and breadth on Dhamma Wheel that I have not found elsewhere, and I value that.
What I find slightly troubling , and I am searching for the most diplomatic turns of phrase here..is that occasionally..and in terms of the total of posts to the forum it is a small proportion I get the impression that I as a Theravadin as been identified as a possible convert to another view.
Is that just me ? I am not proud of the fact that if I do detect that I am being preached at I can become defensive.
I think that Dahamma Wheel is a tremendous resource. I truly think that the moderators do a marvelous job. It cant be easy sometimes..
What do others think..why are we here ?
:anjali:
Valerie.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Re: An open letter.

Post by cooran »

Hello Sanghamitta,

I'm here for companionship in the Dhamma journey.

I remember that the Buddha told Ananda that Kalyanamitta (good friends in the Dhamma) are the Whole of the Holy Life.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Valerie,

Like Cooran, I'm here for the spiritual friendship, and also to investigate the Dhamma in the presence of other dedicated practitioners who can share their insights. I have learned a lot from Dhamma Wheel members, both here, and back in the day at E-Sangha. The Buddha is cool. 8-)

As for feeling like your being preached at, proselytization is against the Terms Of Service, so if you think someone is guilty of that, please report the post and we'll investigate. Do bear in mind though, that input from other traditions and religions is more acceptable in certain sub-fora than others... so they, and you, should try to be mindful of the forum in which discussion takes place, and participate (and allow others to participate) accordingly.

Thank you also for the kind words regarding the forum - it is appreciated.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

I can't say that I have a clear agenda for being here other than great interest in Buddhism, particularly as a philosophy and way of life.

As some probably already noticed, I am not opposed to philosophical debate. On the contrary, I think it is an excellent practice as it sharpens the mind. Dhamma Wheel tends to attract people with a highly homogenous world view. The resulting group consensus facilitates communication, but it also leads to blind spots, especially when it comes to mutually agreed views, opinions about controversial issues, and less than sound reasoning to support such items. Debate has the potential to uncover and break through such weaknesses if it is followed through with discipline and mutual respect. It has the potential for advancing one's understanding of an issue, not to mention one's ability to use sound reasoning.

Unfortunately, this potential is not always realised. There is a tendency to stick to pre-established opinions, even if these opinions happen to be indefensible. At such a point, various defense mechanisms kick it and the debate is best abandoned. This behaviour pattern is quite universal and by no means a characteristic for this particular discussion board.

Perhaps one of the more undisputed advantages of Dhamma Wheel is that it is a great source of information about Theravada Buddhism and that there are many helpful and knowledgeable individuals who make it that. Thank you for that.

Cheers, Thomas
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

cooran wrote: I'm here for companionship in the Dhamma journey.

Personally, in terms of improving my understanding the Dhamma, I'm more interested in discussions that seek to clarify the meaning of a Sutta, a Commentary, or something from a modern teacher, than arguments that one or other should be rejected.

I tend to find posts that argue that the poster's particular interpretation is the only possible one, and all others are mistaken, not particularly helpful.

I picked up a lot from Ben's example when I first joined E-Sangha (several years back...).:anjali:
I think that is always useful to think about how to phrase statements in non-confrontational way, if possible, for example: "The classical position appears to be..." or "This statement seems to contradict ...".

Mike
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Thank you Cooran, Mike, And Retrofuturist.

I wouldnt want to overdo the negative. Most of the time ..the vast majority of the time when I drop into D.W. I leave feeling inspired..thats a fact.
I do occasionally feel like a black person must have felt in the sixties.. :smile:
During that time people of a different colour started to become more prevelant on the streets of the UK.
They were teated with open prejudice by some, but among the more thoughtful and liberal elememnt in society there emerged a tendency to make statements like " I am colour blind in matters of race..I dont notice people's colour. "
This of course was said with the best of intentions and certainly marked an improvement on open prejudice..so imagine the confusion felt by some liberal white people when black people said " hang on I am not without colour..I am black, your colour blindness has the effect of making me an honorary white person "...

Like many people of my generation I explored a lot of religious paths before realising that my empathy was most with Buddhism, and that my empathy within Buddhism was most with the Theravada. I am a Theravadin by choice, not by not knowing the alternatives.
I dont need lectures intended to broaden my horizons. I need depth not breadth. I need to practice what I have learned not to partake in a comparative religion class. But if others have different needs then fine.
As for me I send metta to all, but i will say it loud, I am orange and proud.
Just wanted to get that of my chest..
Valerie.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

I'm glad you spoke up, Sanghamitta.

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Well, I will be honest. The internet came late to my life. I guess I was in my thirties when it hit the scene, and I was very slow getting involved in the forum thing. So I could never take it seriously. I still can't. For me the internet is entertainment. Sometimes information, but I take anything I find on the internet with a grain of salt. I remember when my son and I heard about the internet and we thought "Wow! All the world's information will be made available to everyone? Now nobody will have to be stupid anymore!" Well, chalk that up as Life Disillusionment # 1,205,605. :tongue:

I guess my point is what goes on online seldom affects me either emotionally or intellectually. For that to happen I must have face-to-face connection.

So its impact on my practice is minimal. I enjoy watching the interplay and tossing my ball in the court now and then but can't understand why anyone gets emotional over pixel-dots on a screen.

But I do think it's very cool that Venerable bhikkhus are online. This is a very nice thing. Hope all this is useful.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Bubbabuddhist wrote:... I could never take it seriously. I still can't. For me the internet is entertainment. Sometimes information, but I take anything I find on the internet with a grain of salt ...
:toast:
Learn a little - laugh a lot! When possible help a little - to be helped when possible. It is all dhamma.
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Hi,

for me, Dhammawheel is a good ressource for clarification on dhamma questions that might arise as well as an interesting platform for getting additional pointers for my practice.

Other than for specific questions I am not overly interested in a philosophical debate or a comparison of concepts. On the contrary, I am actually trying to move beyond concepts ;)

That's why I read more than I comment myself.
I haven't felt "preached at", though, but that might be because perhaps my English is insufficient to pick up too many subtleties ;)

I have received many valuable pointers here already, but I will keep out of "scholastic" arguments (as I would be out of my depth and inclination). I like the overall supportive feel to the forum, though, and would like to take this opportunity to thank the admin, mods and user for their wonderful contributions :)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Pannapetar wrote: Dhamma Wheel tends to attract people with a highly homogenous world view.
Hi Thomas,

I haven't noticed that one. I see quite a bit of differing opinions, even within Theravada, for example, in regard to the Commentaries, Abhidhamma, etc.

In the thread that was closed you asked for a citation from my post where I mentioned that samma-sam-buddhas and paccekabuddhas are rare beings who only come once every 10,000 years or more. It is in every chapter of the Buddhavamsa of the Khuddaka Nikaya. Paccekabuddhas come when there is no dispensation, so there cannot be any during this time period. Samma-sam-buddhas rediscover the Dhamma after it has been lost, so there will not be another for a very long time because we are still in [Gotama] Buddha's dispensation.

In regard to the OP,

I am here for the spiritual friendship, to learn, and to help provide information when possible. Kalyana-mitta is an important and useful practice. I think the internet, the online forums and the information age we live in is at least a net gain, with more benefits than negatives. It connects people separated by large oceans who previously had to wait about a week for 'snail mail' and now can interact (literally) at the speed of light. The internet is like anything and can be used in a wholesome or unwholesome way. I think we are on to something wholesome here. :soap: :smile:
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

David N. Snyder wrote:It is in every chapter of the Buddhavamsa of the Khuddaka Nikaya.
Thanks for the reference, David, I appreciate it. That was the bit about past Buddhas, wasn't it? I shall look it up.

Cheers, Thomas
plwk

Post by plwk »

What I try to do when here on Dhamma Wheel:

One:
My purpose: to unlearn, learn and re-learn from Dhamma Wheel's contributors

Two:
I was once told by a Moderator of a now defunct Buddhist Forum site...
'Believe it or not, one is not punished for not reading what one does not want to...'

Three:
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta
"What do you think of this, O monks? Is feeling...perception permanent or impermanent?"
"Impermanent, O Lord."
"Now, that which is impermanent, is it unsatisfactory or satisfactory?"
"Unsatisfactory, O Lord."
"Now, that which is impermanent, unsatisfactory, subject to change, is it proper to regard that as: 'This is mine, this I am, this is my self'?"
"Indeed, not that, O Lord."
dennis60

Post by dennis60 »

Sanghamitta wrote:I address this to all..members.. moderators..casual droppers in..everyone.

Why are we here on this forum ?
I will start by saying that I am here to glean what is necessary to deepen my practice..which is Vipassana and the Brahma Viharas.
I am not at all interested beyond what is pragmatic, in Buddhist philosophy personally.
Although I know that for some that is a way of approaching Dhamma .
So philosophical debates are not likely to involve me..which is ok.
I can understand that some people might find it interesting to approach the Theravada through their exsisting philosophical view, and to then see how that fits the Theravada or not.
I do get the feeling, perhaps wrongly, that some are exploring the Theravada as a way of testing or exploring their own tradition.
Which is fine if it is useful. Certainly having dropped in to some other Buddhist forums there is a depth and breadth on Dhamma Wheel that I have not found elsewhere, and I value that.
What I find slightly troubling , and I am searching for the most diplomatic turns of phrase here..is that occasionally..and in terms of the total of posts to the forum it is a small proportion I get the impression that I as a Theravadin as been identified as a possible convert to another view.
Is that just me ? I am not proud of the fact that if I do detect that I am being preached at I can become defensive.
I think that Dahamma Wheel is a tremendous resource. I truly think that the moderators do a marvelous job. It cant be easy sometimes..
What do others think..why are we here ?
Valerie.
Aren't we all here to learn about how to improve our Buddhist practice, and share our experiences relating to that practice?
There are many subjects to pick and choose from, which gives us all a lot of freedom to read and post if we wish to. This reminds me of the an answer on how one practices...."It is like tuning a guitar. If the strings are too loose then the sound of the guitar is useless, and if the strings of the guitar are to tight, one is likely to break one of the strings, again the the guitar becomes useless to play. So learn to tune your guitar so that you can use it to make music." :)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,
dennis60 said: This reminds me of the an answer on how one practices...."It is like tuning a guitar. If the strings are too loose then the sound of the guitar is useless, and if the strings of the guitar are to tight, one is likely to break one of the strings, again the the guitar becomes useless to play. So learn to tune your guitar so that you can use it to make music."
AN 6.55 Sona Sutta: About Sona
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rajagaha, on Vulture Peak Mountain. And on that occasion Ven. Sona was staying near Rajagaha in the Cool Wood. Then, as Ven. Sona was meditating in seclusion [after doing walking meditation until the skin of his soles was split & bleeding], this train of thought arose in his awareness: "Of the Blessed One's disciples who have aroused their persistence, I am one, but my mind is not released from the fermentations through lack of clinging/sustenance. Now, my family has enough wealth that it would be possible to enjoy wealth & make merit. What if I were to disavow the training, return to the lower life, enjoy wealth, & make merit?"
Then the Blessed One, as soon as he perceived with his awareness the train of thought in Ven. Sona's awareness — as a strong man might stretch out his bent arm or bend his outstretched arm — disappeared from Vulture Peak Mountain, appeared in the Cool Wood right in front of Ven. Sona, and sat down on a prepared seat. Ven. Sona, after bowing down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him, "Just now, as you were meditating in seclusion, didn't this train of thought appear to your awareness: 'Of the Blessed One's disciples who have aroused their persistence, I am one, but my mind is not released from the fermentations... What if I were to disavow the training, return to the lower life, enjoy wealth, & make merit?'"
"Yes, lord."
"Now what do you think, Sona. Before, when you were a house-dweller, were you skilled at playing the vina?"
"Yes, lord."
"And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were too taut, was your vina in tune & playable?"
"No, lord."
"And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were too loose, was your vina in tune & playable?"
"No, lord."
"And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned [1] to be right on pitch, was your vina in tune & playable?"
"Yes, lord."
"In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune [2]the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there pick up your theme."
"Yes, lord," Ven. Sona answered the Blessed One. Then, having given this exhortation to Ven. Sona, the Blessed One — as a strong man might stretch out his bent arm or bend his outstretched arm — disappeared from the Cool Wood and appeared on Vulture Peak Mountain.
So after that, Ven. Sona determined the right pitch for his persistence, attuned the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there picked up his theme. Dwelling alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute, he in no long time reached & remained in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now. He knew: "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world." And thus Ven. Sona became another one of the arahants.
MORE at:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---