Musings on Race (Any other Black people on Dhammawheel?)

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
SarathW

Musings on Race (Any other Black people on Dhammawheel?)

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 am

It is great to see another Dhamma discussion group started.
By the way I do not like the title of the group.
It sounds very un-Buddhist.
This sound like an exclusive club.
The ultimate aim of Buddhist teaching is to eliminate all measurements. (Mana)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

mikenz66

Re: Any other Black people on Dhammawheel?

Post by mikenz66 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 am
The ultimate aim of Buddhist teaching is to eliminate all measurements. (Mana)
The overcoming of māna - conceit or pride - is clearly one of the ultimate aims of Dhamma practice. However, māna appears to have no relevance to the activity of organising forums for particular interest groups. Forums exist for people interested in different types of Buddhism, speakers of different languages, people in different countries, and so on. At times it is helpful to be able to discuss issues with someone of similar background. At other times it is helpful to learn from people with different backgrounds.

:heart:
Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 am

However, māna appears to have no relevance to the activity of organising forums for particular interest groups.
If Dhamma Wheel named as White Dhamma Wheel I would not have joined here.
I was intimidated many times as black by westerners.
Even with that in mind I will not join a black or white specific group as I still think it is wrong.
If someone say Sri Lankan Buddhist association it will have a less weight than saying Black Buddhist Association.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 am
However, māna appears to have no relevance to the activity of organising forums for particular interest groups.
If Dhamma Wheel named as White Dhamma Wheel I would not have joined here.
I was intimidated many times as black by westerners.
Even with that in mind I will not join a black or white specific group as I still think it is wrong.
If someone say Sri Lankan Buddhist association it will have a less weight than saying Black Buddhist Association.
Sarath who intimidated you .. just name the forum and user_id .. I will take care of the rest

On a more serious note .. whites here and in other forums have always been perfectly courteous to me. The only person with whom I ever got into a serious race related argument (in another forum) was an African American. He blamed Indians in USA of discriminating against blacks in USA .. and it was a free for all.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 am

was an African American
My biggest surprise is a Chinese calling me black.
I think Chinese think they are better than blacks.
I think Mana is responsible for all the wars in the world.
Because every person thinks that they are superior to the other.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 am
was an African American
My biggest surprise is a Chinese calling me black.
I think Chinese think they are better than blacks.
I think Mana is responsible for all the wars in the world.
Because every person thinks that they are superior to the other.
You should have called him a pointy eyed dog eater .. at which he would have protested that you are describing a Korean .. and you could have said if all dark skinned people are same to him .. the same mistake can happen with others too :lol:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 am

You should have called him a pointy eyed dog eater
This is what exactly Buddha want to avoid.
This all a result of Atta Sanna.
We should remind ourselves Anatta all the time otherwise no point calling ourselves Buddhists.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue May 22, 2018 4:29 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 am
You should have called him a pointy eyed dog eater
This is what exactly Buddha want to avoid.
This all a result of Atta Sanna.
We should remind ourselves Anatta all the time otherwise no point calling ourselves Buddhists.
Correct. But Buddha never participated in a forum. On forums retort best you can but in real life never forget the Dhamma. Forum is not real life.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 4:34 am

Forum is not real life.
How come a forum is not teal life?
It is electronic communication.
One can get sued for defamation.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 am

SarathW wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:34 am
Forum is not real life.
How come a forum is not teal life?
It is electronic communication.
One can get sued for defamation.
We are disembodied electrons speaking to each other .. we do not even know each other's name, gender, age, place of stay ... basic details

If I behave badly with you .. does not mean I am going to behave badly with you in real life (assuming we do not know each other's real name)

My forum persona is antipodal to my real persona. In real life I am the politest person you will find.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 am

Greetings No_Mind,
No_Mind wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 am
My forum persona is antipodal to my real persona. In real life I am the politest person you will find.
Yet, the cittas of each are equally real.

To what extent is your "forum persona" real, and to what extent is it an "act"? Kamma doesn't make exemption, simply because you're "acting"...

Actors go to Hell?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 am

My forum persona is antipodal to my real persona.
My understanding is your real persona come in a forum.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 am
Greetings No_Mind,
No_Mind wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:03 am
Yet, the cittas of each are equally real.

To what extent is your "forum persona" real, and to what extent is it an "act"? Kamma doesn't make exemption, simply because you're "acting"...

Actors go to Hell?

Metta,
My forum persona is not me. Its kamma belongs to no one .. it is not a kamma at all .. is the sound of wind blowing through a forest a kamma .. forums are sort of the same.

Only when my physical body is present and my identity is know does the kamma become my own.

Note - I am making this argument only about forums not about Facebook or other social media

Edit Add - say there was a FB group of DW and I joined .. do you think I would say anything contentious (not that I have said anything contentious in this forum .. bar one time when I got mad because a CNN anchor said "Only in USA can such peaceful transition of power happen" or similar words)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 am

Greetings No_Mind,
No_Mind wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 am
Only when my physical body is present and my identity is know does the kamma become my own.
Actually, the Dhamma teaches otherwise.

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & mind." (AN 6.63)

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Tue May 22, 2018 5:32 am

No_Mind wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 am

My forum persona is not me. Its kamma belongs to no one .. it is not a kamma at all .. is the sound of wind blowing through a forest a kamma .. forums are sort of the same.

Note - I am making this argument only about forums not about Facebook or other social media

Edit Add - say there was a FB group of DW and I joined .. do you think I would say anything contentious (not that I have said anything contentious in this forum .. bar one time when I got mad because a CNN anchor said "Only in USA can such peaceful transition of power happen" or similar words)

Not sure if i understand the way you are using the word "kamma here". Don't you think your actions on this forum affect your mind as everywhere else?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.