Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SarathW

Re: Harry, Meghan and my Papañca

Post by SarathW »

She had a relationship with a wealthy man
So becoming wealthy is better than be a prince?
I know she had a relationship with an Indian doctor. Does this mean becoming a doctor is better than becoming a prince?
Or did she need love?
Is being loved is better than living with a prince?
Can't an Indian child in a slum get some love?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 pm So what? We don't live in an equal society, what about all the billionaires in other parts of the world? - get used to it!
Billionaires in other parts of the world are not subsidised by tax payers is the point being discussed. If you are not willing to discuss that particular point .. then why argue?

As far as other monarchies go -

In Saudi Arabia .. they provide governance (of whichever sort) .. and most ordinary Saudi citizens live a life so lavish that you cannot even begin to imagine it in UK (on top of it there are no taxes)

Same with Brunei.

In Japan the Emperor has a personal net worth of only $40 million and all actual expenditures* are paid by government. Since same maid cannot wipe the floor and table (according to Japanese custom) the palace needs 160 servants and running cost is $150 million .. but the RF of Japan always has an apologetic face and all their princesses have married commoners and opted out of the RF .. they stay as far in shadows as possible.

In other places like Libya .. the rulers are despotic but can be strangled to death and then beheaded .. I am not sure RF of Britain will go for that option ..

Otherwise, billionaires from Warren Buffet to Carlos Slim Helú to Mark Zuckerberg put in 80-100 hours a week to get where they are.

*actual expenditure - in UK the Queen has substantial income from profits of the Crown Estate which she surrenders to the government but receives 15% of the amount she surrendered 2 years ago (roughly $40-50 million per year income) and she also receives Sovereign Grant which pays for the family's travel, palace upkeep and utilities and royal employee payroll.

Hence she has personal wealth in region of $200 million at least (to do with as she wishes). Finances of the RF are as complicated as those of the Vatican .. add to it income of Prince Charles in region of $30 million a year from Duchy of Cornwall and there is no reason why they cannot pay for the marriage in instalments.

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

SarathW wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:23 am
She had a relationship with a wealthy man
So becoming wealthy is better than be a prince?
I know she had a relationship with an Indian doctor. Does this mean becoming a doctor is better than becoming a prince?
Not an Indian doctor but Pakistani doctor ..

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 amSee what about the fate of Diana?
While being part of the RF, she was very unhappy.
No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 amRubbish ..

The sadness that the Royals face is .. why my brooch is 34 carat diamond compared to my sister-in-law's 50 carat one .. or why did my father give me 200 sq km from his Duchy and my brother 350 sq km.
I don't think we commoners can even imagine what it's like to be a royal. I strongly doubt they think about things like you mention before.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:05 am
She divorced when young .. received alimony of $22.5 million and $600,000 every year and kept her Kensington Palace apartment.

She had affairs before and after marriage .. cannot really see her misery.
No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:28 amRubbish ..

The sadness that the Royals face is .. why my brooch is 34 carat diamond compared to my sister-in-law's 50 carat one .. or why did my father give me 200 sq km from his Duchy and my brother 350 sq km.
I don't think we commoners can even imagine what it's like to be a royal. I strongly doubt they think about things like you mention before.
You are missing the point .. Princess Eugenie and Beatrice (daughters of Prince Andrew) are said to be unhappy over being chopped of the Civil List (list of full time Royals whose expenses are borne by the government) by Prince Charles https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2034713/p ... -taxpayer/

That "misery" is not the same tribulation faced by someone of ordinary means who cannot afford medicine.

The query I posed is very simple -

In a modern western nation $32 million is spent for a wedding by tax payers but an ordinary patient has to live 7 weeks with gallstone pain because hospitals are at breaking point

The groom's father spends only for food, alcohol and flowers .. his means are enough to pay $20 million back to the government over next decade (that would be $2 million a year out of $30 million yearly income) but he will not do so.

How do you view this?

binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 amYou are missing the point .. Princess Eugenie and Beatrice (daughters of Prince Andrew) are said to be unhappy over being chopped of the Civil List (list of full time Royals whose expenses are borne by the government) by Prince Charles https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2034713/p ... -taxpayer/
Clearly, there are royals, and then there are royals ...
That "misery" is not the same tribulation faced by someone of ordinary means who cannot afford medicine.
The query I posed is very simple -
In a modern western nation $32 million is spent for a wedding by tax payers but an ordinary patient has to live 7 weeks with gallstone pain because hospitals are at breaking point
The groom's father spends only for food, alcohol and flowers .. his means are enough to pay $20 million back to the government over next decade (that would be $2 million a year out of $30 million yearly income) but he will not do so.
How do you view this?
That this is just how the world is.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

A New Zealand point of view...

Lorde wrote:And we'll never be royals (royals).
It don't run in our blood,
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.
Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.
:heart:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

And an awesome tribute by Bruce in Auckland a few years ago...

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thank you Mike, for reminding my old Favourite.
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 am
She divorced when young .. received alimony of $22.5 million and $600,000 every year and kept her Kensington Palace apartment.
There are recorded interviews with her where she clearly said how unhappy she was when married to Charles.
cannot really see her misery.
Do you really think that money and affairs guarantee that a person will be happy??????? !
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

binocular wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm
No_Mind wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 am
There are recorded interviews with her where she clearly said how unhappy she was when married to Charles.
She was unhappy due to her hedonism. Had nothing to do with RF. I suggest you study her life in greater detail.

She took a wrong decision .. she married a man 13 years elder to her because she thought it would be fun. When she found out it was not fun .. she got a very nice settlement. If Charles cheated on her .. she also cheated on Charles (before divorce). Her hedonism led to her misery not the RF per se

What happened to her (husband cheating with another woman) happens to millions of women .. but they do not get a fraction of the sympathy or the alimony she received. She was well compensated for her problems.

Surely you have taken a wrong decision in your life. No one gave you $22.5 million and an annuity of $600,000 for your error (back in 1996 when things were cheaper)
binocular wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm
cannot really see her misery.
Do you really think that money and affairs guarantee that a person will be happy??????? !
No one is naive enough to believe that money guarantees happiness .. but I would rather sob over lost love while sipping Dom Perignon in Tahiti (while someone massages my back with warm oil) than be suffering rape in hands of dozen sweaty, hefty men belonging to Boko Haram in Africa or be crying due angina pain because I cannot buy ranolazine since I cannot afford $450 a month

All miseries are not the same. Get over your naivete.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I mostly agree with No_Mind; misery can come in all socioeconomic classes, but clearly the most misery is among the impoverished. The biggest gain in happiness comes when one comes out of poverty. It continues to rise up to the peak at about middle-class to upper-middle class. After that it is diminishing returns with the rich still relatively happy, but the line starts to decrease slightly due to the extra stress from increased responsibilities, increased expectations placed upon them, etc. For Royals, we could place them in the upper classes, diminishing returns area of the graph with the happiness line going down slightly, but no where near the poverty level of misery.

(dollar numbers are from 2010 so we may need to increase those for inflation, to around $100 K or so)
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Didn't care much for the wedding but Amal Clooney looked fine as hell. :jawdrop:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

The thread is wandering all over the place at this stage so I can't possibly be OT :tongue:
Here's a really good look at the way Meghan was identified, from one of our best journalists, and one who happens to have considerable personal experience of the issue.
What race is Meghan Markle? The world has seemed obsessed with the question.

The Royal wedding commentary returned to it time and again, as the bride was referred to as "mixed race" or "biracial".

One British commentator part of ABC's coverage, even wondered ridiculously about the future children of Meghan and Harry who, in her words, could be "all sorts of colours".

Race does not exist. ...

Scientifically, race is rubbish: yet, it matters. It matters because as a society we have made it matter. ... It is an utterly discredited notion; scientists know it is nonsense to even speak of race. ...

Historian and social scientist David Hollinger has called for Americans to "push yet harder against the authority that shape and colour have historically been allowed by society to exert over our culture".

Hollinger, in his book Post-ethnic America, dismisses the idea of "fixed" identities, he favours making room for new communities that promotes solidarity between people beyond definitions of race or ethnicity.

As he says we "live in an age not of identities but affiliations".

It is a worthy idea that remains a work in progress. ...
:reading: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/r ... al/9786206

Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What race is Meghan Markle?
My biggest question is how this new discoveries come just before a major event.
Few years before Obama became the First black president the theory of human evolution dated back to Africa.
Few month before Meghan became Royal, Cheddar man in England came to news.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... is-reveals