Contrarian Thought As Compulsion

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
PeterB

Contrarian Thought As Compulsion

Post by PeterB »

A Compulsive Contrarian is one who is compelled to offer a contrary arguement to that of the majority in a given setting.
This becomes a knee jerk response apparently not fully in the control of those who exhibit contrarian behaviour.
The symptoms of Compulsive Contrarianism in a cyber world context include;
An inability to agree with or even see any merit in, the views of others .
An apparent need to disagree with all and any any view, except with those views which support the Contrarian agenda.
An apparent holding of opposite views in different in different thread discussions, not due to a honing or refinement of those views, but due to its better serving the Contrarian agenda.
A sense that a resolution or consensus is not the aim, rather debate is about debate for its own sake..and that this aim is best served by the Contrarian agenda..agreement and commonality is anathema to that agenda..

Its a difficult condition ..not least because of the inability of most Contrarians to become aware of their own Contrarian behaviour.
Lazy_eye

Re: Contrarian Thought As Compulsion

Post by Lazy_eye »

Sorry, I must disagree.

;)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I wondered who would be first Lazyeye.. :smile:
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Lazy_eye wrote:Sorry, I must disagree.
Ditto...one more compulsive contrarian here...another perfect example (prevalent exclusively in the West) to cook up a condition (way, way, waaaay too many to even start a list here) of what's wrong with us...pitiful (amongst other apt adjectives)...
nathan

Post by nathan »

PeterB wrote:Its a difficult condition ..not least because of the inability of most Contrarians to become aware of their own Contrarian behaviour.
Is that from the DSMV or is it something people can catch from wikipedia if they don't use a condom? Just wondering. I always thought this was just because people are silly. Silliness explains a lot of things. Its produced by the whole silly arrangement. There is no core, no self, no soul, just thoughts and feelings and sensations and they just keep changing all the time. These things refuse to agree about anything. It makes some people really irritable. It helps to take a deep breath, let it out slowly and calmly say 'people are silly.'
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Another of the Buddha's teachings that is worth a regular visit...

The Eight Worldly Conditions
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Its actually a joke Nathan. There is no such condition. At least not one officially recognised. I made it up.
Interesting Rorchasch Test though...... :tongue:

And what IS a fact is that there really is a need for some to debate rather than look for resolution.
nathan

Post by nathan »

PeterB wrote:Its actually a joke Nathan. There is no such condition. At least not one officially recognised. I made it up.
Interesting Rorchasch Test though...... :tongue:

And what IS a fact is that there really is a need for some to debate rather than look for resolution.
I took it to be an attempt at humor and tried to post something in the same vein. I'm even trying to think of something right now that disagrees with my last post. Give me a little while, I should be able to get into a pretty good argument with myself.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Oh no you wont.
nathan

Post by nathan »

After a brief perusal of the ridiculously long thread I had the random thought that maybe not everyone is naturally silly, maybe some have to work extra hard at it. Then again, maybe not.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Is this the full hour or just the half hour arguement ?
nathan

Post by nathan »

PeterB wrote:Oh no you wont.
Your reverse psychology won't work on me. I have studied reverse reverse psychology, specializing in the white elephant style.
nathan

Post by nathan »

PeterB wrote:Is this the full hour or just the half hour arguement ?
We have no cheddar.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

nathan wrote:
PeterB wrote:Oh no you wont.
Your reverse psychology won't work on me. I have studied reverse reverse psychology, specializing in the white elephant style.
:D
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

This is the dawning of the age of Contrarius.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah