Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Grigoris

Re: Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

Post by Grigoris »

I remember as a school kid in New Zealand the national anthem was "God Save the Queen", the Sex Pistols version came out about the same time I started to understand the ridiculousness of singing God Save the Queen on the complete opposite side of the planet from the Queen...
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Whatever I may feel about her grandson .. I have always respected the Queen .. unshakeable is the only word which comes to my mind when I think of her .. would not mind a statue of her in Calcutta but I guess others do not share my nostalgia for the British Raj.

This is the most moving rendition of God Save the Queen I have heard

There is something about Britain that I love .. could never put my finger on exactly what (probably because below its dirt, grime and soot whole of Calcutta's old district built in 19th century resembles London, in its layout and architecture, and thus Britain seems more familiar than USA or Europe) .. but it moves me in ways no other country can

Few examples of British colonial architecture in Calcutta .. they built the city and we (rather our politicians) destroyed its backbone by allowing illegal shops and shanties to sprout up everywhere.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 pm Whatever I may feel about her grandson .. I have always respected the Queen ..
Harry? What's wrong with Harry? He likes Vegas, after all. :tongue:

I think it's pretty certain he won't be frolicking around Vegas any more.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

DNS wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm
No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 pm Whatever I may feel about her grandson .. I have always respected the Queen ..
Harry? What's wrong with Harry? He likes Vegas, after all. :tongue:

I think it's pretty certain he won't be frolicking around Vegas any more.
What about dressing up as a Nazi officer?

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 pm What about dressing up as a Nazi officer?
It was a costume party. I personally would never do that. Everyone makes mistakes, that's why pencils have erasers (Lenny Leonard).

Bad taste perhaps, but not a serious sin.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Grigoris wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:39 pm I remember as a school kid in New Zealand the national anthem was "God Save the Queen", the Sex Pistols version came out about the same time I started to understand the ridiculousness of singing God Save the Queen on the complete opposite side of the planet from the Queen...
Yes, times have changed. Now we start off in Māori, which is nice, since the English words of God Defend New Zealand are a bit naff...

I think the monarchy has become rather irrelevant here, though Harry was mobbed when he visited a couple of years ago. I do like the idea of my monarchs being safely over the other side of the world, funded by someone else... :tongue:

In practice our Governor General is the head of state, and they are selected locally (and only have a figure-head capacity).

:heart:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Meghan Markle's mother and father were married in the SRF (Guru Yogananda) temple in Malibu, California. Her mother was a yoga teacher and social worker.

https://www.refinery29.com/2018/04/1968 ... hy-details

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Quite a few memes have been doing the rounds of facebook. This one reflects my own attitude very nicely.

watching-royals.png
watching-royals.png (290.08 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
:coffee:
Kim
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Reuters TV will start its coverage online at 4:30 ET. Here's a link if you'd like to watch. They will also be streaming via OS and Android apps, Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV

The Order of Service, including two unexpected musical choices.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

and only have a figure-head capacity
Do not underestimate the hidden power.
Governer general sacked the prime minister Gough Whitlam.
What if GG sack NZ prime minister.
Who can stop that?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Prince Harry's marriage has turned me into a seer who has serious problem of papañca (mental proliferation)
Thank you for the news.
The only way I get news now days is from DW and gossips as I do not watch TV or read newspapers.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I'm going to watch the wedding tonight with my mother, it will be a nice sociable time with family.
Watching big public events like this... it's like watching motor-racing... there's always the chance of a spectacular crash or accident. Plus they have bunting. How often do you get to see bunting in this century!
SarathW wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:29 am What if GG sack NZ prime minister.
Who can stop that?
The Queen would stop that. The Governor General is answerable to the Crown.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 am I'm going to watch the wedding tonight with my mother, it will be a nice sociable time with family.
Watching big public events like this... it's like watching motor-racing... there's always the chance of a spectacular crash or accident. Plus they have bunting. How often do you get to see bunting in this century!
SarathW wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:29 am What if GG sack NZ prime minister.
Who can stop that?
The Queen would stop that. The Governor General is answerable to the Crown.
The Queen didn't stop it in Australia in 1975.

:jedi:
Kim
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Kim OHara wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 am The Queen didn't stop it in Australia in 1975.

:jedi:
Kim
I'm a bit shaky on my Australian political history, but wasn't it justified and a good call in the end?
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Hopefully by the time George marries 25 years or more later society will have changed and people will not be as fascinated by the Royals as they are now.

I cannot understand celebrity culture. If George Clooney or Lionel Messi or Virat Kohli gets married how does it affect me?

But then I cannot understand so many things people do .. buy copies of designer clothes .. and so on.

I find it easier to understand business owners .. they are insecure .. so they need more and more money .. million to hundred million to billion to tens of billions .. one can sort of understand that.

But all these people from France and Spain and USA camping outside Windsor Castle for last 24 hours. What do they get?

BBC asked one of them .. a black woman .. and she replied "I get to be within few feet of them and maybe take a selfie." What kind of reason is that? How little self esteem do you have that you feel honoured to be within few feet of celebrity.

But then I would have been excited to be in same room with Stephen Hawking or Gandhi .. so I guess I have my own version of celebrity following .. but I would not wait outside a venue to catch a glimpse of them .. no one is worth that much importance.

Edit Add - I would wait outside a venue (for few minutes to an hour) to catch glimpse of Springsteen and Dylan .. only two celebrities I put on a pedestal.

Last edited by No_Mind on Sat May 19, 2018 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.