either/or

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
genkaku

either/or

Post by genkaku »

Sometimes I think we all have an either/or gremlin in our minds: Either you read scripture or you do a meditation practice; either samsara or nirvana; either you keep the rules or you break them; either a layman or a monk; either mindful or confused; either compassionate or angry; either this or that .... It goes on and on whether talking out loud or keeping it secret. Either/or.

But I always liked the story about the Korean Zen teacher Soen Sa Nimh, who was once asked, so to speak, at a public meeting, "Sometimes when I meditate, I feel like such a schmuck." And Soen Sa Nimh replied, "You're either a Buddha or a schmuck -- there is no in-between."

And that's the way it seems to be -- you either see through the "in-between" or you end up as some silly Buddha or schmuck. Either/or strikes me as a good, tentative route. But the emphasis needs to be on the word "tentative." Hammers are tentatively useful when you want to pound a nail, but you wouldn't lug a hammer around all day long, right?

Just some noodling. :)
bodom

Re: either/or

Post by bodom »

What happened to the Middle Way?

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:What happened to the Middle Way?

It's right where it always was. :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

genkaku wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:What happened to the Middle Way?

It's right where it always was. :)
Of course it is. I forgot where i left it. :smile:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB